Need camera suggestions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ronald Nosack, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Ronald Nosack

Ronald Nosack New Member

Hello country riding enthusiasts,

Can anyone come up with a good suggestion for bike camera? I don't care about imaging myself or anyone else. This is a " serious amateur/business " camera - not a toy for selfies.

I have boiled down the requirements in the following image. Right now I'm carrying a Nikon D5300 DSLR, and it meets all the requirements. I'm just wondering if anything else is out there.

I have looked at the various mirrorless cameras, but they are all lacking in several aspects. Cell phones are not even in the ballpark.
    [​IMG]

Tags:
    wahedjitu likes this.

2. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

Get Lightroom and Photoshop (GImp free alternative online and close to same).

One can do some nice editing with these 2 programs.

I have a Canon Rebel T3. Only thing I don't like is that it does not have the remote signals so I can't use a wireless remote. I bought the camera thinking it did thanks to the professionals at Best Buy who don't know what they are talking about. I would have gotten the T6 if I had known they were wrong.

But other than that, it's the photographer, not the camera. What you have as long as it's has full manual mode is fine I'm sure.

After realizing my camera does not have the rf signal, I thought about buying a better model but it would be a waste unless I had an indoor studio to take portraits.

A better use of your money is buy a variety of lenses. I bought a 50 mm fixed lens for $125 that works nice. A 70-275 zoom lens that works really nice. Funny though, my all around lens is the kit lens provided. Very versatile.

If you are doing wildlife, I'd say invest your money on a nice zoom lens with stabilization. Stabilization makes a big difference with zoom and hand held shots.

#2 Mr. Beanz, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    wahedjitu likes this.
  3. Ronald Nosack

Ronald Nosack New Member

4. Mr. Beanz

As you can see, I like night photography using full manual settings. Fun stuff! Not bad for a low end camera.

Kit lens

IMG_2638-2.JPG

I used a zoom from up on the boardwalk. Using a tripod at night over the Colorado River in Laughlin.

000Laughlinscene1.jpg

wahedjitu likes this.
  5. Ronald Nosack

Ronald Nosack New Member

Thank you for your reply.

I already have Lightroom and have puttered with Gimp. I prefer ACDSee editing software though. My needs are very basic.

For lenses, I have an 18–55, and a 70-300. Also a 105 Micro Nikkor for close-up work in the basement. This is a $600.00 lens. Way more than the camera cost. All my lenses are stabilized.

Has your Canon handled harsh vibrations; such as being on a rear rack and shocked/vibrated on chip-&-seal/potholed roads for a few thousand miles? I'm kind of worried that my mirror is going to go to hell. I have carried it on a strap and that works, but is clumsy.

Will your Canon date imprint on the photo? In the high quality settings? I know all about pulling exif data and using it elsewhere. Very clumsy.

Can you drop down to full manual control? Is your viewing screen the flippy kind? This is very important doing close-up work on a tripod or taking low shots.
    Sincerely, Ron

6. Mr. Beanz

I've never put my camera in a position of rear rack vibrations for thousands of miles. I carry mine in a pretty nice padded back pack type case and don't carry it on the bike. I use a point and shoot for bike pics. If I head out to take pics with my good camera, I drive.

I haven't looked to use a datecode on my pics. Wouldn't matter to me as I have lightroom and can add watermarks or whatever else I want. On my pic files, the date shows so I could easily date them with a watermark.

I know nothing of exif data, never needed it so I never looked into it, whatever it is! :D

My camera has full manual control with several other settings I don't use, aperture priority and others that are useless to me since I use full manual.

I have taken macro shots with a filter using the eye piece. I prefer it as I focus according to the center focal point setting I prefer.

I don't have and no need for the swivel screen thing. Never needed it and again, prefer the eye piece as my focal point. The screen is not as effective imo. Not that one can not use it for some things but I have never had a problem.

Macro shot using the eye piece. No problem with low shots that I have had that would warrant the swivel screen.

I manage macro shots with the cheap filter I got in a $30 kit I bought online. I don't think I would get my money out of an expensive macro lens for what I do, which is playing around.:p

02.JPG 23622251_1790301624375661_922671743836299638_n.JPG

7. Mr. Beanz

Please post some of your macro shots. Would love to see what a good macro lens does. :cool:

8. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

that Nikon is not ruggedly built, while it is a nice camera it won't hold up long to abuse. The camera I'm going to show you is not professional grade, but it is rugged. I have an earlier version of the camera and it does indeed take a lot of abuse, though it doesn't have all of your wants it has most...I think. Anyway you'll probably laugh at this camera but here it is anyways: https://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-...st&start=1&cgid=lumix-point-and-shoot-cameras

9. Ronald Nosack

Ronald Nosack New Member

I just saw your posting. What we like is edge-to-edge sharpness. The scale/rule photos will tell you all you want. The stamp is just for fun, but does show what we like.

I tried my best to get the close-up adapter to do better. I will take it into the field instead of the expensive lens. Many times I'm on the beach and the sand is really flying. Also, the reason we like a threaded lens is for a circular polarizer. This is must if you are around water.

Froze, I am going to take a look at the Panasonic. It sounds tough, but may lack features. I'm really busy right now with re-barreling a Remington and don't have time to chat. Thanks for your considered reply though.

Attached Files:

10. Mr. Beanz

Ah yes, the circular polarizer is cool. I have one but rarely use it as I really have don't many water sources to choose from. Looking through the water is cool.

But as far as clouds, I find using different settings does the same job. CP is supposed to make the clouds nicer looking but I found with manual settings, it does the same job.

Plus, every lens I have has threads for screwing on filters. My kit lens and even the fixed 50 mm lens I bought for $125 (nice lens for little money) also has it. But different lenses are different sizes so if you buy multiple lenses you may need multiple sizes of circular polarizing lenses.

Yes, I like the sharp edges on the subject. Some people get carried away with the f/1.8 and do too much bokeh on the subject. Nice having a blurry background but overdoing it so much that the subject is blurry as well isn't my taste. :p

11. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member