Need Campy Shifter Help

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
I've always been a Shimano guy, but my CF Soloist came Campy and it's too expensive to change it to Dura Ace. But anyway, my carbon fiber Chorus shifter blades got nicked. So I want to replace the CF handle blade with a Record blade, - can I do this? Anyone know where I can get the part for cheap? How much would it cost and where do I get instructions on how to rebuild Campy shifters? Also, I do not know how to remove or tighten these shifters!

JTE83 said:
I've always been a Shimano guy, but my CF Soloist came Campy and it's too expensive to change it to Dura Ace. But anyway, my carbon fiber Chorus shifter blades got nicked. So I want to replace the CF handle blade with a Record blade, - can I do this? Anyone know where I can get the part for cheap? How much would it cost and where do I get instructions on how to rebuild Campy shifters? Also, I do not know how to remove or tighten these shifters!
Campagnolo components are fully rebuildable, and nearly every single part can be purchased from an authorized dealer.

All the info you need is here:

http://www.branfordbike.com/cgi-bin...ge=brake/big/bk05bigg.html&ORDER_ID=938964878

cheers and good luck!

1. Branford is the Campy source.
2. You can put Record levers on Chorus shifters, but why would you want to? Do you just want to pay more for levers? For that matter, why are you changing them if they just got nicked?
3. The Campy website has exploded diagrams for such things, and I believe Zen and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance by Leonard Zinn covers Campy brifter rebuild. You can also check Youtube. There are a few videos there of various Campy maintenance procedures.
4. To remove the shifters, roll the brifter hoods toward the front of the brifter and you'll see the head of a hexbolt pointing up and to the back of the bike. Loosen to remove. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

It's not hard, but again, you've got a perfectly serviceable lever, so why bother? If you're bothered by the nick, sand it down and then touch up with some clearcoat or clear nail polish.

Ok, thanks for the advice and I bookmarked the site. Gee those blades are expensive!

JTE83 said:
Ok, thanks for the advice and I bookmarked the site. Gee those blades are expensive!
Unless there was serious damage, I'd say just keep riding the ones you have. If you take care of them, you could sell them in a year or so, and then use the proceeds to upgrade to Record.

JTE83 said:
What is a nick worth? But definitely cheaper than buying a brand new shifter.

you can also check out bikeman.com, they have a lot of small parts for all brands of components. that's where i got the carbon pulley hangers for my record derailuar. they where also the cheapest i found.