Need Christmas Eve salad help

Janet Bostwick

Guest
I need a new salad to go with the traditional Christmas Eve dinner. This is a homey, festive affair;
not a formal do. The main course is Manhattan Clam Chowder(can't do anything about that, it's
tradition). We usually stand and chat, nibble on cheeses, drink a little wine as guests(family and
close friends) are arriving. The salad is served as a course with crusty bread and garlic butter.
I'm looking for something new, maybe with mixed baby greens, not very fussy, but with one or two
interesting ingredients and an interesting dressing. Something that will be worth eating for itself,
not just a green salad to be hurried through because it supplies the correct balance to the meal.
I've made a tossed salad with lots of ingredients for years that everyone loves, but frankly, I'm
tired of it. For dessert I am offering a choice of 62nd Street Lemon Cake or Chocolate Cherry Pound
Cake. This is the kind of meal where everyone eats, drinks and talks for hours.

Could you also suggest a white wine and a red as well. I have both kinds of wine drinkers coming and
the whites won't touch red and vice versa, and I'd like some new ideas there as well.

Any and all ideas considered, as I have been hosting and preparing this meal for somewhere between
25-30 years and am bored. I'm allowed to changes desserts with frequency but I've never tampered
with the salad before. Help

Janet

How about a shrimp salad?

Red wine - Merlot White wine - ....how about Ambrosia, by Christy. It's a honey mead.

I'm not much of a salad eater, but I figure seafood salad might go over better with a seafood based
main course.

In article <[email protected]>, "Janet Bostwick"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I need a new salad to go with the traditional Christmas Eve dinner. This is a homey, festive
> affair; not a formal do. The main course is Manhattan Clam Chowder(can't do anything about that,
> it's tradition). We usually stand and chat, nibble on cheeses, drink a little wine as
> guests(family and close friends) are arriving. The salad is served as a course with crusty bread
> and garlic butter. I'm looking for something new, maybe with mixed baby greens, not very fussy,
> but with one or two interesting ingredients and

I like a mixed green salad using "assertive greens" (some bitters, such as arugula, chicory, etc.
with the more bland greens) and a little mild goat cheese tossed with walnuts and raisins. This
is served with a champagne vinegar and oil dressing. Add the goat cheese *after* you're done with
the dressing!

I've done this with a variant of dried cranberries or cherries instead of raisins (I like the dried
cherries) and/or "candied" walnuts - walnuts that have been crisp baked with a coating of cinnamon
and sugar (or Splenda in my case) held in place with a coating of eggwhite.

Hope that helps.

Re: wines - no clue.

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the ;) to send mail).

>On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:37:08 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I need a new salad to go with the traditional Christmas Eve dinner.

Not as fancy as some of the other delicious-looking recipes, but my current favorite is spinach with
a little crumbled blue cheese, and candied (or just toasted) pecans. I dress with EVOO, rice
vinegar, and black pepper. (I'm trying to avoid salt, but a little couldn't hurt).

"Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:37:08 -0700, "Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>I need a new salad to go with the traditional Christmas Eve dinner.
>
> Not as fancy as some of the other delicious-looking recipes, but my current favorite is spinach
> with a little crumbled blue cheese, and candied (or just toasted) pecans. I dress with EVOO, rice
> vinegar, and black pepper. (I'm trying to avoid salt, but a little couldn't hurt).

I love this combination. If you start with toasted pecans and blue cheese, how can you go
wrong? Janet

"Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > >snip
> I need a new salad to go with the traditional Christmas Eve dinner.> >
> > > Janet
> >
> > I would be very tempted to go to and American antipasto for the salad course. There are just so
> > many good and flavorful things to add and no
> one
> > can contest the crusty bread with the salad. I would be sure to use a
nice
> > red wine vinegar and EVOO dressing. I would serve that with a good zinfandel as it will hold up
> > to strong flavors.
> >
> > Dimitri
>
> Do you mean something like this?
>
> 1 small head cauliflower separated into small pieces 1 green bell pepper cut into strips 1 large
> carrot cut into strips 4 stalks celery sliced 2 tomatoes cut into eighths 1 jar cocktail onions 1
> clove garlic minced
> 1/2 pound small whole mushrooms stemmed 1 cup EVOO 1 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
> 1/3 cup sugar 2 tablespoons prepared mustard 2 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon oregano leaves Sauté
> minced garlic and mushrooms in oil until tender. Add next 5 ingredients.. Pour this marinade
> over vegetables. Cover and chill 12 or more hours. Stir often. Arrange vegetables in a lettuce
> lined bowl and garnish with anchovies and olives. Serves 12
>

> I have been making this salad:
>
> Peasant Salad 1 large head romaine lettuce 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch wedges 6-8
> radishes thinly sliced 4 green onions cut into 1/4 inch slices 6 ounces feta cheese coarsely
> crumbled
> 1/4 pound imported Greek black olives 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh mint
> 1/2 cup olive oil 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar 1 clove garlic,
> crushed
> 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano
>
> Tear lettuce into bite-size pieces. Add tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, onions, cheese and olives.
> Sprinkle with mint. Blend remain ingredients
in
> small bowl with whisk. Pour over salad; toss lightly till thoroughly
mixed.
> Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.
>
> For wine, I have been serving a Zin. Janet

Either will do - don't forget slices of a good dried salami, some cheese and nice big shavings of
Parmigiano Reggiano.

Basically, a large platter, just a torn lettuce as a base and arrange what ever you want in sections
then use the tomato wedges around the outside as a decoration. You would want to create something
people can eat with their eyes then serve themselves what ever they want. A little of this and a
little of that. You know what I mean?

Dimitri

Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> dogsnus wrote:
>>
>> [email protected] (ConnieG999) wrote in
>
>> > I'd like to see you do a simple but classic Caesar salad.
>>
>> MMMMM!
>>
>> My best salad experience was when my step-daughter, who was a chef at Vivandi's in San Francisco
>> the time, prepared one for us with a homemade dressing complete with anchovy paste and homemade
>> croutons. It remains still, the best salads I have ever eaten.
>
> Oh, geez, now you've done it. With any luck you will get by because you didn't say it was Caesar
> salad with anchovy.

Well, whatever it was I did, I'm sure it's not the first time nor will it be the last. Mispelled
salad(s), perhaps?
:)

Terri

dogsnus wrote:

> Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in
>
> > dogsnus wrote:
> >>
> >> [email protected] (ConnieG999) wrote in

> >> MMMMM!
> >>
> >> My best salad experience was when my step-daughter, who was a chef at Vivandi's in San
> >> Francisco the time, prepared one for us with a homemade dressing complete with anchovy paste
> >> and homemade croutons. It remains still, the best salads I have ever eaten.
> >
> > Oh, geez, now you've done it. With any luck you will get by because you didn't say it was Caesar
> > salad with anchovy.
> >
> Well, whatever it was I did, I'm sure it's not the first time nor will it be the last. Mispelled
> salad(s), perhaps?
> :)

(laugh) You put anchovy in your Caesar salad, the real thing didn't have that and it drives some
people nuts when you do and call it Caesar salad. Other dishes to be careful about: chili and
Fettucini Alfredo. Tread carefully. (smile)

nancy

Nancy Young typed:
> dogsnus wrote:
>>
>> Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in

>>> Oh, geez, now you've done it. With any luck you will get by because you didn't say it was Caesar
>>> salad with anchovy.
>>>
>> Well, whatever it was I did, I'm sure it's not the first time nor will it be the last. Mispelled
>> salad(s), perhaps?
>> :)
>
> (laugh) You put anchovy in your Caesar salad, the real thing didn't have that and it drives some
> people nuts when you do and call it Caesar salad. Other dishes to be careful about: chili and
> Fettucini Alfredo. Tread carefully. (smile)
>
> nancy

You forgot "moosmeating" ribs, smothering them in sauce, and calling it barbecue.

BOB sauce is for covering mistakes

Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in news:3FD5EA78.29EE7190
@mail.monmouth.com:

> dogsnus wrote:
>>
>> Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in

>> > Oh, geez, now you've done it. With any luck you will get by because you didn't say it was
>> > Caesar salad with anchovy.
>> >
>> Well, whatever it was I did, I'm sure it's not the first time nor will it be the last. Mispelled
>> salad(s), perhaps?
>> :)
>
> (laugh) You put anchovy in your Caesar salad, the real thing didn't have that and it drives some
> people nuts when you do and call it Caesar salad. Other dishes to be careful about: chili and
> Fettucini Alfredo. Tread carefully. (smile)
>
> nancy

Some people are nuts anyway. Anchovy would not make a difference. <G>

Wayne

Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> dogsnus wrote:
>>
>> Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote in

>> Well, whatever it was I did, I'm sure it's not the first time nor will it be the last. Mispelled
>> salad(s), perhaps?
>> :)
>
> (laugh) You put anchovy in your Caesar salad, the real thing didn't have that and it drives some
> people nuts when you do and call it Caesar salad.
Then I'm safe, because *I* didn't put it in there. And, it was anchovy paste. And, it was still
very, very good!

Other dishes to be careful about: chili

I'm familiar with this danger, having had a grandfather who was adamant about *no beans* ever coming
into contact with his beloved chili recipe.

and
> Fettucini Alfredo.
Never met the man.
:)