Need Cleats 4 Older 105 Triangular Shaped Pedals

Sir Ridesalot

Guest
Hi there.

I need a pair of cleats that will fit the older Shimano 105, N-600 and
or Dura Ace triangular shaped pedals, Does any one know where I can
get these? They look very similar to the original Look clipless
pedals.

I do not want to go the Ebay route.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers from Peter

"Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi there.
>
> I need a pair of cleats that will fit the older Shimano 105, N-600 and
> or Dura Ace triangular shaped pedals, Does any one know where I can
> get these? They look very similar to the original Look clipless
> pedals.
>
> I do not want to go the Ebay route.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers from Peter

Maybe I am missing something, but I thought the "Made in France" Shimano
pedals used actual Look (Arc) cleats?

On Aug 8, 10:48 pm, "Kurd" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Hi there.

> > I need a pair of cleats that will fit the older Shimano 105, N-600 and
> > or Dura Ace triangular shaped pedals, Does any one know where I can
> > get these? They look very similar to the original Look clipless
> > pedals.

> > I do not want to go the Ebay route.

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Cheers from Peter

> Maybe I am missing something, but I thought the "Made in France" Shimano
> pedals used actual Look (Arc) cleats?

The cleats from both my older Look and newer Wellgo pedals do not have
the slot in the rear of the cleat that engages the pedal cage.

Cheers from Peter

"Vetera semper in laude, presentia in fastidio." - Tacitus

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 18:27:46 -0700, Sir Ridesalot
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I need a pair of cleats that will fit the older Shimano 105, N-600 and
>or Dura Ace triangular shaped pedals, Does any one know where I can
>get these? They look very similar to the original Look clipless
>pedals.

I stock the Shimano PD-64 cleats to which I believe you're referring.
See the picture and description at the bottom of this page:
http://www.businesscycles.com/tped-shim.htm
Follow the link under the photo for pricing and ordering information.
Thanks -
-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
Phone: 305-273-4440

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> I need a pair of cleats that will fit the older Shimano 105, N-600 and
> or Dura Ace triangular shaped pedals, Does any one know where I can
> get these? They look very similar to the original Look clipless
> pedals.
> I do not want to go the Ebay route.

Does your pedal body say "Made in France by Look"? (Shimano, Mavic and
Campagnolo sold rebadged Looks for years)

Classic Look Delta cleat hasn't changed since 1984 or so. - any
competent LBS will have both regular and 'arc' floating cleat sets.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 20:16:20 -0700, Sir Ridesalot
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Aug 8, 10:48 pm, "Kurd" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> > Hi there.

>> > I need a pair of cleats that will fit the older Shimano 105, N-600 and
>> > or Dura Ace triangular shaped pedals, Does any one know where I can
>> > get these? They look very similar to the original Look clipless
>> > pedals.

>> Maybe I am missing something, but I thought the "Made in France" Shimano
>> pedals used actual Look (Arc) cleats?

>The cleats from both my older Look and newer Wellgo pedals do not have
>the slot in the rear of the cleat that engages the pedal cage.

Are you talking about a clipless pedal (i.e. a rebadged Look) or the
platform pedal with clips and straps? If the latter, ordinary Sidi
nylon slotted cleats (and doubtless any traditional cleat from other
manufacturers) work just fine, although the obviously don't engage at
the front the way the Shimano originals do.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

On Aug 9, 12:01 am, John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Vetera semper in laude, presentia in fastidio." - Tacitus
>
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 18:27:46 -0700, Sir Ridesalot
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I need a pair of cleats that will fit the older Shimano 105, N-600 and
> >or Dura Ace triangular shaped pedals, Does any one know where I can
> >get these? They look very similar to the original Look clipless
> >pedals.

> I stock the Shimano PD-64 cleats to which I believe you're referring.
> See the picture and description at the bottom of this page:
> http://www.businesscycles.com/tped-shim.htm
> Follow the link under the photo for pricing and ordering information.
> Thanks -
> -------------------------------
> John Dacey
> Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
> Since 1983
> Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
> Phone: 305-273-4440http://www.businesscycles.com
> -------------------------------

Thank you.

Wow! $49.95 US per pair of cleats. I did not realize the cleats would
be twice the price of the Look clipless cleats.

Maybe I will just go back to using quill style pedals.

Cheers from Peter

On Aug 9, 12:05 am, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> > I need a pair of cleats that will fit the older Shimano 105, N-600 and
> > or Dura Ace triangular shaped pedals, Does any one know where I can
> > get these? They look very similar to the original Look clipless
> > pedals.
> > I do not want to go the Ebay route.

> Does your pedal body say "Made in France by Look"? (Shimano, Mavic and
> Campagnolo sold rebadged Looks for years)
>
> Classic Look Delta cleat hasn't changed since 1984 or so. - any
> competent LBS will have both regular and 'arc' floating cleat sets.
>
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Hi Andrew.

They are not clipless pedals. They are identical to these ones sold at
Business Cycles. >http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/1062262081/
<
I would like to find less expensive cleats. For the price of those
cleats I could buy a pair of decent Wellgo Clipless Pedals incliding
the cleats at the local bicycle shop.

After a couple of years and a number of falls because I could not
unclip in time because the leg was not in a proper position (ie: too
high = at the top of the pedal stroke) I decided to re-attach my
pedals that have toe clips and toe straps.

Cheers from Peter

On Aug 9, 12:19 pm, Kinky Cowboy <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 20:16:20 -0700, Sir Ridesalot
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Aug 8, 10:48 pm, "Kurd" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> "Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >>news:[email protected]...

> >> Maybe I am missing something, but I thought the "Made in France" Shimano
> >> pedals used actual Look (Arc) cleats?

> >The cleats from both my older Look and newer Wellgo pedals do not have
> >the slot in the rear of the cleat that engages the pedal cage.

> Are you talking about a clipless pedal (i.e. a rebadged Look) or the
> platform pedal with clips and straps? If the latter, ordinary Sidi
> nylon slotted cleats (and doubtless any traditional cleat from other
> manufacturers) work just fine, although the obviously don't engage at
> the front the way the Shimano originals do.
>
> Kinky Cowboy*
>
> *Batteries not included
> May contain traces of nuts
> Your milage may vary- Hide quoted text -

Hi there.

No I am not talking about clipless pedals.

Where can I get traditional cleats for a pair of old Adidas Eddy
Merckx cycling shoes circa 1984? All the shops near me say such cleats
are not available any more.

If I can get those cleats I'd revert to quill pedals, toeclips and
toestraps.

Thanks from Peter

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> No I am not talking about clipless pedals.
> Where can I get traditional cleats for a pair of old Adidas Eddy
> Merckx cycling shoes circa 1984? All the shops near me say such cleats
> are not available any more.
> If I can get those cleats I'd revert to quill pedals, toeclips and
> toestraps.

I believe John Dacey has the original 1984 Shimano slotted style cleats
at around $50. We have copies at $29.95.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

"lmmodicis brevis est aetas et rara senectus." - Martial

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:13:13 -0700, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
>> >I need a pair of cleats that will fit the older Shimano 105, N-600 and
>> >or Dura Ace triangular shaped pedals, Does any one know where I can
>> >get these? They look very similar to the original Look clipless
>> >pedals.

>> I stock the Shimano PD-64 cleats to which I believe you're referring.
>> See the picture and description at the bottom of this page:
>> http://www.businesscycles.com/tped-shim.htm
>> Follow the link under the photo for pricing and ordering information.
>> Thanks -

>Wow! $49.95 US per pair of cleats. I did not realize the cleats would
>be twice the price of the Look clipless cleats.
>
>Maybe I will just go back to using quill style pedals.

Yes, the cost of this cleat set has gone up. You missed the blowout
sale on
them twenty-odd years ago and the sole remaining distributor I know on
the
planet to still have a limited inventory of new old stock of this item
is
fully mindful that they have a non-renewable resource for which there
is
still considerable demand from the track racing community.

Be aware that you don't specifically need Shimano's PD-64 cleats
however.
I've got a nice slotted cleat set from Yoshida that mounts to the two
rear
holes on "Look-compatible" shoes that will work with most pedal models
designed for toe clips (including your Shimano PD-7400 pedals and
their
Ultegra and 105 counterparts). The Yoshida cleats ($28.50/pair) are
scarcely
more than half the cost of the PD-64 set. A photo is here:

http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/tr-cleats_champ.jpg

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996

John Dacey wrote:
> "Vetera semper in laude, presentia in fastidio." - Tacitus
>
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 18:27:46 -0700, Sir Ridesalot
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> I need a pair of cleats that will fit the older Shimano 105, N-600 and
>> or Dura Ace triangular shaped pedals, Does any one know where I can
>> get these? They look very similar to the original Look clipless
>> pedals.

> I stock the Shimano PD-64 cleats to which I believe you're referring.
> See the picture and description at the bottom of this page:
> http://www.businesscycles.com/tped-shim.htm
> Follow the link under the photo for pricing and ordering information.
> Thanks -

I acquired set of Shimano 105 pedals much like those via a dumpster
bike. I don't have the matching cleats. Based on the photos, it looks
like these pedals would make it difficult to extract one's feet. It also
looks like the cleats would make it difficult to walk, just like Look
cleats. Are these assessments true?

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

"Nil agit exemplum, litem quod lite resolvit." - Horace
On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 16:32:52 -0400, dvt <[email protected]> wrote:

>> See the picture and description at the bottom of this page:
>> http://www.businesscycles.com/tped-shim.htm
>> Follow the link under the photo for pricing and ordering information.
>> Thanks -

>I acquired set of Shimano 105 pedals much like those via a dumpster
>bike. I don't have the matching cleats. Based on the photos, it looks
>like these pedals would make it difficult to extract one's feet. It also
>looks like the cleats would make it difficult to walk, just like Look
>cleats. Are these assessments true?

With just a little bit of training, the synapses between brain and
foot learn to engage the little winged appendages on the front of the
PD-64 cleat such that they're not really any harder to get in/out than
other slotted cleats.

By the same token however, PD-64 cleats are every bit as much nuisance
on which to walk. They don't even have the little rubber insert found
in most Look cleats that can sometimes mitigate the likelihood of
skating on linoleum.

-------------------------------

On Aug 9, 5:22 pm, John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Nil agit exemplum, litem quod lite resolvit." - Horace
>
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 16:32:52 -0400, dvt <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> See the picture and description at the bottom of this page:
> >> http://www.businesscycles.com/tped-shim.htm
> >> Follow the link under the photo for pricing and ordering information.
> >> Thanks -

> >I acquired set of Shimano 105 pedals much like those via a dumpster
> >bike. I don't have the matching cleats. Based on the photos, it looks
> >like these pedals would make it difficult to extract one's feet. It also
> >looks like the cleats would make it difficult to walk, just like Look
> >cleats. Are these assessments true?

> With just a little bit of training, the synapses between brain and
> foot learn to engage the little winged appendages on the front of the
> PD-64 cleat such that they're not really any harder to get in/out than
> other slotted cleats.
>
> By the same token however, PD-64 cleats are every bit as much nuisance
> on which to walk. They don't even have the little rubber insert found
> in most Look cleats that can sometimes mitigate the likelihood of
> skating on linoleum.
>
> -------------------------------
> John Dacey
> Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
> Since 1983
> Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996http://www.businesscycles.com
> -------------------------------

Hi there.

I do *NOT* have any problems walking on my Look style cleats because I
have modified a pair of cheap flip-flops by cutting out an area for
each cleat on them. I added 2 straps to hold them on my feet and they
work fine. They are non-slip, very light and compact fitting easily
into the middle pocket of my cycling jersey. Cost of the flip-flops
was $2.00

Cheers from Peter

Andrew Muzi wrote:
> (A strong and aggressive young rider, a customer here, was very much
> used to his Look pedals. Riding with Shimano brand SPD clipless one
> afternoon, he pulled out in a sprint, stuck his foot in the front wheel
> at speed and ended with the normal broken collarbone....

Sh-50, SH-51 or SH-55 MTB clipless or SPD-R?

The SH-55 "M" cleats are easy to accidentally release, while that has
not been a problem with the SH-51 "S" cleats (no experience with the
other two).

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 16:32:52 -0400, dvt wrote:

> I acquired set of Shimano 105 pedals much like those via a dumpster
> bike. I don't have the matching cleats. Based on the photos, it looks
> like these pedals would make it difficult to extract one's feet. It also
> looks like the cleats would make it difficult to walk, just like Look
> cleats. Are these assessments true?

It's easy to disengage - you just twist your foot. It becomes second
nature very quickly, so much so that I often do it when I ride my
commuter bike, which only has platform pedals!

As for walking, I use SPD-SL cleat covers and walk on them flat
to avoid wear on the heel part of the shoe. It's not very hard, and
gives good grip, unlike the bare cleats. The cleats last a lot longer,
too.

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
> Sh-50, SH-51 or SH-55 MTB clipless or SPD-R?
>
> The SH-55 "M" cleats are easy to accidentally release, while that has
> not been a problem with the SH-51 "S" cleats (no experience with the
> other two).

2007 version of PD-M-959 with the included cleat set under 1 month old,
replaced a pair of PD-M-545 which were returned after a weekend for
'sloppy' fit of cleat-to-pedal.