Need clipless road pedals HELP!

tbuc

Jun 27, 2004
:eek: OK. I've been checking out clipless road pedals. Very confusing. Time, Look, Speedplay, Shimano, Crank Brothers. Yikes! I'm looking for a solid set of pedals, that won't break the bank, but that I'll be happy with for a while.

Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

tbuc said:
:eek: OK. I've been checking out clipless road pedals. Very confusing. Time, Look, Speedplay, Shimano, Crank Brothers. Yikes! I'm looking for a solid set of pedals, that won't break the bank, but that I'll be happy with for a while.

Shimano 520 mountain bike pedals. Work fine on road bikes also, Wont break the bank, great for your first set of clipless ,wont brake the bank. Do a search on ebay, I got a set for 42.00 shipped.

KakenBetaal said:
There's lots of useful information here - use the search function.

the search function is usefull, this has been discussed many times before

Speedplays are nice with a lot of float, SPD's are simple and cheap....

KakenBetaal said:
yeah theres a very long thread with the same question which is still very active.

I am currently using the Speedplays. No problems with them awesome pedal. My second option would be the crank bros. eggbeaters. Light super durable and cheap. Good luck!

SPD-SL (Shimano) are the best I've come accross. There are three models to choose from. They have a similar cleat to Look but I found them easier to clip out. Do a search on "SPD-SL" in these forums and I think you find many SPD-SL supporters.

tbuc said:

When you have a bit of cash, in my opinion, the best pedal which gives good support to the foot, and the foot very close to the spindle, very well made, extremely light, very reliable, is the shimano dura-ace SPD-R. One advantage of this design is that the cleats and all connections are metal and dont wear out easily. this pedal is also used by British track squad. Shimano do a cheaper version of this design too.:rolleyes:

kik said:
When you have a bit of cash, in my opinion, the best pedal which gives good support to the foot, and the foot very close to the spindle, very well made, extremely light, very reliable, is the shimano dura-ace SPD-R. One advantage of this design is that the cleats and all connections are metal and dont wear out easily. this pedal is also used by British track squad. Shimano do a cheaper version of this design too.:rolleyes:
hope this is useful.

I love speedplays becasue of the free float. I move my feet all over during a long ride. They have more float than any other pedal. They also claim to have the best cornering clearance and lowest stack height with compatible shoes. (supposed to be better power transfer i think).

the X'3's will run about a $100 at a LBS.

One thing to note is if you step in mud or dirt with the X series cleats it can cause some serious clip in issues. I usually end up taking the cleat off, cleaning, and relubing them. Pain in the butt.

dericious13 said:
I love speedplays becasue of the free float. I move my feet all over during a long ride. They have more float than any other pedal. They also claim to have the best cornering clearance and lowest stack height with compatible shoes. (supposed to be better power transfer i think).
I have to agree with that entire paragraph. I switched from Looks to Speedplay a while ago, and when I did I had to lower my saddle because the stack height was so much less. And yes, I felt like I had a LOT more power, and that was before I read anything about the increased power transfer. The float helps too, because when I upgraded to Zeros, I left the default float, and my left knee started bothering me. When I backed the screw out to increase my outward float, the pain disappeared. Speedplays are definitely the pedals for my riding style.

dericious13 said:
One thing to note is if you step in mud or dirt with the X series cleats it can cause some serious clip in issues. I usually end up taking the cleat off, cleaning, and relubing them. Pain in the butt.
Yeah, they sure are sensitive to debris. Earlier this summer I ducked into a cornfield to answer the call of nature, and it was soft and muddy. Boy did I have fun cleaning those cleats out. :p

KakenBetaal said:
For newbies the search function an be a real pain in the a$$ if you aren't exactly sure what to type. It's too sensative in some circumstances, noticing this from trial and error. Just my .02. I

tbuc said:

I switched over from Look's to Speedplay's about two years ago and won't ride anything else. They have a 34 deg of float which really saves the knees on long rides and the release is very smooth. One word of advice if you choose Speedplay's is to pick up a set of cleat covers. The mechanism is in the cleat and it is sensitive to dirt, sand and snow. I don't walk in my shoes without slapping on the covers first.
:cool:

I love the Speedplays. I was a little worried after reading about the feeling of being on ice. But no such problem for me. With knee problems, I love the float. Very easy to get into and out of. I have read that everyone will eventually fall from being clipped in but has not happened to me and I credit this to the Speedplays.

I'm a convert from the mountain section - but just to weigh in, I really love my SPD-SL's. They're an easy clip in/out with pretty good power transfer.

I've been using Speedplays for some time and have had no problems with them. I got the X33 set in lightweight alloy and have had no problems with them. I believe that Lance Armstrong has also used Speedplays or is currently using Speedplays. They are economically and sensibly priced and have a great feel about them. On the X33's, though, you do not have the ability to restrict the degree of foot rotation as you can with some of the other Speedplay models. I used to use Look pedals and when comparing the two, the Speedplays have a simpler engage/disengage function. You can snap in at virtually any orientation. With the Looks, you almost have to look down each time to make sure that they are in the right position, not upsidedown. These Speedplays (X33) cost me only $80 and change from a local bike shop....you could probably find them cheaper on-line.

Have a great ride!

tbuc said:

I have been using Speedplays for years now.

I use the Zero's that have a little bit of float in them.

Tey are VERY easy on my knees and above all esle Speedplays are light, light, light!

However you do need to put some dry lube on the cleats before each ride.

franksinatra said:
I have been using Speedplays for years now.

I use the Zero's that have a little bit of float in them.

Tey are VERY easy on my knees and above all esle Speedplays are light, light, light!

However you do need to put some dry lube on the cleats before each ride.

I figured the most bang for the buck could be had by using road Wellgo pedals. For $25 it's hard to beat. But I've been plagued by an annoying squeak. Which I guess is a result of the metal to metal contact. I have to lube every ride. I never had to lube my cleats with my old Look pedals which had a plastic cleat.

I've tried the Speedplay pedals and I hated that "pedaling on ice" feeling.

I like my feet locked in with no float at all. Different strokes.

lohsnest said:
I've been using Speedplays for some time and have had no problems with them. I got the X33 set in lightweight alloy and have had no problems with them. I believe that Lance Armstrong has also used Speedplays or is currently using Speedplays. They are economically and sensibly priced and have a great feel about them. On the X33's, though, you do not have the ability to restrict the degree of foot rotation as you can with some of the other Speedplay models. I used to use Look pedals and when comparing the two, the Speedplays have a simpler engage/disengage function. You can snap in at virtually any orientation. With the Looks, you almost have to look down each time to make sure that they are in the right position, not upsidedown. These Speedplays (X33) cost me only $80 and change from a local bike shop....you could probably find them cheaper on-line.

Have a great ride!
Not that it really matters, but Lance is using the Dura Ace SPD-SL. I have been riding these as well (not because Lance does). I would have to say these are the best pedals I've used so far. They have just enough float be be comfortable, your foot is right on the pedal, and they are very easy to clip into. The only downside is the $175+ price tag, however they make the same pedal in the Ultegra line for around $50 less.