Need clipless shoe cleats further back

vega2614

Aug 31, 2010
Has anyone else had issues with how far back you can move the cleats on your clipless pedals? I have Nashbar brand road shoes that have slots where you can move the receiving hole plate where you screw in the cleat, but the plate doesn't move far enough back for it to be comfortable for my left foot. It must be some kind of weird anatomic issue, but my left foot has to be further forward on the pedal than my right (right foot is fine). It probably goes back to some ankle sprains and achilles tendon issues I've had in the past. It feels like the pressure is too far forward, like between my toes and ball of my foot. When riding platforms, I usually have the center of the pedal about half an inch back from the ball of my foot. I feel I get a good combo of power and stability with this position.

Anyways, has anybody tried lengthening the slots rearwards on their clipless shoes? I tried doing it with a dremel but there's a metal plate underneath the plastic that I can't grind down. I know Speedplay has an adapter to move back the slot, but I'd like to stick with my shoes and pedals. All I need to do is mount that cleat further back, and I'd be golden.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Some shoes allow you to have more fore/aft positioning of cleats than others. Of course, availing yourself of that means buying new shoes. Another option is to shoot off an email to Steve Hogg, at the Cycle Fit Centre, in Australia (which is a territory of New Zealand): cyclefitcentre_contact us . He makes a special rearset adapter for Speedplay pedals. I don't know if he does one for Look pedals, but I'll bet iffin' he doesn't, he'll know someone that does.

Another possibility is to get a shorter crank size. This would effectively move the ball of you foot more underneath you and perhaps allow better adjustment fore and aft. A significant expense though.

vega2614 said:
Has anyone else had issues with how far back you can move the cleats on your clipless pedals? I have Nashbar brand road shoes that have slots where you can move the receiving hole plate where you screw in the cleat, but the plate doesn't move far enough back for it to be comfortable for my left foot. It must be some kind of weird anatomic issue, but my left foot has to be further forward on the pedal than my right (right foot is fine). It probably goes back to some ankle sprains and achilles tendon issues I've had in the past. It feels like the pressure is too far forward, like between my toes and ball of my foot. When riding platforms, I usually have the center of the pedal about half an inch back from the ball of my foot. I feel I get a good combo of power and stability with this position.

Anyways, has anybody tried lengthening the slots rearwards on their clipless shoes? I tried doing it with a dremel but there's a metal plate underneath the plastic that I can't grind down. I know Speedplay has an adapter to move back the slot, but I'd like to stick with my shoes and pedals. All I need to do is mount that cleat further back, and I'd be golden.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Yes, I have elongated the slots on my SHIMANO MTB shoes ...

You simply need something MORE ROBUST than a Dremel tool's grinding wheel which is really more of a polishing stone.

Depending on how much you want to elongate the slot, either use an appropriately sized DRILL BIT if more than an 1/8" or use a rat tail file ... or, both.

Instead of a rat tail file (presuming you have an electric drill), you can use the drill bit as a pseudo-router bit and elongate the slot by chewing-away the end of the slot.

OF COURSE, this presumes you have a MINIMUM LEVEL of hand-eye coordination ... if you lack rudimentary "shop" skills, then "kids, don't try this at home!"