Need cover for bikes on hitch rack - where?

Fred

Guest
Hi,

I carry two bikes on a bike rack which fits in my trail
hitch outlet. Last trip (over 5, 000 miles), the bikes
really got dirty and grimy.

I can seem to find a cover / bag to slip over the bikes on
the rack to keep the dry and clean when traveling.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Fred (to send email, get the lead out)

> Hi,
>
> I carry two bikes on a bike rack which fits in my trail
> hitch outlet. Last trip (over 5, 000 miles), the bikes
> really got dirty and grimy.
>
> I can seem to find a cover / bag to slip over the bikes on
> the rack to
keep
> the dry and clean when traveling.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred (to send email, get the lead out)

These guys: http://www.pygmypack.com/products.html make some
neat covers for the drivetrain and handlebar controls. I
have a set for my tandem which travels on an outside hitch
mounted rack. The Pygmy Cover and Pygmy Pack work very well
and keep the sensitive bits clean and dry.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:05:52 -0400, "Fred"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>I can seem to find a cover / bag to slip over the bikes on
>the rack to keep the dry and clean when traveling.

A roofing supply company will probably be willing to give
you a plastic bag that goes over a pallet of shingles. This
should fit nicely.
--
Rick Onanian

may have said:

>Hi,
>
>I carry two bikes on a bike rack which fits in my trail
>hitch outlet. Last trip (over 5, 000 miles), the bikes
>really got dirty and grimy.
>
>I can seem to find a cover / bag to slip over the bikes on
>the rack to keep the dry and clean when traveling.
>
>Any recommendations?

Beware of this idea unless you're driving an SUV with a
large rear profile that keeps the bikes largely out of the
airstream.. On a car, for instance, such a cover will
dramatically increase the wind pressure on the rack. That
will cost you a gas mileage penalty. The other problem is
that it also puts a lot of strain on the tie-downs that are
holding the bikes in place.