Need cover for bikes on hitch rack - where?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Fred, Apr 22, 2004.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Hi,

    I carry two bikes on a bike rack which fits in my trail
    hitch outlet. Last trip (over 5, 000 miles), the bikes
    really got dirty and grimy.

    I can seem to find a cover / bag to slip over the bikes on
    the rack to keep the dry and clean when traveling.

    Any recommendations?

    Thanks,

    Fred (to send email, get the lead out)

    Tags:

  2. "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I carry two bikes on a bike rack which fits in my trail
    > hitch outlet. Last trip (over 5, 000 miles), the bikes
    > really got dirty and grimy.
    >
    > I can seem to find a cover / bag to slip over the bikes on
    > the rack to
    keep
    > the dry and clean when traveling.
    >
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Fred (to send email, get the lead out)

    These guys: http://www.pygmypack.com/products.html make some
    neat covers for the drivetrain and handlebar controls. I
    have a set for my tandem which travels on an outside hitch
    mounted rack. The Pygmy Cover and Pygmy Pack work very well
    and keep the sensitive bits clean and dry.

  3. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:05:52 -0400, "Fred"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I can seem to find a cover / bag to slip over the bikes on
    >the rack to keep the dry and clean when traveling.

    A roofing supply company will probably be willing to give
    you a plastic bag that goes over a pallet of shingles. This
    should fit nicely.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  4. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    may have said:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I carry two bikes on a bike rack which fits in my trail
    >hitch outlet. Last trip (over 5, 000 miles), the bikes
    >really got dirty and grimy.
    >
    >I can seem to find a cover / bag to slip over the bikes on
    >the rack to keep the dry and clean when traveling.
    >
    >Any recommendations?

    Beware of this idea unless you're driving an SUV with a
    large rear profile that keeps the bikes largely out of the
    airstream.. On a car, for instance, such a cover will
    dramatically increase the wind pressure on the rack. That
    will cost you a gas mileage penalty. The other problem is
    that it also puts a lot of strain on the tie-downs that are
    holding the bikes in place.