Need Dual Control XTR?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by phatykoko, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. phatykoko

    phatykoko New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2003

  2. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

  3. Westie

    Westie Guest

    phatykoko wrote:
    ><link>

    Has anyone here actually got the XTR dual control shifters? What did you think of them after having
    used them for (by now) a while? One of the guys at my LBS uses them on his VT and swears by them.

    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  4. Westie wrote:
    > phatykoko wrote:
    >> <link>
    >
    > Has anyone here actually got the XTR dual control shifters? What did you think of them after
    > having used them for (by now) a while? One of the guys at my LBS uses them on his VT and swears
    > by them.

    Love 'em. I also have the Low Normal setting for the RD and am getting used to that also. I
    dismounted the thumblevers a loong time ago.

    --
    Perre

  5. Tbf

    Tbf Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > phatykoko wrote:
    > > <http://tinyurl.com/37kou>
    >
    > Try rec.bicycles.marketplace!
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

    I tried them last Summer and found it really hard to get used to the shift action. Besides that the
    levers are wobbly, not something I would have expected from a group that costs as much as an Auto
    downpayment!

    Long term though, if they sort out the weak feeling levers, I think it will be a good option for the
    persona that wants every new toy.

    Me I'm sticking with the triggers and XO RD combo, they can't be beat right now for all out
    performance and durability.

  6. TBF wrote:
    > "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> phatykoko wrote:
    >>> <http://tinyurl.com/37kou>
    >>
    >> Try rec.bicycles.marketplace!
    >>
    >> --
    >> - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)
    >>
    > I tried them last Summer and found it really hard to get used to the shift action. Besides that
    > the levers are wobbly, not something I would have expected from a group that costs as much as an
    > Auto downpayment!
    >
    > Long term though, if they sort out the weak feeling levers, I think it will be a good option for
    > the persona that wants every new toy.
    >
    > Me I'm sticking with the triggers and XO RD combo, they can't be beat right now for all out
    > performance and durability.

    Wonder why they felt wobbly to you and not to me? I have the hydraulic version which one did
    you try out?

    --
    Perre

  7. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Has anyone here actually got the XTR dual control shifters? What
    did you
    > think of them after having used them for (by now) a while?

    I have them on my s-works. Coming from a strong background in SRAM gripshifts here. The first ride
    with them I found myself shifting only when I had to. Second ride I was more comfortable shifting.
    After the third ride I didn't need to think about it anymore. They work great, I have no
    complaints... except for the cost. Functionally they are magnificent in every way for XC riding.

    -John Morgan

  8. Westie

    Westie Guest

    John Morgan wrote:
    >> Has anyone here actually got the XTR dual control shifters? What did you think of them after
    >> having used them for (by now) a while?
    >
    > I have them on my s-works. Coming from a strong background in SRAM gripshifts here. The first ride
    > with them I found myself shifting only when I had to. Second ride I was more comfortable shifting.
    > After the third ride I didn't need to think about it anymore. They work great, I have no
    > complaints... except for the cost. Functionally they are magnificent in every way for XC riding.
    >
    > -John Morgan

    Seems to be polarized points of view - everyone either loves 'em or hates'
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  9. Gazzer

    Gazzer Guest

    "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Westie wrote:
    > > phatykoko wrote:
    > >> <link>
    > >
    > > Has anyone here actually got the XTR dual control shifters? What did you think of them after
    > > having used them for (by now) a while? One of the guys at my LBS uses them on his VT and swears
    > > by them.
    >
    > Love 'em. I also have the Low Normal setting for the RD and am getting used to that also. I
    > dismounted the thumblevers a loong time ago.

    what are the advantages of low normal derailleurs that made it worth "getting used to"?

  10. Jeff Edelen

    Jeff Edelen Guest

    Westie wrote:
    > John Morgan wrote:
    >
    >>>Has anyone here actually got the XTR dual control shifters? What did you think of them after
    >>>having used them for (by now) a while?
    >>
    >>I have them on my s-works. [...] Functionally they are magnificent in every way for XC riding.
    >>
    >>-John Morgan
    >
    > Seems to be polarized points of view - everyone either loves 'em or hates'

    It also seems those that love them have actually ridden with them long enough to offer an informed
    opinion. I've ridden with them for about a year now, and I find them superior to trigger shifters
    and head and shoulders above grip shifters. Arguments about them being fragile are also bunk. Once
    more folks are exposed to dual control shifters, we should see a fire sale on trigger shifters.

    -Jeff

  11. gazzer wrote:
    > "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Westie wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone here actually got the XTR dual control shifters? What did you think of them after
    >>> having used them for (by now) a while? One of the guys at my LBS uses them on his VT and swears
    >>> by them.
    >>
    >> Love 'em. I also have the Low Normal setting for the RD and am getting used to that also. I
    >> dismounted the thumblevers a loong time ago.
    >
    > what are the advantages of low normal derailleurs that made it worth "getting used to"?

    None as far as I can understand. However the Gurus like Sheldon Brown and of course Shimano say that
    it is much better for the derailler and cogs and etceteras. It took very little getting used to and
    the only difference I can notice is that I can go 3-4 gears when going up to a higher gear ( smaller
    cog) and have to click several times if I need to go down more than one gear ( bigger cog ). I think
    what they mean is that the spring itself will not wear the equipment as much as when you force a
    downshift. Forcing an upshift isn't as costly on the material.

    I do however appreciate it when I need to downshift on a very steep hill. In this case I'm usually
    holding on to the handlebar grips with my full hand. All I need to do is open up my hand real quick
    and close it again. This will move the dual shift lever up one notch. After some time I think it
    also got easier to getting used to the force I can put on the pedals when shifting. What I mean is
    the softpedaling part until the next gear has engaged. I think that maybe it is more consistent now
    that it is the strength of a spring shifting down and not my fingers that can vary in speed and
    strength for a downshift.

    --
    Perre

  12. Gazzer

    Gazzer Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Has anyone here actually got the XTR dual control shifters? What
    > did you
    > > think of them after having used them for (by now) a while?
    >
    > I have them on my s-works. Coming from a strong background in SRAM gripshifts here. The first ride
    > with them I found myself shifting only when I had to. Second ride I was more comfortable shifting.
    > After the third ride I didn't need to think about it anymore. They work great, I have no
    > complaints... except for the cost. Functionally they are magnificent in every way for XC riding.
    >
    > -John Morgan

    well it just goes to show, one mans meat etc etc

    gaz

  13. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Westie wrote:

    > >>I have them on my s-works. [...] Functionally they are magnificent in every way for XC riding.
    > >>
    > >>-John Morgan
    > >
    > > Seems to be polarized points of view - everyone either loves 'em or hates'
    >
    > It also seems those that love them have actually ridden with them long enough to offer an informed
    > opinion. I've ridden with them for about a year now, and I find them superior to trigger shifters
    > and head and shoulders above grip shifters. Arguments about them being fragile are also bunk. Once
    > more folks are exposed to dual control shifters, we should see a fire sale on trigger shifters.
    >
    > -Jeff

    If they ever catch on that will these will be a SRAM version, and that one will be made of metal and
    not explode on impact. It may still cost as much as a Porche though :(
    --
    _________________________

  14. Chris Phillipo wrote:
    >> Westie wrote:

    >>> Seems to be polarized points of view - everyone either loves 'em or hates'
    >>
    >> It also seems those that love them have actually ridden with them long enough to offer an
    >> informed opinion. I've ridden with them for about a year now, and I find them superior to trigger
    >> shifters and head and shoulders above grip shifters. Arguments about them being fragile are also
    >> bunk. Once more folks are exposed to dual control shifters, we should see a fire sale on trigger
    >> shifters.
    >>
    >> -Jeff
    >>

    > If they ever catch on that will these will be a SRAM version, and that one will be made of metal
    > and not explode on impact. It may still cost as much as a Porche though :(

    From what I understand there will be an XT version coming out in 2004. Or........

    --
    Perre

  15. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > > Seems to be polarized points of view - everyone either loves 'em
    or hates'

    > It also seems those that love them have actually ridden with them
    long
    > enough to offer an informed opinion. I've ridden with them for
    about a
    > year now, and I find them superior to trigger shifters and head and shoulders above grip shifters.
    > Arguments about them being fragile
    are
    > also bunk. Once more folks are exposed to dual control shifters, we should see a fire sale on
    > trigger shifters.
    >
    > -Jeff

    Agreed (except about the gripshift comment...heheh). Everyone I know was skeptical about the dual
    control levers when they came out. Also, everyone I know that actually rides them, got used to them
    quickly and likes the way they work.

    -John Morgan

  16. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > From what I understand there will be an XT version coming out in
    2004.
    > Or........
    >
    > --
    > Perre

    Yes, they are out now on current model bikes, with the rest of the updated XT group. The price has
    also gone up quite a bit from the old
    XT. The cranks are in the $200 range and the dual control levers are about the same price. I
    believe the group is available aftermarket, too. Gone are the days of XT as an inexpensive
    workhorse. We'll probably be seeing a lot more LX spec'ed now.

    -John Morgan

  17. > are
    > > also bunk. Once more folks are exposed to dual control shifters, we should see a fire sale on
    > > trigger shifters.
    > >
    > > -Jeff
    >
    > Agreed (except about the gripshift comment...heheh). Everyone I know was skeptical about the dual
    > control levers when they came out. Also, everyone I know that actually rides them, got used to
    > them quickly and likes the way they work.
    >
    > -John Morgan

    Just what I want to be able to say about a group that costs more than my bike. "Oh, I got used to it
    eventually." :)
    --
    _________________________

  18. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > Has anyone here actually got the XTR dual control shifters? What
    > did you
    > > think of them after having used them for (by now) a while?
    >
    > I have them on my s-works. Coming from a strong background in SRAM gripshifts here. The first ride
    > with them I found myself shifting only when I had to. Second ride I was more comfortable shifting.
    > After the third ride I didn't need to think about it anymore. They work great, I have no
    > complaints... except for the cost. Functionally they are magnificent in every way for XC riding.
    >
    > -John Morgan

    I have a hard time shifting them to a larger cassette cog 'cause when I'm in a steep climb and
    having to navigate obstacles, I like to keep a tight grip on the handlebar for better control of
    the bike. I'm not saying they are bad only that I've had a very hard time with 'em being used to
    rapid-fire.

    Dave