Need Dual Control XTR?

onefred wrote:
> "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:_UWb.63486$F15.61017@fed1read06...
>>> Has anyone here actually got the XTR dual control shifters? What
>> did you
>>> think of them after having used them for (by now) a while?
>>
>> I have them on my s-works. Coming from a strong background in SRAM gripshifts here. The first
>> ride with them I found myself shifting only when I had to. Second ride I was more comfortable
>> shifting. After the third ride I didn't need to think about it anymore. They work great, I have
>> no complaints... except for the cost. Functionally they are magnificent in every way for XC
>> riding.
>>
>> -John Morgan
>
> I have a hard time shifting them to a larger cassette cog 'cause when I'm in a steep climb and
> having to navigate obstacles, I like to keep a tight grip on the handlebar for better control of
> the bike. I'm not saying they are bad only that I've had a very hard time with 'em being used to
> rapid-fire.
>
> Dave

Have you adjusted the lever to come close enough to the bar. Default they're set up for somebody
with giant hands. I moved mine in almost 15 mm and that made them real comfortable. Now when I'm
climbing with a tight grip I just need to flip a couple of fingers straight out and back. This
will hit the lever with the back of my hand and shift down as soon as I finish the shift by
turning the cranks.

--
Perre

> Have you adjusted the lever to come close enough to the bar. Default they're set up for somebody
> with giant hands. I moved mine in almost 15 mm and that made them real comfortable. Now when I'm
> climbing with a tight grip I just need to flip a couple of fingers straight out and back. This
> will hit the lever with the back of my hand and shift down as soon as I finish the shift by
> turning the cranks.

no, they're floppy ****.

cheers

gazzer wrote:
>> Have you adjusted the lever to come close enough to the bar. Default they're set up for somebody
>> with giant hands. I moved mine in almost 15 mm and that made them real comfortable. Now when I'm
>> climbing with a tight grip I just need to flip a couple of fingers straight out and back. This
>> will hit the lever with the back of my hand and shift down as soon as I finish the shift by
>> turning the cranks.
>

> no, they're floppy ****.

You keep saying that. How about pointing out to the rest of us why you think so.

--
Perre

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> gazzer wrote:
> >> Have you adjusted the lever to come close enough to the bar. Default they're set up for
> >> somebody with giant hands. I moved mine in almost 15 mm and that made them real comfortable.
> >> Now when I'm climbing with a tight grip I just need to flip a couple of fingers straight out
> >> and back. This will hit the lever with the back of my hand and shift down as soon as I finish
> >> the shift by turning the cranks.
> >

> > no, they're floppy ****.
> >

> You keep saying that. How about pointing out to the rest of us why you think so.

Functionally they are in no way better than seperate levers and shifters, plus you have to use
crappy shimano disc brakes, wherein of course lies their true purpose. The funny thing is
hearing all the endless nitpicky techiques of how to use the crappy things. I'm sure you could
learn to shift gear using a seat mounted rod stuck in your ass if you had to, but with a perfect
sysyetm already existing it would be pointless. Good design is intuitive. These things are
technogoical doodling.

Just my opinion of course.

cheers

gazzer wrote:
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>>>

>>> no, they're floppy ****.
>>>

>> You keep saying that. How about pointing out to the rest of us why you think so.
>

> Functionally they are in no way better than seperate levers and shifters, plus you have to use
> crappy shimano disc brakes, wherein of course lies their true purpose.

Why is that? I don't see why I couldn't exchange the caliper and discs to Hayes or whaterver.

> The funny thing is hearing all the endless nitpicky techiques of how to use the crappy things. I'm
> sure you could learn to shift gear using a seat mounted rod stuck in your ass if you had to, but
> with a perfect sysyetm already existing it would be pointless. Good design is intuitive. These
> things are technogoical doodling.

Yes it's intuitive. How do you think I managed in the first place. When I go uphill I pull my
shifters up. When I go downhill I push my shifters down. How much simpler than that can it get?

> Just my opinion of course.
Probably worth about as much as mine, which doesn't say a lot of course ;)

--
Perre

gazzer <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm sure you could learn to shift gear using a seat mounted rod stuck in your ass if you had to,

Would that be enough to get Bill Wheeler back on a geared rig? Sadly, we'll probably never know. I'm
thinking the SS might look good at that point.

Tom (appreciates a good chamios)

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<qqN1c.51218

> Yes it's intuitive. How do you think I managed in the first place. When I go uphill I pull my
> shifters up. When I go downhill I push my shifters down. How much simpler than that can it get?
>

> > Just my opinion of course.
> Probably worth about as much as mine, which doesn't say a lot of course ;)

you just like them because it makes you feel like a roadie.

gazzer wrote:
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<qqN1c.51218
>>
>> Yes it's intuitive. How do you think I managed in the first place. When I go uphill I pull my
>> shifters up. When I go downhill I push my shifters down. How much simpler than that can it get?
>>

>>> Just my opinion of course.
>> Probably worth about as much as mine, which doesn't say a lot of course ;)
>
> you just like them because it makes you feel like a roadie.

I already am a roadie. But I agree I am accustomed to STI and dual control has actually taken it one
step further. So now Mountain Bikers have better components than roadies ;)

--
Perre

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote

> I already am a roadie. But I agree I am accustomed to STI
> and dual control has actually taken it one step further.
> So now Mountain Bikers have better components than
> roadies ;)

What exactly are these "shifter" things to which you refer?

CC

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> I already am a roadie. But I agree I am accustomed to STI
>> and dual control has actually taken it one step further.
>> So now Mountain Bikers have better components than
>> roadies ;)
>
> What exactly are these "shifter" things to which you
> refer?
>
> CC

What we have been talking about throughout this whole
thread. The XTR dual control shifter/brake lever.
--
Perre

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > I already am a roadie. But I agree I am accustomed to
> > STI and dual control has actually taken it one step
> > further. So now Mountain Bikers have better components
> > than roadies ;)
>
> What exactly are these "shifter" things to which you
> refer?
>
> CC

It has something to do with recording TV shows and starting
to watch them at a later time even though the machine is
still recording it.
--
_________________________
Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote
> Corvus Corvax wrote:
> >
> > What exactly are these "shifter" things to which you
> > refer?
>
> What we have been talking about throughout this whole
> thread. The XTR dual control shifter/brake lever.

Ah.

What are they for?

CC

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote
>> Corvus Corvax wrote:
>>>
>>> What exactly are these "shifter" things to which you
>>> refer?
>>
>> What we have been talking about throughout this whole
>> thread. The XTR dual control shifter/brake lever.
>
> Ah.
>
> What are they for?

Prompting annoying SS smugness, of course.

Bill "it's OBVIOUS...DUH!!!" S.

Corvus Corvax wrote:
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote
>> Corvus Corvax wrote:
>>>
>>> What exactly are these "shifter" things to which you
>>> refer?
>>
>> What we have been talking about throughout this whole
>> thread. The XTR dual control shifter/brake lever.
>
> Ah.
>
> What are they for?
>
> CC

Hell I don't know. But they're expensive and everybody
drools when I show up on a ride.

--
Perre

Per Elmsäter wrote:

> everybody drools when I show up on a ride.

That's what you get with trails on Mental Institution
grounds.

Bill "stretching for drool humor -- week's off to a
great start" S.

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Corvus Corvax wrote:

> >> What we have been talking about throughout this whole
> >> thread. The XTR dual control shifter/brake lever.
> >
> > Ah.
> >
> > What are they for?
> >
> > CC
>
> Hell I don't know. But they're expensive and everybody
> drools when I show
up
> on a ride.

I wouldn't drool over them.

Greg

G.T. wrote:
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Corvus Corvax wrote:
>>> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> Ah.
>>>
>>> What are they for?
>>>
>>> CC
>>
>> Hell I don't know. But they're expensive and everybody
>> drools when I show up on a ride.
>>

> I wouldn't drool over them.
>
> Greg

That's probably why you don't show up on our rides then ;)
--
Perre

S o r n i wrote:
> Per Elmsäter wrote:
>
>> everybody drools when I show up on a ride.
>
> That's what you get with trails on Mental Institution
> grounds.
>
> Bill "stretching for drool humor -- week's off to a great
> start" S.

No those trails goes like this. Hidden voice #1 - Are
you ripe? Hidden voice #2 - Yes! Hidden voice #1 - OK!
Let's fall.

--
Perre

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote

> Hell I don't know. But they're expensive and everybody
> drools when I show up on a ride.

Hee. This, of course, is the most important factor in any
equipment decision. You must either out-spend or out-retro-
grouch the competition. Mediocrity is for losers.

CC