need final help w/ beginner bike decision

ccrnnr9

May 5, 2004
Okay I have been reading a lot lately (especially in the under 700$ bike thread that is stickyed at the top). I am wanting to get into the road bike scene, but don't want to spend gobs of money. I have had too many people tell me that I need to spend over 800$ just to get a decent bike and I find that hard to believe. I am trying to get something for under 600$ (even less if possible) and I do not buying used at all. I am a runner and lacrosse player and I am in good shape. I plan to cycle as an alternate way of staying in shape from running (less injury prone training). I plan to compete in some triathlons just to compete, not to win necesarrily. The main reason I am choosing to ride is because I love the feel and freedom, and I have many friends who ride as well. I just need some suggestions. Here is a list of the bikes I am currently considering:

Giant OCR3
Specialized Allez Triple (or double...dont know that I completely understand the difference)
Felt F90
Raleigh Sport (or something like that)

I really dont care if the bike I get isnt the best bike in the world. I want a bike that will last and allow me to have a fun time riding. I hear a lot of bad stuff about Sora...or something like that. Also, are any of the bikes listed above compact framed or something like that. I was told that I would be fine on a 58cm or even a 60cm bike. I have been leaning towards the felt and giant lately mainly because the price is better than the allez, but I hear they are better manufacturers than Raleigh. Also, a carbon fiber fork would be nice...Any advice you have for me is more than welcome. A lot of the technical talk has me lost as I am still new to this sport. Thanks again!
~Nick

P.S. I need to find some inexpensive hobbies!!! Why are all the fun ones expensive?!?!...lacrosse, cars, motorcycles, and now cycling:p

You can spend a little or a lot on a new Road Bike. I will tell you my experince. I ride a Motobecane with an aluminum frame and carbon fiber fork. The bike can best be described as a recreational road bike. When I first got it everything was fine because I did not ride it too hard. When I started getting serious things started to pop. The stock wheels were **** as were the tires. I ended up buying new Xeros which are good strong functional wheels. I upgraded the tires to Armadillo All Conditions. Damn good tires in my experience. I have picked glass shards out of the tires and had zero flats. I also wore out the bottom bracket without much effort at all and replaced it with a Shimano. My components are low end Shimano which work fine for me. Overall my bike now serves me very well. The bottom line is a cheaper road bike is built with cheaper components, wheels, tires and everything else. Be prepared to invest in some upgrades if you purchase in the range you are talking about.

Good luck and stay safe.

I would assume that I would be safe with any of the bikes mentioned though, correct?
~Nick

ccrnnr9 said:
Okay I have been reading a lot lately (especially in the under 700$ bike thread that is stickyed at the top). ...
Wrong forum. No such sticky on this site.

I'd stay as far away from the Raleigh Sport as I could. It's high ten steel. Out of the other three, pick the bike that fits you best. If there is no difference in fit, then pick the one that is cheapest. At this level of bike with Sora components, there isn't much difference. They are commodity grade bikes.

Doctor Morbius said:
Wrong forum. No such sticky on this site.

I'd stay as far away from the Raleigh Sport as I could. It's high ten steel. Out of the other three, pick the bike that fits you best. If there is no difference in fit, then pick the one that is cheapest. At this level of bike with Sora components, there isn't much difference. They are commodity grade bikes.
Sorry about that....I posted the same message on another forum....anyways, is this to say that the bikes in this price range are not worth buying? I understand that the better the bike, the higher the price, but for a young college student who wants a road bike to ride (not necesarrily race) I would assume there aren't any better options...
~Nick

ccrnnr9 said:
Sorry about that....I posted the same message on another forum....anyways, is this to say that the bikes in this price range are not worth buying?
Not at all. I'm saying that bikes will start to differentiate themselves from one another at a much higher price point.

I understand that the better the bike, the higher the price, but for a young college student who wants a road bike to ride (not necesarrily race) I would assume there aren't any better options...
~Nick
There are quite a number of forum members here that have an Allez, Trek 1000 or OCR3 and are quite happy with them and have gotten many years of use out of them. I have an Allez Sport, which is 1 level up and love it. It's a commodity bike too.

I don't see any problems with them unless you get upgrade fever. That frequently happens a few months after a person has purchased an entry level bike. There are numerous posts here about Ultegra/Sora compatibility here because somebody gets "the fever" shortly after buying a bike like you are looking at. If those are your intentions, then just save up for a better bike. Trust me on this one.

Nothing inherently wrong with the bikes you mentioned (except the hi-ten steel framed one). Just understand that they are entry level bikes. The one that will suit you best is the one that will fit you best. If any two bikes have the same fit go for the lesser expensive one or pick one with a color you like.

Doctor Morbius said:
Not at all. I'm saying that bikes will start to differentiate themselves from one another at a much higher price point.

There are quite a number of forum members here that have an Allez, Trek 1000 or OCR3 and are quite happy with them and have gotten many years of use out of them. I have an Allez Sport, which is 1 level up and love it. It's a commodity bike too.

I don't see any problems with them unless you get upgrade fever. That frequently happens a few months after a person has purchased an entry level bike. There are numerous posts here about Ultegra/Sora compatibility here because somebody gets "the fever" shortly after buying a bike like you are looking at. If those are your intentions, then just save up for a better bike. Trust me on this one.

Nothing inherently wrong with the bikes you mentioned (except the hi-ten steel framed one). Just understand that they are entry level bikes. The one that will suit you best is the one that will fit you best. If any two bikes have the same fit go for the lesser expensive one or pick one with a color you like.
Okay good deal. I will have to see what I can afford once the summer is at an end (I leave tomorrow morning and wont be back till late August which is when I will purchase). I still havent decided whether or not to buy new or used...I guess I time to decide.
~Nick

ccrnnr9 said:
Okay good deal. I will have to see what I can afford once the summer is at an end (I leave tomorrow morning and wont be back till late August which is when I will purchase). I still havent decided whether or not to buy new or used...I guess I time to decide.
~Nick
Some people buy a new bike for retail therapy. Others need to keep up with fashion. The world is awash with good bikes that are not being used any more because they are old. If you want a good bike that is also good value for money, buy one of these.
When bike shops get in new stock, they sell last year's models off at a song, so even if you don't want a second-hand bike it is not always necessary to pay full price.
One point you should consider is that every part of a bike can be upgraded; if the frame is a good one it will be worth doing so the frame quality is more important than that of the components. I am not contradicting Dr. M. here, my bike has gone from being a ten-speed to a 27 speed, but it took a non-feverish 25 years. Upgrading should be done when you genuinely need to replace parts, not for retail therapy.

Don Shipp said:
Some people buy a new bike for retail therapy. Others need to keep up with fashion. The world is awash with good bikes that are not being used any more because they are old. If you want a good bike that is also good value for money, buy one of these.

When bike shops get in new stock, they sell last year's models off at a song, so even if you don't want a second-hand bike it is not always necessary to pay full price.
Agree. But I wouldn't necessarily recommend that a newbie get a used bike though. They are better off going through the LBS as opposed to ebay or whatever. The end of season sales are a great way to get last year's good for less coin. If ccrnnr9 can hold off until one of these sales he'll be able to stretch his college loans further.

I'm always on the lookout for my next used bike purchase. ;) Somewhere some guy has just gotten bit with the "Lance" bug and in a couple of months that bike will retire to the garage or attick where it will stay until somebody like us finds it! :D

One point you should consider is that every part of a bike can be upgraded; if the frame is a good one it will be worth doing so the frame quality is more important than that of the components. I am not contradicting Dr. M. here, my bike has gone from being a ten-speed to a 27 speed, but it took a non-feverish 25 years. Upgrading should be done when you genuinely need to replace parts, not for retail therapy.
Yup. I'd bet good money you don't have an entry level frame either.