Need frame/fork advice

Meek One

May 5, 2004
I have most of the components I need to build a bike but need a frame/fork combo.

Preferences:

1) Under $500. Maybe more if awesome deal with fork.
2) Wt varies between 198-220 (90-100kg). Alu with carbon rear and fork?
3) Strength and Stiffness > Weight
4) Last year models are fine as well, I stopped trying to keep up with everybody and being cool on my third pair of Jordans back around '86 :)
5) A 57 probably would be ideal but a cm either way would be fine. Let's say 56-59.

Thanks.

Meek One said:
I have most of the components I need to build a bike but need a frame/fork combo.

Preferences:

1) Under $500. Maybe more if awesome deal with fork.
2) Wt varies between 198-220 (90-100kg). Alu with carbon rear and fork?
3) Strength and Stiffness > Weight
4) Last year models are fine as well, I stopped trying to keep up with everybody and being cool on my third pair of Jordans back around '86 :)
5) A 57 probably would be ideal but a cm either way would be fine. Let's say 56-59.

Thanks.

First of all.... you NEED to dial in exactly what frame size you are(not "lets say 56-59"). What is your inseem ? There is a web site dedicated to helping you w/ your fit on the bike... maybe someone can repost that link for us here :D :) ;)

Secondly, given your weight..... I'd recommend a NICE steel frame w/ a good-nice Carbon fork ..... which you might be able to do right about $500-700 range. Its gonna be very-very difficult to find anything quality Ti. in that price range... same w/ Carbon. Aluminum I personally restrict to recycling ONLY .... if you can help it.

Hope this helps ;)

Adam-from-SLO said:
First of all.... you NEED to dial in exactly what frame size you are(not "lets say 56-59"). What is your inseem ? There is a web site dedicated to helping you w/ your fit on the bike... maybe someone can repost that link for us here :D :) ;)

Secondly, given your weight..... I'd recommend a NICE steel frame w/ a good-nice Carbon fork ..... which you might be able to do right about $500-700 range. Its gonna be very-very difficult to find anything quality Ti. in that price range... same w/ Carbon. Aluminum I personally restrict to recycling ONLY .... if you can help it.

Hope this helps ;)

I did do the test:

The Competitive Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 56.7 - 57.2
Seat tube range c-t: 58.4 - 58.9
Top tube length: 59.0 - 59.4
Stem Length: 12.2 - 12.8
BB-Saddle Position: 79.5 - 81.5
Saddle-Handlebar: 58.7 - 59.3
Saddle Setback: 5.7 - 6.1
Seatpost Type: NON-SETBACK

The Eddy Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 57.9 - 58.4
Seat tube range c-t: 59.6 - 60.1
Stem Length: 11.1 - 11.7
BB-Saddle Position: 78.7 - 80.7
Saddle-Handlebar: 59.5 - 60.1
Saddle Setback: 6.9 - 7.3
Seatpost Type: SETBACK

The French Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 59.6 - 60.1
Seat tube range c-t: 61.3 - 61.8
Top tube length: 60.2 - 60.6
Stem Length: 11.3 - 11.9
BB-Saddle Position: 77.0 - 79.0
Saddle-Handlebar: 61.2 - 61.8
Saddle Setback: 6.4 - 6.8

Meek One said:
I did do the test:

The Competitive Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 56.7 - 57.2
Seat tube range c-t: 58.4 - 58.9
Stem Length: 12.2 - 12.8
BB-Saddle Position: 79.5 - 81.5
Saddle-Handlebar: 58.7 - 59.3
Saddle Setback: 5.7 - 6.1
Seatpost Type: NON-SETBACK

The Eddy Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 57.9 - 58.4
Seat tube range c-t: 59.6 - 60.1
Stem Length: 11.1 - 11.7
BB-Saddle Position: 78.7 - 80.7
Saddle-Handlebar: 59.5 - 60.1
Saddle Setback: 6.9 - 7.3

The French Fit (cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 59.6 - 60.1
Seat tube range c-t: 61.3 - 61.8
Top tube length: 60.2 - 60.6
Stem Length: 11.3 - 11.9
BB-Saddle Position: 77.0 - 79.0
Saddle-Handlebar: 61.2 - 61.8
Saddle Setback: 6.4 - 6.8

Impressive, most impressive ;) :D
Now, thats what I like to see out of a prospective frame buyer !

The French fit does seem to favor the "elongated upper torso" style/set up. The "Competative" style does seem a bit more compact for you... but keep in mind, if you go for "too small of a frame" you can slightly dial in the reach better with a longer stem. The Eddy fit looks to be the best blend of the two, about right smack dab in the middle. A 11cm stem typically is ideal for a road bike(10-12cm) .....

Is your upper torso roughly equal in length to you lower torso ( or do you have longer legs... then upper torso) ?

Meek One said:
Legs aren't long, not really short either. Pretty normal in that regard.

Forgot to mention that I am a sprinter and thus am guessing that Ti and Steel would be too flexible. That's why I was thinking the Alu or Alu with carbon seatstays.

Meek One said:
Forgot to mention that I am a sprinter and thus am guessing that Ti and Steel would be too flexible. That's why I was thinking the Alu or Alu with carbon seatstays.

If you ride ALOT... I'd stay away from Al. ....... it would be too harsh on your body( carbon seat , and/or chain stays w/carbon fork would help greatly.... but be sure the frame is built right, considering your a sprinter- that BB/rear triangle can come under serious strain/torquing motions.... and you want something that can take a licking + keep on ticking.

Ti. .... usually will be a bit spongy, but if you get 6/4 Ti .... it will be shock absorbing, yet fairly stiff at the same time ;) , however 6/4 is not widely used... and seems to be a dying breed. 3/2.5 usually is made "noodley" , although if designed/welded right (with quality Ti. tubing, anotech , Argon, or I.F. ti. ... that stuff is stiff/shock absorbing.. doesnt flex too much.

Steel.... is compliant, yet if its a beefier(not super light steel) will still be stiff/rigid. Remember, a good steel frameset is still what everything else out there is measured against... its a great all around combo if shock absorbtion/stiffness ..... but wont be the lightest frame on the planet(most frame builder/manufactures PUSH the weight envolope with there products, trying to out due there competitors. Its easy to get caught up in that frenzy... and buy something light... simply for the sake of "light weightness"... witch is really a joke, and should not be the primary/ or even secondary concern in choosing a frame .