Need Front Suspension advice

Meek One

May 5, 2004
Can I please get some recommendations for a front shock for a hardtail?

Facts:
-Most riding will be on fire trails so I don't need a lot of travel, I think.
-Weigh about 210-220 (95-100kg)
-Would like to be able to climb efficiently, in other words no bobbing (perhaps a lock-out feature)
-Hopefully low maintenance. I don't have any idea how often they need to be serviced. I used to ride the mountains on a Bridgestone MB-Zip in the early 90's. Took a decade off and have recently started riding track and doing some road work, but want to return to my love. All I remember was people were buying Judy SL's back in the day...

Thank you in advance.

If your bike is old, like mine is, you might have few options for suspension. From what I remember, it has alot to do with the diameter of your front tube. I had about one option when I made the switch to suspension...RST 281 R, not a great fork, but it is certainly much better than nothing at all. There's no features at all on the fork...just suspension, no lock, no pre load adjust....but it's still better than rigid. I, like you, ride pretty groomed stuff if I get off road at all, so I really don't need much else.

inrharmony said:
If your bike is old, like mine is, you might have few options for suspension. From what I remember, it has alot to do with the diameter of your front tube. I had about one option when I made the switch to suspension...RST 281 R, not a great fork, but it is certainly much better than nothing at all. There's no features at all on the fork...just suspension, no lock, no pre load adjust....but it's still better than rigid. I, like you, ride pretty groomed stuff if I get off road at all, so I really don't need much else.

I am going to be getting a custom frame. Someone mentions that Fox's may be stiff enough for me. Any thoughts?

Meek One said:
I am going to be getting a custom frame. Someone mentions that Fox's may be stiff enough for me. Any thoughts?

At your weight Fox forx would be a good choice (a 95kg friend of mine rides Fox Floats - 130mm). But there's probably something suitable in all manufacturer's ranges. Just stay away from the super-lightweight xc forks and you should be fine.

MidBunchLurker said:
At your weight Fox forx would be a good choice (a 95kg friend of mine rides Fox Floats - 130mm). But there's probably something suitable in all manufacturer's ranges. Just stay away from the super-lightweight xc forks and you should be fine.

I'm about 200lbs a little more a little less, my bike came with a POS fork so after about 6months it was dead bottomed easily, I can't remember the brand. So I bought a Marzocchi MX Comp with ETA, it has worked great, it has around 100-110mm of travel (not sure) it is a 2005 model about to be two years old. Eta is something similar to a lock up, when turned on it keeps the fork down (almost compressed) with a travel of around an inch and very stiff. so is useful when going up hills or riding on smooth roads. It isn't light but from my experience it is tough I've just changed the oil once and it is going on strong.