Need Fuji bike opinion

Hprod

Guest
I'm new to road riding, but have been mtn biking for a few years. I have
been bitten by the bug and now seriously want to go and buy a road bike,
however I am not envisioning that I need anything fancy for my first bike.
From my mtn biking experience, shifting is the #1 feature I am looking for.
Not being shook to pieces on the road is #2. For what I want out of a bike
(which isn't a lot - carbon fork, seat post and stays, good shifting) my
quest for finding a quality used bike aren't hitting a reasonable price
point or has issues in one of my criteria areas. I noticed the 2007 Fuji
Roubaix RC at Performance Bike the other day and the bike is on sale at a
reasonable price point with many of the features I am looking for. It
shifts nicely and is reasonably priced, but given my experience level, they
all fell really good right now. I am pretty unfamiliar with this brand and
wondered if there are any reviews, gotchas, etc that anyone can share for
Fuji. I am looking for something around $1000, so this is really close
given the sale price. Thanks!

On Jul 7, 8:27 pm, "Hprod" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm new to road riding, but have been mtn biking for a few years. I have
> been bitten by the bug and now seriously want to go and buy a road bike,
> however I am not envisioning that I need anything fancy for my first bike.
> From my mtn biking experience, shifting is the #1 feature I am looking for.
> Not being shook to pieces on the road is #2. For what I want out of a bike
> (which isn't a lot - carbon fork, seat post and stays, good shifting) my
> quest for finding a quality used bike aren't hitting a reasonable price
> point or has issues in one of my criteria areas. I noticed the 2007 Fuji
> Roubaix RC at Performance Bike the other day and the bike is on sale at a
> reasonable price point with many of the features I am looking for. It
> shifts nicely and is reasonably priced, but given my experience level, they
> all fell really good right now. I am pretty unfamiliar with this brand and
> wondered if there are any reviews, gotchas, etc that anyone can share for
> Fuji. I am looking for something around $1000, so this is really close
> given the sale price. Thanks!

I know a few people who have the earlier version of that bike and they
are very happy with it. One of them uses it as his "rain" bike and his
regular bike cost 4x as much but he still has no complaints about the
Fuji.

I was considering one for myself as well, but my size isn't available
locally. If you feel you get good service at the store, and you are
sure the bike is the right size, go for it.

Joseph

On Jul 7, 1:27 pm, "Hprod" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm new to road riding, but have been mtn biking for a few years. I have
> been bitten by the bug and now seriously want to go and buy a road bike,
> however I am not envisioning that I need anything fancy for my first bike.
> From my mtn biking experience, shifting is the #1 feature I am looking for.
> Not being shook to pieces on the road is #2. For what I want out of a bike
> (which isn't a lot - carbon fork, seat post and stays, good shifting) my
> quest for finding a quality used bike aren't hitting a reasonable price
> point or has issues in one of my criteria areas. I noticed the 2007 Fuji
> Roubaix RC at Performance Bike the other day and the bike is on sale at a
> reasonable price point with many of the features I am looking for. It
> shifts nicely and is reasonably priced, but given my experience level, they
> all fell really good right now. I am pretty unfamiliar with this brand and
> wondered if there are any reviews, gotchas, etc that anyone can share for
> Fuji. I am looking for something around $1000, so this is really close
> given the sale price. Thanks!

For $1000, I'd look to a road bike that could take a cushier tire as
opposed to relying on gimmicky carbon bits. Makes sense on a road
fork, don't get me wrong--but unless you're club riding at high speed,
a more practical bike might be in order. There are several wannabe
crosser/touring bikes on the market like the Bianchi Volpe and Jamis
Aurora that are really nice all rounders for somebody looking to get
into road riding. Change tires to fit your needs. Of course, such a
practical bike isn't going to be raceable if that's your end goal. An
Aurora with 32mm Paselas would be the general idea if it was my
choice--but to each his own. Maybe you've got your heart set on
something absolutely racy--that's fun as well, but I'm unfamiliar with
that market.

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 11:27:25 -0700, "Hprod" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm new to road riding, but have been mtn biking for a few years. I have
>been bitten by the bug and now seriously want to go and buy a road bike,
>however I am not envisioning that I need anything fancy for my first bike.
>From my mtn biking experience, shifting is the #1 feature I am looking for.
>Not being shook to pieces on the road is #2. For what I want out of a bike
>(which isn't a lot - carbon fork, seat post and stays, good shifting) my
>quest for finding a quality used bike aren't hitting a reasonable price
>point or has issues in one of my criteria areas. I noticed the 2007 Fuji
>Roubaix RC at Performance Bike the other day and the bike is on sale at a
>reasonable price point with many of the features I am looking for. It
>shifts nicely and is reasonably priced, but given my experience level, they
>all fell really good right now. I am pretty unfamiliar with this brand and
>wondered if there are any reviews, gotchas, etc that anyone can share for
>Fuji. I am looking for something around $1000, so this is really close
>given the sale price. Thanks!

A guy I work with bought that same bike from Performance a month or so
ago. We never discuss the specifics (smooth ride, etc.) but when we
talk about it he always reports that he's very happy with the bike.

He just turned 50.

There are several wannabe
> crosser/touring bikes on the market like the Bianchi Volpe and Jamis
> Aurora that are really nice all rounders for somebody looking to get
> into road riding.

Agreed - and I'd like to add that you should stick with that faster
geometry.

I bought the Fuji Touring. The thing rides like a truck.

Hprod wrote:
> I'm new to road riding, but have been mtn biking for a few years. I
> have been bitten by the bug and now seriously want to go and buy a road
> bike, however I am not envisioning that I need anything fancy for my
> first bike. From my mtn biking experience, shifting is the #1 feature I
> am looking for. Not being shook to pieces on the road is #2. For what I
> want out of a bike (which isn't a lot - carbon fork, seat post and
> stays, good shifting) my quest for finding a quality used bike aren't
> hitting a reasonable price point or has issues in one of my criteria
> areas. I noticed the 2007 Fuji Roubaix RC at Performance Bike the other
> day and the bike is on sale at a reasonable price point with many of the
> features I am looking for. It shifts nicely and is reasonably priced,
> but given my experience level, they all fell really good right now. I
> am pretty unfamiliar with this brand and wondered if there are any
> reviews, gotchas, etc that anyone can share for Fuji. I am looking for
> something around $1000, so this is really close given the sale price.
> Thanks!

Fuji builds a good bike. I bought a leftover 2005 Ace about a year ago.
Other than a few broken spokes it' a decent ride for the price. I don't
think the Ace is in production anymore, but the Newest seem like a nice one.

Ken