Need good saddle

Hi...

I am a casual rider. I ride about 30-40 miles about once a week on
a hybrid on paved bike paths. I have a large Avenir saddle that is
very comfortable but as I get better, I am finding it interferes with
my legs and it makes me sit too far foward on it.

Any ideas for a really comfortable saddle that will allow for better
performance? I am no speed deamon or competitor. Just want to go a
bit faster and sit back on the saddle where I am supposed to be.

Marc

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi...
>
> I am a casual rider. I ride about 30-40 miles about once a week on
> a hybrid on paved bike paths. I have a large Avenir saddle that is
> very comfortable but as I get better, I am finding it interferes with
> my legs and it makes me sit too far foward on it.
>
> Any ideas for a really comfortable saddle that will allow for better
> performance? I am no speed deamon or competitor. Just want to go a
> bit faster and sit back on the saddle where I am supposed to be.
>
> Marc

Saddles preference is incredibly personal. You will get many specific
recs but my advice is that you need to try a saddle and just see if it
works for you.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi...
>
> I am a casual rider. I ride about 30-40 miles about once a week on
> a hybrid on paved bike paths. I have a large Avenir saddle that is
> very comfortable but as I get better, I am finding it interferes with
> my legs and it makes me sit too far foward on it.
>
> Any ideas for a really comfortable saddle that will allow for better
> performance? I am no speed deamon or competitor. Just want to go a
> bit faster and sit back on the saddle where I am supposed to be.
>
> Marc

Plenty of threads about this, just search for recommendations. However,
if you're in the US, have a look at the Performance Contour. It's a
steal at $23 (on sale) and I've heard it's really nice for the price.
The reviews on the website confirm this:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=18264&subcategory_ID=10051

They also have the WTB speed V Sport on sale for $15. It's sort of
between an over the top cadillac saddle and a more sporty oriented
saddle. I think they're great for town bikes. Can't go wrong for the
price:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=21971&subcategory_ID=10051
I find them comfy for about 15 miles before I want something narrower,
but I'm used to a rock hard saddle. They keep your bits happy as well.

> Plenty of threads about this, just search for recommendations. However,
> if you're in the US, have a look at the Performance Contour. It's a
> steal at $23 (on sale) and I've heard it's really nice for the price.
> The reviews on the website confirm this:
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=18264&subcategory_ID=10051
>
> They also have the WTB speed V Sport on sale for $15. It's sort of
> between an over the top cadillac saddle and a more sporty oriented
> saddle. I think they're great for town bikes. Can't go wrong for the
> price:
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=21971&subcategory_ID=10051
> I find them comfy for about 15 miles before I want something narrower,
> but I'm used to a rock hard saddle. They keep your bits happy as well.

Thanks!!!!!
Marc

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi...
>
> I am a casual rider. I ride about 30-40 miles about once a week on
> a hybrid on paved bike paths. I have a large Avenir saddle that is
> very comfortable but as I get better, I am finding it interferes with
> my legs and it makes me sit too far foward on it.
>
> Any ideas for a really comfortable saddle that will allow for better
> performance? I am no speed deamon or competitor. Just want to go a
> bit faster and sit back on the saddle where I am supposed to be.
>
> Marc

Most bike shops have a basket of saddles for sale cheap. Try a couple that
look like they might work for you. My LBS has them for five bucks each.

Performance has a good return policy. So if you have to try multiple seats,
you're fine.

Gooserider wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi...
> >
> > I am a casual rider. I ride about 30-40 miles about once a week on
> > a hybrid on paved bike paths. I have a large Avenir saddle that is
> > very comfortable but as I get better, I am finding it interferes with
> > my legs and it makes me sit too far foward on it.
> >
> > Any ideas for a really comfortable saddle that will allow for better
> > performance? I am no speed deamon or competitor. Just want to go a
> > bit faster and sit back on the saddle where I am supposed to be.
> >
> > Marc

> Most bike shops have a basket of saddles for sale cheap. Try a couple that
> look like they might work for you. My LBS has them for five bucks each.

That's a great idea, and most LBS's indeed have the wicker "hell hole"
with a pile of saddles. Sometimes you get lucky, but usually those
saddles are discarded for good reason. Deffo, worth a shot, and heck,
it's indeed usually just a fiver.

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:04:58 -0700, mcam54 wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I am a casual rider. I ride about 30-40 miles about once a week on
> a hybrid on paved bike paths. I have a large Avenir saddle that is
> very comfortable but as I get better, I am finding it interferes with
> my legs and it makes me sit too far foward on it.
>
> Any ideas for a really comfortable saddle that will allow for better
> performance? I am no speed deamon or competitor. Just want to go a
> bit faster and sit back on the saddle where I am supposed to be.

I'm really happy with my Specialized Avatar Gel. They come in
three widths, but are a bit pricier than some of the other recommendations
you've seen in this thread ($60ish, IIRC, from my LBS).

A closeout Specialized BG2 would be a nice steal. I have one of
those on my MTB, and it has been fine for all-day rides.

--
Chris BeHanna

> Any ideas for a really comfortable saddle that will allow for better
> performance? I am no speed deamon or competitor. Just want to go a
> bit faster and sit back on the saddle where I am supposed to be.

Lots of people, including me, swear by Brooks. Think of a bike from 75
years ago, when there was no plastic of foam padding, and a saddle was
just a piece of thick leather stretched over a pair of steel rails.
That's a Brooks.

The best thing about them is that they "break in" and change their shape
to fit your butt, much in the same way as a leather baseball glove
contours to your hand. This can't happen with modern foam/plastic
saddles.

They are also more comfortable in hot weather because the porous leather
absorbs some sweat and conducts heat away, whereas a plastic/foam saddle is
an excellent insulator and tends to keep the heat on your butt.

I have Brooks on both of my bikes and love them. I have gone on 150km
rides and never had any discomfort with them.

Downsides: Expensive, heavy, need some regular but infrequent
maintenance. Don't let them get wet. As with any saddle, it might not
fit you well, even after it breaks in. Best to try out a bunch of
different saddles until you find one that works for you. Find a LBS with
a generous return policy.

Photos of Brooks here:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/saddles.html

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

Touchy subject (sorry). Buying a saddle is like buying work shoes or a
good suit. If it doesn't fit YOU, you're going to be miserable, and
everyone's butt/bike/ridingstyle/needs are diferent.

I'm sure a lot have already mentioned Brooks. The Champion Flyer
(basically the much loved B-17 with springs) might fit your bill. but
again, try what's out there.
What's best for you is what's best for you.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Király wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Any ideas for a really comfortable saddle that will allow for better
> > performance? I am no speed deamon or competitor. Just want to go a
> > bit faster and sit back on the saddle where I am supposed to be.

> Lots of people, including me, swear by Brooks. Think of a bike from 75
> years ago, when there was no plastic of foam padding, and a saddle was
> just a piece of thick leather stretched over a pair of steel rails.
> That's a Brooks.
>
> The best thing about them is that they "break in" and change their shape
> to fit your butt, much in the same way as a leather baseball glove
> contours to your hand. This can't happen with modern foam/plastic
> saddles.

Worst thing is that they break in and change shape and sag and don't
have a very good design to begin with. The whole mantra is bogus. A
modern saddle with a compliant nylon shell and dense padding is far
superior, consistent in feel, cheaper, and easier to maintain.

I say that as somebody who's ridden Brooks for years, and even have a
Flyer on one of my utility bikes, as it looks right on a Brit 3 speed.

Brooks are certainly superior to overly padded "comfort" saddles, but
they're not magic, and for most uses, especially w/o fenders, a much
grander pain in the ass (intended) than they're worth.

Chris Y.F.N.W. wrote:
> Touchy subject (sorry). Buying a saddle is like buying work shoes or a
> good suit. If it doesn't fit YOU, you're going to be miserable, and
> everyone's butt/bike/ridingstyle/needs are diferent.

Right. The big problem with asking this question is that your bottom is
unique, just like everyone else's. It's almost like asking where we
found the TV remote last (on the floor to the right of my chair, it had
fallen off the arm). What's true for any of us may or may not be true
for you.

> I'm sure a lot have already mentioned Brooks. The Champion Flyer
> (basically the much loved B-17 with springs) might fit your bill. but
> again, try what's out there.
> What's best for you is what's best for you.

(In line with my TV remote answer, I didn't need the springs, the plain
B-17 works fine for me.)

Pat

Király wrote:
> They are also more comfortable in hot weather because the porous leather
> absorbs some sweat

> Downsides: Expensive, heavy, need some regular but infrequent
> maintenance. Don't let them get wet.

How does the benefit of having the saddle leather absort sweat jibe with
the downside of having to keep it from getting wet?

Is wetness bad only on the underside of the saddle?

My current saddles of choice are the San Marco Rolls (a NOS one I got
from Nashbar a while back with smooth leather cover) and the Vetta Race
Lite (might still be available from Nashbar on closeout sale).

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.

Victor Kan wrote:
> Király wrote:
> > They are also more comfortable in hot weather because the porous leather
> > absorbs some sweat

> > Downsides: Expensive, heavy, need some regular but infrequent
> > maintenance. Don't let them get wet.

> How does the benefit of having the saddle leather absort sweat jibe with
> the downside of having to keep it from getting wet?
>
> Is wetness bad only on the underside of the saddle?
>
> My current saddles of choice are the San Marco Rolls (a NOS one I got
> from Nashbar a while back with smooth leather cover)

Still made, steel railed version can be found for $50 Will probably get
one for the ride I got on order. Fits most butts, but seems hard for
the uninitiated.

>>My current saddles of choice are the San Marco Rolls (a NOS one I got
>>from Nashbar a while back with smooth leather cover)

> Still made, steel railed version can be found for $50 Will probably get
> one for the ride I got on order. Fits most butts, but seems hard for
> the uninitiated.

The current ones seem to have a weird, textured leather cover in
black/gray. The one I got is smooth, in yellow leather.

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.

Group: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Wed, Sep 20, 2006, 3:20pm (EDT-1)
From: [email protected] (Pat Lamb)

>What's best for you is what's best for
>you. (In line with my TV remote answer,
>I didn't need the springs, the plain B-17
>works fine for me.)

>Pat

A perfect example of design meeting function. The Flyer is on my
[hardtail] mountain bike and works along with the ThudBuster to absorb
minor bumps. I have a regular B17 on my road tourer.

Both are actually that same saddle, so both fit my but the same. The
only difference is one has springs.

- -

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:04:58 -0700, mcam54 wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I am a casual rider. I ride about 30-40 miles about once a week on
> a hybrid on paved bike paths. I have a large Avenir saddle that is very
> comfortable but as I get better, I am finding it interferes with my legs
> and it makes me sit too far foward on it.
>
> Any ideas for a really comfortable saddle that will allow for better
> performance? I am no speed deamon or competitor. Just want to go a bit
> faster and sit back on the saddle where I am supposed to be.

Well, speed demons and competitors may be the ones to emulate, because
they spend so much time in the saddle. So saddles favored by pros are
often a good bet. One that comes to mind is the Turbomatic, which
everyone seems to like. It has been discontinued recently, but there are
still plenty around in bike shops and on eBay.

Matt O.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi...
>
> I am a casual rider. I ride about 30-40 miles about once a week on
> a hybrid on paved bike paths. I have a large Avenir saddle that is
> very comfortable but as I get better, I am finding it interferes with
> my legs and it makes me sit too far foward on it.
>
> Any ideas for a really comfortable saddle that will allow for better
> performance? I am no speed deamon or competitor. Just want to go a
> bit faster and sit back on the saddle where I am supposed to be.
>
> Marc

I just returned from bicycling in northern Australia on both bitumen
(~700 km) and dirt (~ 1100 km) roads. Lots of "no where" on those roads.
I was bicycling between Cairns and Darwin.

I had bicycle mechanical problems but the Brooks B17 saddle that I
bought (used on e-bay) was quite up to the task. I applies lots of
bum-sweat, especially on the dirt roads that in places (Nathan River
road) were SO BAD that I had to pedal downhill through bull-dust ( thick
sand/gravel) and corrugations/washboard. Kilometers of it!

That said, the saddle never caused any problem and fit me VERY nicely. I
had to adjust the height several times to fine best fit, but the saddle
always was comfortable - even when I was sweating a LOT.

Bias! Of course! But it is based totally on my experience. I only used
"Bag Balm" a couple of times when I was sweating profusely and was
getting chafed a bit. So much for the skin in my nether region :-0

The Brooks DID take a bit of time to get to fit me properly, but that
was a year ago when I was toddling about the city.
While on the 6-week bicycle trip i put nothing on the saddle except bum
sweat) ;-)

Ken, Canada

[email protected] wrote:

> Any ideas for a really comfortable saddle that will allow for better
> performance?

I'm not saying it's for everyone . . . but I bought my saddle 18 months
ago at a flea market and have since put around 3700 miles on it on
roads that I can't even describe. It's not the lightest, but I get a
lot of work done and the ventilation is to die for.

http://keynamics.com/images/Contoured-Tractor-Seat.jpg

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi...
>
> I am a casual rider. I ride about 30-40 miles about once a week on
> a hybrid on paved bike paths. I have a large Avenir saddle that is
> very comfortable but as I get better, I am finding it interferes with
> my legs and it makes me sit too far foward on it.
>
> Any ideas for a really comfortable saddle that will allow for better
> performance? I am no speed deamon or competitor. Just want to go a
> bit faster and sit back on the saddle where I am supposed to be.
>
> Marc

Go to a decent shop that will let you buy and try, and exchange if it
doesn't work for you.

MANY good saddles from almost a dozen manufacturers.