Need guidance in purchasing a new bike

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Mirk, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Mirk

Mirk New Member

Hello,
    I am in the market for a road bike. I enjoy riding my mountain bike (husky) that I got about 5 years ago, but I want to take it to the next level. This will be my first ever road bike in over 15 years. I am 5ft 11 and weigh about 195lbs. I certainly have a lot to learn, but I know a few things about how to change a flat and adjust brakes. I recently visited my neighborhood sun and ski store to check out some bikes. By no means I am in love with these bikes, but they were around my price range. They recommended that I go with 54cm based on my physique. She was not able to give me a satisfying answer between what are the pros/cons of 54cm vs. 56cm.

Raleigh Revenio 1.0 Sport Road Bike '14

Fuji Sportif 2.3 Endurance Road Bike '14

I am trying to stay around the $600-700 price range. Of course the cheaper the better. I also have to account $250 for pedals, shoes and other accessories.

Please advise if these are good bikes or are there any other bikes in the price range that I should be considering.

Regards,
    Mirk

Tags:

2. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

I'd go with the Fuji, for the carbon fork blades/aluminum steerer. Of those two. Everything else seems comparable. The Raleigh has a chromoloy fork, and a cheap chromoloy one will ride very harshly.

3. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Tough call. These are both decent bikes. In my experience, Fuji hits the low price point by scrimping on cables, brake pads, and (sometimes) wheels. This Raleigh hits it with the steel fork. Still, I demoed a carbon version of the Revenio last summer, and I thought it really hit the mark. The aluminum versions share the dimensions and handling characteristics but with more weight and less lively ride dynamics. Either way, these are good entry-level bikes.

Regarding size, the 56 would be a better fit if your build is average to lanky, that is, with longer arms and legs. The 54 would be a better fit if your legs are on the short side or if you prefer to ride with a lower handlebar. If you go with the smaller frame, you may end up swapping for a longer handlebar stem.

4. Mirk

Mirk New Member

@mpre53 and @oldbobcat thanks for the recommendations.

Between the time of my initial post, I did some reading to try to find inexpensive bikes. Below are three bikes I found on amazon with Giordano having the most favorable reviews.

1. Schwinn
    2. Vilano
    3. Giordano Libero

Any advice on which one is a better bike between the three. Thanks!

5. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

Stick with either the Fuji or the Raleigh. All three of those are what we refer to as "bike shaped objects". You want 8 speed Claris as a minimum component group.

6. Mirk

Mirk New Member

@mpre53 thanks for the tip. I am planning on testing out some bikes this weekend and next. Will post my findings.

7. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Which bike did you get?

8. Mirk

Mirk New Member

@Froze Glad you asked, one of my friend is convincing me to "buy nice not twice" so I am going to go check out some Treks and the likes at Performance bikes tomorrow or Sunday. Any suggestions, since I may be dropping some serious cash lol!

9. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

When you look don't buy right away, come back here and post the brands and models of the ones you liked. Last thing you want to do is get into a buying frenzy because you might make a mistake. I'm an odd duck, just ask anyone here..LOL, but even though I use to like Treks, had 3 of them back in their steel days, but I would never buy one today, why you scream? because you pay more for what you get due to all the marketing you have to pay for, same is true with Cannondale and Specialized.

Let me assume you upped your target price to around $1,000, bike like the Giant Defy 2 or 3; Jamis Satellite Comp (this is a steel ride that will weigh more but will last longer and ride more comfortably); Jamis Ventura Comp; Felt F85; KHS Flite 450, Diamondback Century 2, Scott Speedster 30.

I know there are a lot Trek fans so you have to know that is just my opinion.

10. Mirk

Mirk New Member

11. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I would go with the 1.1 because it only cost another $300 and for that money you get Ultegra levers and rear derailleur, 105 front derailleur. The only thing you'll need to do is change the cables to Dura Ace 9000 when the factory ones are done for in about 1 to 2 seasons and then the entire system will feel like Dura Ace. Don't forget you will need to buy pedals.