Need hand holding

GOLD64

Jun 30, 2005
First post and I'm very green on the subject of bikes.

Looking at getting a reasonably priced hybrid (or comfort) style bike under 350$.

I am totally overwhelmed here on what size frame, tires, handle bars, number of speeds I should be looking for. Basically using for in town cruising, but sturdy enough to hop on and off of curbs and take the ocassional dirt road. Something easy to pedal and not with high-resistance tires or too much weight. (And not so trendy that the neighbor kids want to steal it!)

By the way, I'm 36 years old, 6 foot tall male, 153 pounds. Living in Minneapolis.

Thanks for any help. :confused:

GOLD64 said:
First post and I'm very green on the subject of bikes.

Looking at getting a reasonably priced hybrid (or comfort) style bike under 350$.

I am totally overwhelmed here on what size frame, tires, handle bars, number of speeds I should be looking for. Basically using for in town cruising, but sturdy enough to hop on and off of curbs and take the ocassional dirt road. Something easy to pedal and not with high-resistance tires or too much weight. (And not so trendy that the neighbor kids want to steal it!)

By the way, I'm 36 years old, 6 foot tall male, 153 pounds. Living in Minneapolis.

Thanks for any help. :confused:

start with your lbs (local bike shop) and try a few. Tell them what you want and after you try them tell them which ones you liked and why. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. If you are still confused, come back here with a few models you tried and I'm sure someone will have some input ;) good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I went to 4 different bike shops and received some helpful advice for picking out a bike. I usually stopped in during peak hours, watched and listened to salesmen talk to customers and other employees. This gave me some valuable information, like the employees attitude at each location and which shops I would want servicing any bike that I might buy.

I found two bicycles that I like, but are a little out of my price range:
Trek- 7200 FX
Gary Fisher- Nirvana FS

I also rode a Specialized-Expedition which was extremely comfortable. I really just need to test drive them all and then make a decision.

Thank you.