Need help/advice

Chris Detje

Guest
Hi folks I'm relatively new to the group, but I have a question. I started running about 9 months
ago and I run about 5 miles a day now. The big problem is by 6 pm I am almost falling asleep. What
kind(s) of food should I be eating during the day so I have some energy. I currently take mega man
vitamins 1 at lunch and 1 at breakfast and 2 slim fast shakes during the day. I am running to loose
weight and get in shape, any advice would be great. Thanks

--
Chris

www.detje.com www.msfcpoa.com

I run at a heart rate of about 115-130bpm for 90 minutes. with my target HR of 123.

--
Chris

www.detje.com www.msfcpoa.com "Bill-always hard-Rodgers " <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> > I started running about 9 months ago and I run about 5 miles a day now.
>
> In how long? To REALLY lose weight slow down and run an hour a day.
>
> Bill R.
>
> =============> - -- - (_!_)
> OO

Hmmm ... 5 miles in 90 minutes. Try to improve your speed a wee bit. How about progressing towards a
goal of five 12 minute miles (one hours worth), instead of five 18 minutes miles?

Your energy will get better. You need to get 8 hours sleep until your routine seems routine.

Stop taking those crappy vitamins. Check the iron content. If you're an average carnivore you don't
need extra iron. Iron is fat soluble (meaning will won't **** out, but rather retain, some of the
unused iron). Symptoms of iron overdose include: decreased energy; nausea; vomiting; abdominal pain;
tarry stools; a weak, rapid pulse; fever; coma; seizures; and death. This is one example of why
multi-vitamins are ****, or at least inappropriate for the average (healthy) vitamin munching twit.

How long have you been jogging or speed walking? Describe your history from sedentary to current
activity. Height? Weight? Age?

Diet? Sleep? Ethnicity? Political affiliations? Running routes (freeway underpasses or Scottish
moores?) Resting heart rate? Max heart rate? History of cardiac distress (why target 115-130 bpm?)
etceteras etceteras ....

Summarise the above and :

* report back so we may give valuable yet sarcastic advice.

* go and meet with a personal trainer and/or sports orientated dietician. Get some advice. Read some
books (running, health, voodoo and origami). Make a plan.

Surf

"Chris Detje" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I run at a heart rate of about 115-130bpm for 90 minutes. with my target
HR
> of 123.
>

> --
> Chris
>
> www.detje.com www.msfcpoa.com "Bill-always hard-Rodgers " <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> > > I started running about 9 months ago and I run about 5 miles a day now.
> >
> > In how long? To REALLY lose weight slow down and run an hour a day.
> >
> > Bill R.
> >
> > =============> - -- - (_!_)
> > OO

"Chris Detje" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi folks I'm relatively new to the group, but I have a question. I started running about 9 months
> ago and I run about 5 miles a day now. The big problem is by 6 pm I am almost falling asleep. What
> kind(s) of food should I be eating during the day so I have some energy. I currently take mega man
> vitamins 1 at lunch and 1 at breakfast and 2 slim fast shakes during the day. I am running to
> loose weight and get in shape, any advice would be great. Thanks

5 miles *every* day, seven days a week, 52 weeks a year (well 9 months)?

Either you are not getting enough sleep at night or you need to take a break now and then. Many
runners I know (including myself) take naps. If you aren't getting a sound 6-8 hours of sleep then
you will need for more. Sometimes when I get home from work I'll nap for 20 minutes before running.
The body needs to recover and it will take it when it needs it. Listen to what your body is saying
to you. Let your body adjust to your new lifestyle it can take time.

If you want energy from your foods ditch the slimfast shakes. Get whole natural food in you not some
chemical from a factory.

my $0.02 Andy

"Chris Detje" <[email protected]> wrote...

> I currently take mega man vitamins 1 at lunch and 1 at breakfast and 2 slim fast shakes during
> the day.

and that's it?

ok. i'm gonna throw in a scary idea.

try to not think about it in terms of what you *should* eat and *can* eat and *are allowed to* eat.
nobody here has the ultimate feeding manual for your body; but you yourself can find out. learn to
listen to your body. learn to feel real hunger. eat when you are hungry. do not eat when you're not
hungry. do not eat so much that you end up stuffed. (it sounds easy, i know very well it ain't.)

and, eat food which, rather than just being as low-cal as possible, is actually good for your body.
gives you vitamins and fresh stuff rather than the heaps of sugar (yes) and processed **** in the
slimfast. right now, believe it or not, you're not doing your body much good, nutrition wise, if you
look any further than the surface effect of losing weight.

learning to listen to the messages of your body isn't easy, but it's incredibly rewarding. not just
for the food thing, but also for your running, cause if you run five miles a day, every day, and
can't tell when your body needs a rest day, you will invariably end up injured at some point.

(just as a little background info. i started running to lose weight too. i was on a pretty strict
diet, basically thinking of food in terms of calories, ignoring stuff like actual nutritional value,
let alone enjoyment. i felt great, and i was losing a lot of weight, so i didn't see how anything
could be wrong. once i hit goal, i realized i had no concept of what i "could" eat now... different
issues had me turn to bingeing & gain back a lot. now i'm trying to forget the numbers in my head
and live by what my body tells me it needs. it's hard, but it's the only way that lets you truly
live in harmony with yourself - oh my god that sounded esoteric :) )

good luck - report back! nina