need help! best value for money bike £700-900 price range

zoos

Dec 22, 2012
Currently riding a Scott Scale cyclo-cross, it has been great for commuting and a few long distance rides. Looking to get a road bike for the new year, but I am so confused as to which to go for! I want to be sure of getting the best spec for money. I cycle around 12 miles per day, with longer rides of 30+ miles occasionally. I have narrowed it down to a few choices--

Pinnacle Dolomite 4 2013 Road Bike - £750 but with £100 free accessories

Giant Defy 2 Compact 2013 - £799

BMC Streetracer SR01 Tiagra Triple 2012 Road Bike - £799

Charge Filter 2013 - £799

I am 5ft 9in, 176cm tall, and do only road cycling.

If anyone can give me advice on this matter or recommend other bikes, that would be great!

Any of the bikes you listed, and any bike in that range will very likely have all the quality you need. One of the main concerns should be the road bikes intended use - racing or more laid back riding (often labeled "endurance"). Some of this will also have to do with current flexibility. The aggressiveness of the bikes in this range may vary - typically the more "racy" bikes will have slightly shorter headtubes (shorter head tube = lower handlebars = more agressive). Some things can certainly be changed within reason to "customize" the bike to your body - for instance if you are feeling a little stretched out, a slightly shorter stem can be installed (or visa versa). The stem can be 'flipped' lowering or raising the rider, and headset spacers can be added or taken away to further fine tune.

Of the bikes you listed the Giant is going to be the least aggressive - the M (with the 54.5 top tube) may be a good fit for your height, and has a 165mm headtube (the longest of the bunch, which will put you the most upright). The BMC's headtube for the same size (54) is 145mm - a little more aggressive, but not as shallow as some of the bikes on the pro tours who's headtubes can be 130mm or even less. I couldn't find any geeometry stats on the Dolomite.

Since you asked, personally I would go for this baby but that's based on personal preference:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-cinelli-experience-12-46195
It is a bit beyond the $$ range but you might be able to get a 2012 at a discount. I own last years Experience which rides great, and with the Campag Veloce group it will be way more exotic (for whatever exotic 999 quid will get you) than the others. And new Campy stuff works great, especially the brakes.

Btw, here's a review of the dolomite4 from the same site:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-pinnacle-bikes-dolomite-four-12-46684

In the end you need to pick the bike that's right for you. Just like picking a girlfriend, while getting some advice is fine, you don't want to leave the final choice your mates. The test ride is a great way to confirm the bike fits, you like the way it looks, and you like the way it rides.

Thank you enormously for taking the time to post such a detailed and explanatory reply, it was very helpful to read. Unfortunately the Cinelli Experience is slightly out of my price bracket, however thanks to your help, I am now considering either the Dolomite 4 or Giant. Definitely got to test ride both!

Many thanks

My pleasure. I have the bad habit of shamelessly plugging my bike whenever I can. To be honest any of the bikes you are looking at beats the clunker I lined up with at my first race hands down.

Happy riding.