Need Help: Bought Bike no size listed!!!!

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by BobSanders, Dec 4, 2014.

1. BobSanders

BobSanders New Member

I bought this bike, but there are no measurements. I'm 5'9". or 5'8 and three quarters. Will this bike be too small?
    http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Axios-Bicycle-Silver-18-Inch/dp/B00AYCY17C/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t
    Schwinn Men's Axios 700c Drop Bar Road Bicycle, Silver/Black/Green, 18-Inch Frame Thanks for the help. I've spend three hours looking for the answer without finding the answer.

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Presumably, the 18" size is the seat tube measurement from an unknown point A to an unknown point B ...
    • The seat tube measurement is only one of many measurements ... and, it is almost arbitrary because of the variance from maker-to-maker AND in style ([COLOR=c0c0c0]e.g., horizontal top tube vs. slanted top tube[/COLOR])
    If you have the bike, already, then you simply need to measure the TOP TUBE to determine if the frame falls within a reasonable size range for your height ... If the frame's top tube is 54.5cm (21.5") to 56cm (22"), then it is definitely OK ... Depending on how FIT you are-or-are-not, ADUSTMENTS can be made by changing the stem and/or handlebars. FWIW. I'm 5'9" tall ... if the top tube of your bike's frame is within a centimeter of the fore mentioned range with a slightly shorter-or-longer top tube (i.e., 53cm to 57cm), then I could adjust it so that I would be comfortable on it.
    • IMO, to some extent, frame size is a cosmetic choice!?! On the other hand, I know someone who is probably a couple of inches taller than I am, and he says that he is comfortable on a 21.5" frame because of its slightly shorter top tube which allows him to have a more upright ([COLOR=FF0000]or, cramped!?![/COLOR]) riding position

3. BobSanders

BobSanders New Member

Thanks for providing such a detailed response. The bike is currently in the mail and on its way to my house. I was just freaking not knowing if this bike would fit because the bike will be stuck in its box for months. It's Winter where I'm at (Wisconsin). Man, I didn't know Huffy got sold out a long time ago and is now made in China? Oh Well, this bike will be a major upgrade from my 15 year old Huffy Bike. I really don't know much about bikes and this whole time I had my seat way too low! All these years and didn't even realize this....Last time I was biking I didn't think I was going to make it. My legs had so much pain I couldn't even pedal! I didn't think I was going to make it and I was out in the middle of nowhere land without a cell-phone. Now I know the pain probably happened from having my seat too low.

I always wanted a road bike and when I bought the Schwinn Men's Axios 700c, it was listed as a road bike. Now I'm thinking it's a hybrid? Like I said I really don't know much about bikes and have been a little unlucky. There was somebody I knew that was selling a bike that I could have bought, but I didn't know he was going to sell it for $80.00. Then last Summer I saw a bike for sale while biking to work. I would have been late so I didn't get it. Big Mistake. And now I'm not sure about this Schwinn Bike, but at least it will be something. I just bought it because of the price being low $189.000

This bike looks cool, but the shipping would be $200 dollars.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/dolomite-one-2014-road-bike-ec054867#reviews

Probably just stick to the Schwinn that's in the mail.
    P.S. I didn't even know you could bike with snow on the road easily. Tried this out with my Huffy Bike on plowed roads a few days ago. It was kinda of fun.