Need Help Buying a Hybrid/MTB

boggs711

May 11, 2012
So, in my youth I would ride my bicycle everywhere and it was the one form of cardio that I really enjoyed. I'm soon returning to Japan and would like to take up cycling once again for both my health and fun. As it is now, I am 6'3" (190ish cm) and just under 300 lbs. (135ish kg). Being so large, I want to make sure I get a quality bike that I can actually ride for a few years on and off road. My budget is roughly $1000 and, keep in mind, I will be taking it with me on an airplane.

Currently, I was looking at Diamondback. I read some good reviews and then found this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-Recoil-Suspension-Mountain-Titanium/dp/B005NXMOI0

I know very little of additional parts, frames, etc. I was just wondering if this company is known for solid frames and if it would support my weight.

Thanks for the help.

Nice bike if you are going to do a fast technical descent of Mt Fuji off trail. Diamondback is a good brand but I would suggest that you opt for a hard tail. A full suspension bike is great for technical off road, unimproved trail riding and that is about all that it is good for. I suppose that your intent is to ride primarily on pavement and improved trails. A full suspension bike will rob you of power with each revolution of the pedals because it flexes. This can be a pain in the butt on a long ride on the road or even on an improved trail where you don't need a suspension to maintain control. I can see a suspension fork for comfort but not a full suspension. You probably really don't need the extra weight, pivot points, springs. etc that you get on a full suspension bike. In addition, that is just one more added expense when you take the bike for a tune-up, adjusting all that stuff. A Diamondback Hardtail will support your weight. Unless you are going to ride trails full time, you might think about changing the off road tires that come on that bike to hybrid tires which will handle trails and pavement equally well.