Need help choosing 135mm rear wheel

MTBWheels

Sep 28, 2005
Here's my dilemma:
I blew out a spoke on my Litespeed Appalachian which has 135mm spacing and need a new rear wheel. It appears this size wheel is relegated to "touring" status.
First question is: Can I use a 130mm wheel in a 135mm space? What modifications do I need to make?
Second question if the first is a no: Does anyone know of a wheel that would be competitive for cyclocross use and road training?
Thanks

MTBWheels said:
Here's my dilemma:
I blew out a spoke on my Litespeed Appalachian which has 135mm spacing and need a new rear wheel. It appears this size wheel is relegated to "touring" status.
First question is: Can I use a 130mm wheel in a 135mm space? What modifications do I need to make?
Second question if the first is a no: Does anyone know of a wheel that would be competitive for cyclocross use and road training?
Thanks

Why do you need a whole new wheel just because you broke a spoke? Unless the wheel is totally destroyed, it should be able to be repaired with a new spoke.

You may be able to space a 130 out to 135 with axle washers available at your LBS, depending on the type of hub.

John M said:
Why do you need a whole new wheel just because you broke a spoke? Unless the wheel is totally destroyed, it should be able to be repaired with a new spoke.

You may be able to space a 130 out to 135 with axle washers available at your LBS, depending on the type of hub.
The spoke and nipple pulled right out of the rim leaving a gaping hole. The rim is history and the wheelset with old 105 hubs begs to be retired.
Thanks for your input.

MTBWheels said:
The spoke and nipple pulled right out of the rim leaving a gaping hole. The rim is history and the wheelset with old 105 hubs begs to be retired.
Thanks for your input.
Too bad. A 105 hub would have been 130mm stock. I take your word that you know the spacing on your frame. Check to see if your old hub is actually a 130 spaced to 135. If that is the case, you could swap the spacer washers onto a new hub yourself.

DaveOrnee is one of our wheelmasters around here. Maybe he'll chime in.

I would think an MTB hub, such as an LX, with a road rim would do the trick easy enough. Deore LX would be pretty suitable for cyclocross use. I wouldn't speculate about using road hubs for such an application.

MTBWheels said:
Here's my dilemma:
Thanks
What width tire do you run?
If you ripped a nipple through the previous rim, you should go for something sturdier in the rim area.
Most Litespeed Appalachian frames I have seen have 132.5 mm spacing; allowing for either road or mountain hub spacing. For cyclocross there are two advantages of going with a MTB hub: superior water protection and more even spoke bracing angle left/right.
Lots of cyclocross riders use Velocity Aerohead OC rim in the rear. Depending on your weight, you can use 32 spokes with 14/17 DB left and 14/15 DB right built 3 cross with brass nipples.
If you want something even stronger you graduate to Velocity Dyad or Mavic A719.
It is hard to beat XT hubs in this application. They are very strong and serviceable.

daveornee said:
What width tire do you run?
If you ripped a nipple through the previous rim, you should go for something sturdier in the rim area.
Most Litespeed Appalachian frames I have seen have 132.5 mm spacing; allowing for either road or mountain hub spacing. For cyclocross there are two advantages of going with a MTB hub: superior water protection and more even spoke bracing angle left/right.
Lots of cyclocross riders use Velocity Aerohead OC rim in the rear. Depending on your weight, you can use 32 spokes with 14/17 DB left and 14/15 DB right built 3 cross with brass nipples.
If you want something even stronger you graduate to Velocity Dyad or Mavic A719.
It is hard to beat XT hubs in this application. They are very strong and serviceable.
I was mistaken. The frame does have 132.5mm spacing. I was able to install a 135 mtb wheel with just a little prying apart. I prefer to go with a 135 to facilitate swapping wheels with my Salsa Las Cruces.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!