Need Help choosing a bike for spring triatholon, and mountain biking - list provided

Fit Force

Apr 26, 2011
Hello, I am fairly new to biking, and am overwhelmed by the many options and price ranges out there.

I need some expert advice on my decision. I am considering buying used bikes, but want to narrow down my search.

I basically want to use this bike as a mountain bike for trail riding, but occasionally want to take it out for sprint triathlons. I am doing a spring triathlon soon, and need a bike. I cannot afford to buy 2 bikes so looking for a good mountain bike that is light, and made of quality parts. This is also why I am buying used, as I cannot afford more than 300… unfortunately.

A local bike shop rep recommended I buy a “Reebok” Rush for 250 CDN. Good?
I have no clue what to get, someone please sway my decision!!

There are some used bikes that locals are selling. Here are links.
[SIZE=14.0pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.0pt]1) 21 Speed Bianchi Eros Road Bike - RX100 - $350[/SIZE]
For sale is Bianchi road / touring bike
21.5" (55cm) Tange triple butted frame
Full Shimano RX 100 group

2) Kona Fire mountain
[SIZE=14.0pt]http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-KONA-FIRE-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-18-W0QQAdIdZ277426643[/SIZE]

3) Miele road bike - 14 speed - $220
24lbs
As follows:
Crank, Brake Calipers, Pedals, Brake Leavers, Rear Derail - Shimano 600
Rims - Ambrosio 19 - Aero Dynamic
Frame - Ishiwata Chrome Moly Double Butted Tubes, Forks and Stays
Saddle - Serfas reactive gel
[FONT= &quot] [/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]4) GARY FISCHER MOUNTAIN BIKE [/FONT]- $170
[SIZE=12.0pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12.0pt]My Bike is in good condition however I am moving out West and looking to part ways. It is a very reliable bike and comes with Rock Shox. It is a 21 speed with quickshift gears and quick release tires (front and back) for easy transport and or storage.[/SIZE]

5) Columbia Mountain Bike
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-Colombia-Mountain-Bike-W0QQAdIdZ277664196

very solid purchased original for $700

---- $400

*full suspension
*disk brakes
*solid rear suspension
*hardened rims for cross country
[SIZE=14.0pt]6) Diamondback Copperhead mountain bike - $180[/SIZE] [SIZE=12.0pt]Three year old, good condition mountain bike. With 26" wheels, 16' 6061 aluminum frame, Shimano equipped with trigger shifters, 21 speeds. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12.0pt]Great bike, never ridden hard.[/SIZE]

First off, if you are going to use this bike for triathlons, get a hardtail MTB, in other words, don't get one that has any suspension. A full suspension bike robs you of power when riding it on pavement due to the flex in the suspension. Instead of all of the power of your pedal stroke going towards turning the rear wheel, part of it is flexing the suspension. You also don't need the extra weight on pavement. If you feel that you must have some suspension, then a suspended fork is not too bad but still is weight that you don't need.

You will also need to get a set of road tires for use in the triathlons unless the cycling part is off road.

In reality, don't expect too much if you are riding a MTB in a triathlon. You are going to be using this bike for a purpose that it was not designed for competing against guys who are using purpose built bikes. You really need a dedicated road bike for your triathlons and a dedicated MTB for riding off road. If I were you, I would decide which is more important to you right now and buy a bike for that purpose, and then start saving for a bike for the other purpose. If it were possible to manufacture a bike that was a wonderful road bike and also a wonderful MTB, someone would have started making it and made millions.