cycle life

May 29, 2007
Im looking to get clipless pedals and shoes but want to keep it under $100
A few specifications are
- clips on both sides
- clip in tension adjustability
- shoes can be used for walking etc
- and under $100

I saw a set where the pedals looked like an egg beater, not sure what kind it was but it looked really nice.

opinions/recommendations would be greatly helpful

I think you'd be hard pressed to find pedals and shoes for under $100 together.

If you're after clips on both sides and shoes for walking you'll need mountain bike clipless type pedals eg Shimano SPD system. The basic SPD pedals M520 retail for around the $70 mark and a pair of Shimano shoes to suit would be around $150. You could buy some non-Shimano pedals for a bit cheaper, I think I've seen some BBB ones for around the $50 mark. If you really want to keep the price down you could look at internet sites though with shoes that may be a dicey option.

The pedals that look like egg beaters are funnily enough called Eggbeater pedals by Crank Brothers. They're a bit more pricey than the Shimano pedals and I think their basic model is around $100.

EDIT: Just realised your in the US and talking about USD... ignore my prices and the first bit :)

Deja vu !!! I saw your post in another forum.:p

I don't advice buying shoes without trying them on.
All from Performance:

Pedals:
-Good - Forté Carve MTB SPD compatible pedals = $29.99
-Better - Shimano PD-520 SPD pedals = $54.99 (may be cheaper in store)
Shoes:
-Good - Lake MX85 MTB Shoes = $59.99 (in store $49.99)
-Better -Pearl Izumi Vagabond M4 MTB Shoes = $79.99 (in store $74.95)

Eggbeater pedals are not adjustable.

Im using Shimano M520 MTB pedals and Pearl Izumi Vagabond M3 (MTB) shoes. shoes are very comfy, and pedals are great for road, and combined i can walk in them. and since im not very good on climbs (i got a bit of weight to lose) i have a few hills that require pushing lol. that and they are just more comfortable off the bike if i stop for water or something.

road specific shoes/pedals are good for....racing, or road rides not requiring walking too much.

hope you find what you need. clipless is way WAY better than anything else :)

Louis Garneau make some good comfortable shoes that are suitable to walk in and well priced. check out their web site.

Just picked up a set of m520 pedals with cleats. Still trying to decide between the shimano m075 shoes or the specialized taho...

cycle life said:
Just picked up a set of m520 pedals with cleats. Still trying to decide between the shimano m075 shoes or the specialized taho...

Specialized Tahoe shoes will serve you well, and look cool, too. I've moved up to Specialized's RT 50 shoes, which are the only road-specific shoes I know designed to use recessed SPD cleats and pedals, which make walking easy. But the Tahoes worked just fine.