Need help choosing first mountain bike!!

davethomasowns

Apr 28, 2010
Hello all! I have been looking into purchasing my first mountain bike. I do not know much about them but I know that I want to spend around $350 or less. I will use it mainly for exercise but I will be hitting some light trails on our property as well. After looking at local shops and Sports Authority I found these that interested me. Which would you guys recommend out of the following and why? Could I get more in this price range? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Specialized Hardrock $349.99
Trek 820 $329.99
Diamondback Sorrento $299.99
K2 Zed 4.4 $379.99

At that price, you are at the very low end of name brand mountain bikes. Of the bikes you listed, I like the K2 best because it's a 24 speed, has a decent RockShox fork, and good Hayes brakes. That being said, I would look into buying a used bike from craigslist or a new bike from somewhere like bikesdirect.com ($399 bike for example). Educate yourself regarding quality components and proper bike sizing before you make a purchase. Don't force yourself into buying a bike this weekend if you're not sure about something.

You have good options! I think you are in a very good price range for what you want your bike, which also is going to be your first MB. My sugestion is go for the Specialized one. Very important is to chose the right size for you. In the years to come you will see if you want to go into the next level up. Sometimes one is happy with the first choice for years! In the very small town I live the best brand one can find is Raleigh and I decided to go for it, it is a little more expensive than the unknown brands available, but still got the one on the lower end (mojave 2.0) and I am more than happy with it. Wish you will enjoy it a lot. Bikes are pure magic.