Road Cycling · Public discussion

Need Help Choosing Hybrid Bike

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 5 posts · 423 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
5 August 2006
Last activity
8 August 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
423
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am moving out of the comfort bike I've been riding for 8 years and
    looking for a low cost hybrid for the larger and narrower tires,
    straight handlebars and lighter frame. Would like to spend no more
    than $300.00 to $350.00. The two bikes recommended to me at the local
    shops are invariably the Trek 7000 or 7100 or 7200, and the Giant
    Cypress ST/Cypress. I'd like to know if anyone here has an opinion
    first on the Trek models versus the Giant models, and then if the
    Treks, can I stick with the 7000 if I can live without the front
    suspension, or am I missing out by not moving up to a 7100 or a 7200?

    Quoted message said:

    From what I've read, as you move up the the scale on the Treks the


    quality of the components improve, but in my head I'm thinking, a
    $179.00 Fuji has lasted me the last 8 years without anything other than
    a flat tire here and a bent rim there.

    And speaking of bent rims, am I asking for trouble by going from a
    large 26" x 1.85 rim that I have managed to bend (albeit by hitting
    curbs) to the lighter 700 type rims, being I am 6 feet tall and weigh
    around 265? I've learned my lesson not to hit curbs anymore but should
    I be factoring my weight into the choice of wheels a particular model
    has even if I plan to stick to paths exclusively? If so I am unsure
    how to judge one wheel from another so any help you can provide would
    be much appreciated.

  2. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am moving out of the comfort bike I've been riding for 8 years and
    looking for a low cost hybrid for the larger and narrower tires,
    straight handlebars and lighter frame. Would like to spend no more
    than $300.00 to $350.00. The two bikes recommended to me at the local
    shops are invariably the Trek 7000 or 7100 or 7200, and the Giant
    Cypress ST/Cypress. I'd like to know if anyone here has an opinion
    first on the Trek models versus the Giant models, and then if the
    Treks, can I stick with the 7000 if I can live without the front
    suspension, or am I missing out by not moving up to a 7100 or a 7200?

    Quoted message said:

    From what I've read, as you move up the the scale on the Treks the


    quality of the components improve, but in my head I'm thinking, a
    $179.00 Fuji has lasted me the last 8 years without anything other than
    a flat tire here and a bent rim there.

    And speaking of bent rims, am I asking for trouble by going from a
    large 26" x 1.85 rim that I have managed to bend (albeit by hitting
    curbs) to the lighter 700 type rims, being I am 6 feet tall and weigh
    around 265? I've learned my lesson not to hit curbs anymore but should
    I be factoring my weight into the choice of wheels a particular model
    has even if I plan to stick to paths exclusively? If so I am unsure
    how to judge one wheel from another so any help you can provide would
    be much appreciated.


    Actually as I remember reading it someplace, Giant makes the frames for both
    of these brands of bikes.
    The two brands of bikes in this price range are prety much equal.
    The cost differences would be the components used such as the shifters,
    derailuers, wheels, etc.
    I would test ride the bikes and see which one "feels" the best to you
    yourself. That's the one you want to get.
    If you cannot tell which bike feels the best, go with which bike shop you
    like more. As quality of service is worth a whole lot.
    The 7000, 7100, and 7200 all appear to have 36 spoke wheels, so you will not
    have any problem with the wheels as to your weight.

  3. Quoted message said:

    I am moving out of the comfort bike I've been riding for 8 years and
    looking for a low cost hybrid for the larger and narrower tires,
    straight handlebars and lighter frame. Would like to spend no more
    than $300.00 to $350.00. The two bikes recommended to me at the local
    shops are invariably the Trek 7000 or 7100 or 7200, and the Giant
    Cypress ST/Cypress. I'd like to know if anyone here has an opinion

    I am not sure what you mean by 'straight handlebars' but the 7xxx line
    are more upright than MTB type flat ones (due to both the stem and
    rise in the bars). The 7.x line is sort of hybrid type A (MTB bars,
    skinnier tires) where the 7xxxx line is type B leaning more towards a
    cruiser (bouncy seat post (which might not be up to your weight),
    front suspension, but more upright like the Navigator line).

    Quoted message said:


    And speaking of bent rims, am I asking for trouble by going from a
    large 26" x 1.85 rim that I have managed to bend (albeit by hitting
    curbs) to the lighter 700 type rims, being I am 6 feet tall and weigh
    around 265?

    I would look for a model with double wall rims. I am a little lighter
    than you but ride a lot and find that the spokes pull out of the rims
    an hour after the warranty expires on lesser wheels. I've also had
    hubs wear out/collapse/lose integrity on lesser wheels. I am not sure
    the models 7200 would hold up anywhere near how your Fuji did unless
    you ride very very little.

    JMO

  4. Quoted message said:

    I am moving out of the comfort bike I've been riding for 8 years and
    looking for a low cost hybrid for the larger and narrower tires,
    straight handlebars and lighter frame. Would like to spend no more
    than $300.00 to $350.00. The two bikes recommended to me at the local
    shops are invariably the Trek 7000 or 7100 or 7200, and the Giant
    Cypress ST/Cypress. I'd like to know if anyone here has an opinion
    first on the Trek models versus the Giant models, and then if the
    Treks, can I stick with the 7000 if I can live without the front
    suspension, or am I missing out by not moving up to a 7100 or a 7200?

    Quoted message said:

    From what I've read, as you move up the the scale on the Treks the


    quality of the components improve, but in my head I'm thinking, a
    $179.00 Fuji has lasted me the last 8 years without anything other than
    a flat tire here and a bent rim there.

    And speaking of bent rims, am I asking for trouble by going from a
    large 26" x 1.85 rim that I have managed to bend (albeit by hitting
    curbs) to the lighter 700 type rims, being I am 6 feet tall and weigh
    around 265? I've learned my lesson not to hit curbs anymore but should
    I be factoring my weight into the choice of wheels a particular model
    has even if I plan to stick to paths exclusively? If so I am unsure
    how to judge one wheel from another so any help you can provide would
    be much appreciated.

    I might suggest you look at some of the Raleigh models. I own a 2005
    c200 (which they don't make any longer). I have used it mostly for
    commuting and as my errand bike. But I also rode it 1200 miles on my
    first tour. And it has held up very well. No major mechanical problems
    in about 4000 miles now.

    Here is the current line up from Raleigh:
    http://www.raleighusa.com/depts.asp?deptid=7

    Ken
    --
    Messengers and mountain bikers share a common chromosome. ~James Bethea

  5. Ken C. M. said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am moving out of the comfort bike I've been riding for 8 years and
    looking for a low cost hybrid for the larger and narrower tires,
    straight handlebars and lighter frame. Would like to spend no more
    than $300.00 to $350.00. The two bikes recommended to me at the local
    shops are invariably the Trek 7000 or 7100 or 7200, and the Giant
    Cypress ST/Cypress. I'd like to know if anyone here has an opinion
    first on the Trek models versus the Giant models, and then if the
    Treks, can I stick with the 7000 if I can live without the front
    suspension, or am I missing out by not moving up to a 7100 or a 7200?

    Quoted message said:

    From what I've read, as you move up the the scale on the Treks the


    quality of the components improve, but in my head I'm thinking, a
    $179.00 Fuji has lasted me the last 8 years without anything other than
    a flat tire here and a bent rim there.

    And speaking of bent rims, am I asking for trouble by going from a
    large 26" x 1.85 rim that I have managed to bend (albeit by hitting
    curbs) to the lighter 700 type rims, being I am 6 feet tall and weigh
    around 265? I've learned my lesson not to hit curbs anymore but should
    I be factoring my weight into the choice of wheels a particular model
    has even if I plan to stick to paths exclusively? If so I am unsure
    how to judge one wheel from another so any help you can provide would
    be much appreciated.

    I might suggest you look at some of the Raleigh models. I own a 2005
    c200 (which they don't make any longer). I have used it mostly for
    commuting and as my errand bike. But I also rode it 1200 miles on my
    first tour. And it has held up very well. No major mechanical problems
    in about 4000 miles now.

    Here is the current line up from Raleigh:
    http://www.raleighusa.com/depts.asp?deptid=7

    Ken
    --
    Messengers and mountain bikers share a common chromosome. ~James Bethea

    I would also encourage you to look at Raleigh's offerings. My wife has
    a C40 that has been a wonderful bike for her. She's never even had a
    flat tire on it (wait, I didn't mean to say that!). She did change the
    seat to a Terry, but that's always a personal preference.

    Smokey

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.