Need Help Choosing Hybrid Bike

I am moving out of the comfort bike I've been riding for 8 years and
looking for a low cost hybrid for the larger and narrower tires,
straight handlebars and lighter frame. Would like to spend no more
than $300.00 to $350.00. The two bikes recommended to me at the local
shops are invariably the Trek 7000 or 7100 or 7200, and the Giant
Cypress ST/Cypress. I'd like to know if anyone here has an opinion
first on the Trek models versus the Giant models, and then if the
Treks, can I stick with the 7000 if I can live without the front
suspension, or am I missing out by not moving up to a 7100 or a 7200?
>From what I've read, as you move up the the scale on the Treks the

quality of the components improve, but in my head I'm thinking, a
$179.00 Fuji has lasted me the last 8 years without anything other than
a flat tire here and a bent rim there.

And speaking of bent rims, am I asking for trouble by going from a
large 26" x 1.85 rim that I have managed to bend (albeit by hitting
curbs) to the lighter 700 type rims, being I am 6 feet tall and weigh
around 265? I've learned my lesson not to hit curbs anymore but should
I be factoring my weight into the choice of wheels a particular model
has even if I plan to stick to paths exclusively? If so I am unsure
how to judge one wheel from another so any help you can provide would
be much appreciated.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am moving out of the comfort bike I've been riding for 8 years and
> looking for a low cost hybrid for the larger and narrower tires,
> straight handlebars and lighter frame. Would like to spend no more
> than $300.00 to $350.00. The two bikes recommended to me at the local
> shops are invariably the Trek 7000 or 7100 or 7200, and the Giant
> Cypress ST/Cypress. I'd like to know if anyone here has an opinion
> first on the Trek models versus the Giant models, and then if the
> Treks, can I stick with the 7000 if I can live without the front
> suspension, or am I missing out by not moving up to a 7100 or a 7200?
>>From what I've read, as you move up the the scale on the Treks the

> quality of the components improve, but in my head I'm thinking, a
> $179.00 Fuji has lasted me the last 8 years without anything other than
> a flat tire here and a bent rim there.
>
> And speaking of bent rims, am I asking for trouble by going from a
> large 26" x 1.85 rim that I have managed to bend (albeit by hitting
> curbs) to the lighter 700 type rims, being I am 6 feet tall and weigh
> around 265? I've learned my lesson not to hit curbs anymore but should
> I be factoring my weight into the choice of wheels a particular model
> has even if I plan to stick to paths exclusively? If so I am unsure
> how to judge one wheel from another so any help you can provide would
> be much appreciated.

Actually as I remember reading it someplace, Giant makes the frames for both
of these brands of bikes.
The two brands of bikes in this price range are prety much equal.
The cost differences would be the components used such as the shifters,
derailuers, wheels, etc.
I would test ride the bikes and see which one "feels" the best to you
yourself. That's the one you want to get.
If you cannot tell which bike feels the best, go with which bike shop you
like more. As quality of service is worth a whole lot.
The 7000, 7100, and 7200 all appear to have 36 spoke wheels, so you will not
have any problem with the wheels as to your weight.

[email protected] wrote:

>I am moving out of the comfort bike I've been riding for 8 years and
>looking for a low cost hybrid for the larger and narrower tires,
>straight handlebars and lighter frame. Would like to spend no more
>than $300.00 to $350.00. The two bikes recommended to me at the local
>shops are invariably the Trek 7000 or 7100 or 7200, and the Giant
>Cypress ST/Cypress. I'd like to know if anyone here has an opinion

I am not sure what you mean by 'straight handlebars' but the 7xxx line
are more upright than MTB type flat ones (due to both the stem and
rise in the bars). The 7.x line is sort of hybrid type A (MTB bars,
skinnier tires) where the 7xxxx line is type B leaning more towards a
cruiser (bouncy seat post (which might not be up to your weight),
front suspension, but more upright like the Navigator line).

>And speaking of bent rims, am I asking for trouble by going from a
>large 26" x 1.85 rim that I have managed to bend (albeit by hitting
>curbs) to the lighter 700 type rims, being I am 6 feet tall and weigh
>around 265?

I would look for a model with double wall rims. I am a little lighter
than you but ride a lot and find that the spokes pull out of the rims
an hour after the warranty expires on lesser wheels. I've also had
hubs wear out/collapse/lose integrity on lesser wheels. I am not sure
the models 7200 would hold up anywhere near how your Fuji did unless
you ride very very little.

JMO

[email protected] wrote:
> I am moving out of the comfort bike I've been riding for 8 years and
> looking for a low cost hybrid for the larger and narrower tires,
> straight handlebars and lighter frame. Would like to spend no more
> than $300.00 to $350.00. The two bikes recommended to me at the local
> shops are invariably the Trek 7000 or 7100 or 7200, and the Giant
> Cypress ST/Cypress. I'd like to know if anyone here has an opinion
> first on the Trek models versus the Giant models, and then if the
> Treks, can I stick with the 7000 if I can live without the front
> suspension, or am I missing out by not moving up to a 7100 or a 7200?
>>From what I've read, as you move up the the scale on the Treks the

> quality of the components improve, but in my head I'm thinking, a
> $179.00 Fuji has lasted me the last 8 years without anything other than
> a flat tire here and a bent rim there.
>
> And speaking of bent rims, am I asking for trouble by going from a
> large 26" x 1.85 rim that I have managed to bend (albeit by hitting
> curbs) to the lighter 700 type rims, being I am 6 feet tall and weigh
> around 265? I've learned my lesson not to hit curbs anymore but should
> I be factoring my weight into the choice of wheels a particular model
> has even if I plan to stick to paths exclusively? If so I am unsure
> how to judge one wheel from another so any help you can provide would
> be much appreciated.

I might suggest you look at some of the Raleigh models. I own a 2005
c200 (which they don't make any longer). I have used it mostly for
commuting and as my errand bike. But I also rode it 1200 miles on my
first tour. And it has held up very well. No major mechanical problems
in about 4000 miles now.

Here is the current line up from Raleigh:
http://www.raleighusa.com/depts.asp?deptid=7

Ken
--
Messengers and mountain bikers share a common chromosome. ~James Bethea

Ken C. M. wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I am moving out of the comfort bike I've been riding for 8 years and
> > looking for a low cost hybrid for the larger and narrower tires,
> > straight handlebars and lighter frame. Would like to spend no more
> > than $300.00 to $350.00. The two bikes recommended to me at the local
> > shops are invariably the Trek 7000 or 7100 or 7200, and the Giant
> > Cypress ST/Cypress. I'd like to know if anyone here has an opinion
> > first on the Trek models versus the Giant models, and then if the
> > Treks, can I stick with the 7000 if I can live without the front
> > suspension, or am I missing out by not moving up to a 7100 or a 7200?
> >>From what I've read, as you move up the the scale on the Treks the

> > quality of the components improve, but in my head I'm thinking, a
> > $179.00 Fuji has lasted me the last 8 years without anything other than
> > a flat tire here and a bent rim there.
> >
> > And speaking of bent rims, am I asking for trouble by going from a
> > large 26" x 1.85 rim that I have managed to bend (albeit by hitting
> > curbs) to the lighter 700 type rims, being I am 6 feet tall and weigh
> > around 265? I've learned my lesson not to hit curbs anymore but should
> > I be factoring my weight into the choice of wheels a particular model
> > has even if I plan to stick to paths exclusively? If so I am unsure
> > how to judge one wheel from another so any help you can provide would
> > be much appreciated.
> >

> I might suggest you look at some of the Raleigh models. I own a 2005
> c200 (which they don't make any longer). I have used it mostly for
> commuting and as my errand bike. But I also rode it 1200 miles on my
> first tour. And it has held up very well. No major mechanical problems
> in about 4000 miles now.
>
> Here is the current line up from Raleigh:
> http://www.raleighusa.com/depts.asp?deptid=7
>
> Ken
> --
> Messengers and mountain bikers share a common chromosome. ~James Bethea

I would also encourage you to look at Raleigh's offerings. My wife has
a C40 that has been a wonderful bike for her. She's never even had a
flat tire on it (wait, I didn't mean to say that!). She did change the
seat to a Terry, but that's always a personal preference.

Smokey