NEED HELP..Disc Brake problem

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Grippedclimer, Feb 8, 2003.

  1. Hi, I just finished building a sweet XC bike. Test drove last week and took it out today and some
    more challenging terrain. Unfortunately, I crashed into a tree with my left handle bar. After some
    time, I noticed that my front brake was not working and brake fluid was running down the line. After
    checking, the line had cracked (probably when I nailed the tree) where it attaches to the brake
    lever (right at the bolt). What is the best way to repair? Can I cut the line, re-attach and then
    bleed? How do you bleed these things? I found nothing on the Hayes site. Any help would be
    appreciated (direct email would be great). I am gonna tear apart tonight and hopefully figure
    something out so I can ride tomorrow.

    Thanks in advance,

    Mike Esparza [email protected] Albuquerque, NM

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Grippedclimer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I just finished building a sweet XC bike. Test drove last week and took it out today and some
    > more challenging terrain. Unfortunately, I crashed into a tree with my left handle bar. After some
    > time, I noticed that my front brake was not working and brake fluid was running down the line.
    > After checking, the line had cracked (probably when I nailed the tree) where it attaches to the
    > brake lever (right at the bolt). What is the best way to repair? Can I cut the line, re-attach and
    > then bleed? How do you bleed these things? I found nothing on the Hayes site. Any help would be
    > appreciated (direct email would be great). I am gonna tear apart tonight and hopefully figure
    > something out so I can ride tomorrow.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    Mike Esparza [email protected]

    If you're lucky than you'll only need to cut the hose just past the break and re-install. The only
    part you'll need is the compression bushing, which can never be reused.

    Otherwise, you may have cracked the inlet tube on the master. In this case you'll be dishing out $40
    (for the new master) and $2 for a new compression bushing. (Hopefully this is worse case)

    Download the Hayes manual from their site...click on the "Tech info/FAQ" caliper (lower left
    corner). Bleeding is easy, just make sure to follow the instructions or you'll wind up with air in
    the line, which is never a good thing.

    You can familiarize yourself with the internals from my unfortunate crash
    http://www.pbase.com/slack/hayes_brakes&page=1
    --
    Slacker

  3. L Hays

    L Hays Guest

    "Grippedclimer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I just finished building a sweet XC bike. Test drove last week and
    took it
    > out today and some more challenging terrain. Unfortunately, I crashed
    into a
    > tree with my left handle bar. After some time, I noticed that my front
    brake
    > was not working and brake fluid was running down the line. After
    checking, the
    > line had cracked (probably when I nailed the tree) where it attaches to
    the
    > brake lever (right at the bolt). What is the best way to repair? Can I
    cut
    > the line, re-attach and then bleed? How do you bleed these things? I
    found
    > nothing on the Hayes site. Any help would be appreciated (direct email
    would
    > be great). I am gonna tear apart tonight and hopefully figure something
    out so
    > I can ride tomorrow.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Mike Esparza [email protected] Albuquerque, NM

    Mike,

    It is on the Hayes site, I downloaded it the other day. It's under the Tech info/FAQ section of
    www.hayesdiscbrake.com. It's really hard to see unless you download it. Slacker has a great
    breakdown of the parts: http://www.pbase.com/slack/hayes_brakes&page=1, and the Zinn and the Art of
    Mountain Bike Maintenance book has directions also (p. 139).

    Hope this helps.

    Lance

  4. Sweet. Thanks guys. I did miss it the first time. Good thing it snowed today so I can work on it.

    Thanks again,

    Mike Esparza

  5. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 09 Feb 2003 01:47:21 GMT, [email protected] (Grippedclimer) wrote:

    >Hi, I just finished building a sweet XC bike. Test drove last week and took it out today and some
    >more challenging terrain. Unfortunately, I crashed into a tree with my left handle bar. After some
    >time, I noticed that my front brake was not working and brake fluid was running down the line.
    >After checking, the line had cracked (probably when I nailed the tree) where it attaches to the
    >brake lever (right at the bolt). What is the best way to repair? Can I cut the line, re-attach and
    >then bleed? How do you bleed these things? I found nothing on the Hayes site. Any help would be
    >appreciated (direct email would be great). I am gonna tear apart tonight and hopefully figure
    >something out so I can ride tomorrow.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >
    >Mike Esparza [email protected] Albuquerque, NM

    Two Words...not counting the sig

    Avid Mechanicals.

    :-]