NEED HELP..Disc Brake problem

Grippedclimer

Guest
Hi, I just finished building a sweet XC bike. Test drove last week and took it out today and some
more challenging terrain. Unfortunately, I crashed into a tree with my left handle bar. After some
time, I noticed that my front brake was not working and brake fluid was running down the line. After
checking, the line had cracked (probably when I nailed the tree) where it attaches to the brake
lever (right at the bolt). What is the best way to repair? Can I cut the line, re-attach and then
bleed? How do you bleed these things? I found nothing on the Hayes site. Any help would be
appreciated (direct email would be great). I am gonna tear apart tonight and hopefully figure
something out so I can ride tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Esparza [email protected] Albuquerque, NM

"Grippedclimer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I just finished building a sweet XC bike. Test drove last week and took it out today and some
> more challenging terrain. Unfortunately, I crashed into a tree with my left handle bar. After some
> time, I noticed that my front brake was not working and brake fluid was running down the line.
> After checking, the line had cracked (probably when I nailed the tree) where it attaches to the
> brake lever (right at the bolt). What is the best way to repair? Can I cut the line, re-attach and
> then bleed? How do you bleed these things? I found nothing on the Hayes site. Any help would be
> appreciated (direct email would be great). I am gonna tear apart tonight and hopefully figure
> something out so I can ride tomorrow.
>
> Thanks in advance,
Mike Esparza [email protected]

If you're lucky than you'll only need to cut the hose just past the break and re-install. The only
part you'll need is the compression bushing, which can never be reused.

Otherwise, you may have cracked the inlet tube on the master. In this case you'll be dishing out $40
(for the new master) and $2 for a new compression bushing. (Hopefully this is worse case)

Download the Hayes manual from their site...click on the "Tech info/FAQ" caliper (lower left
corner). Bleeding is easy, just make sure to follow the instructions or you'll wind up with air in
the line, which is never a good thing.

You can familiarize yourself with the internals from my unfortunate crash
http://www.pbase.com/slack/hayes_brakes&page=1
--
Slacker

"Grippedclimer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I just finished building a sweet XC bike. Test drove last week and
took it
> out today and some more challenging terrain. Unfortunately, I crashed
into a
> tree with my left handle bar. After some time, I noticed that my front
brake
> was not working and brake fluid was running down the line. After
checking, the
> line had cracked (probably when I nailed the tree) where it attaches to
the
> brake lever (right at the bolt). What is the best way to repair? Can I
cut
> the line, re-attach and then bleed? How do you bleed these things? I
found
> nothing on the Hayes site. Any help would be appreciated (direct email
would
> be great). I am gonna tear apart tonight and hopefully figure something
out so
> I can ride tomorrow.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike Esparza [email protected] Albuquerque, NM

Mike,

It is on the Hayes site, I downloaded it the other day. It's under the Tech info/FAQ section of
www.hayesdiscbrake.com. It's really hard to see unless you download it. Slacker has a great
breakdown of the parts: http://www.pbase.com/slack/hayes_brakes&page=1, and the Zinn and the Art of
Mountain Bike Maintenance book has directions also (p. 139).

Hope this helps.

Lance

Sweet. Thanks guys. I did miss it the first time. Good thing it snowed today so I can work on it.

Thanks again,

Mike Esparza

On 09 Feb 2003 01:47:21 GMT, [email protected] (Grippedclimer) wrote:

>Hi, I just finished building a sweet XC bike. Test drove last week and took it out today and some
>more challenging terrain. Unfortunately, I crashed into a tree with my left handle bar. After some
>time, I noticed that my front brake was not working and brake fluid was running down the line.
>After checking, the line had cracked (probably when I nailed the tree) where it attaches to the
>brake lever (right at the bolt). What is the best way to repair? Can I cut the line, re-attach and
>then bleed? How do you bleed these things? I found nothing on the Hayes site. Any help would be
>appreciated (direct email would be great). I am gonna tear apart tonight and hopefully figure
>something out so I can ride tomorrow.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Mike Esparza [email protected] Albuquerque, NM

Two Words...not counting the sig

Avid Mechanicals.

:-]