Need help finding articles on bromine and rash

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Mseagan, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. Mseagan

    Mseagan Guest

    A health club in town is going to build a new site close to my home and I would like to be able to
    use the pool when Purdue is not open and on Saturdays (when they open too late for me). Although
    this club has told me they will put chlorine into the pool, they plan to use bromine in the hot
    tub, which means bromine will inevitably be carried into the pool as well. Several years ago I had
    2 journal articles about the bromine rash from peer reviewed journals, but I cannot find them on
    PubMed. In fact, someone from England mailed me one of them back then. I would like to know if
    anyone knows where I can find articles about this so that I can send them to the owners of this
    club in the hopes of persuading them to avoid bromine. It does not seem to be enough for me to tell
    them that several facilities have found the rash far too common, thus causing them to eliminate
    their bromine.

    Thanks for any help.

    Marianne

    Tags:

  2. Mseagan

    Mseagan Guest

    After much searching I found the articles!

    "MSEagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s52...
    > A health club in town is going to build a new site close to my home and I would like to be able to
    > use the pool when Purdue is not open and on Saturdays (when they open too late for me). Although
    > this club has told me they will put chlorine into the pool, they plan to use bromine in the hot
    > tub, which means bromine will inevitably be carried into the pool as well. Several years ago I had
    > 2 journal articles about the bromine rash from
    peer
    > reviewed journals, but I cannot find them on PubMed. In fact, someone from England mailed me one
    > of them back then. I would like to know if anyone knows where I can find articles about this so
    > that I can send them to the owners of this club in the hopes of persuading them to avoid bromine.
    > It does not seem to be enough for me to tell them that several facilities
    have
    > found the rash far too common, thus causing them to eliminate their
    bromine.

    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Marianne

  3. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "MSEagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s52...
    > A health club in town is going to build a new site close to my home and I would like to be able to
    > use the pool when Purdue is not open and on Saturdays (when they open too late for me). Although
    > this club has told me they will put chlorine into the pool, they plan to use bromine in the hot
    > tub, which means bromine will inevitably be carried into the pool as well. Several years ago I had
    > 2 journal articles about the bromine rash from
    peer
    > reviewed journals, but I cannot find them on PubMed. In fact, someone from England mailed me one
    > of them back then. I would like to know if anyone knows where I can find articles about this so
    > that I can send them to the owners of this club in the hopes of persuading them to avoid bromine.
    > It does not seem to be enough for me to tell them that several facilities
    have
    > found the rash far too common, thus causing them to eliminate their
    bromine.

    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Marianne

    24 Hour Fitness here in Texas uses bromine in its swimming pools. I love it! It is so much nicer
    than the chlorine in the odor and taste and the way it affects the skin and hair. I have been a
    member for a year and 1/4 with no rash problems at all. I used to have quite a rash from the
    chlorine in another pool. I swim at least every other day and sometimes every day.

    Pat in TX

  4. Mseagan

    Mseagan Guest

    I also swam in bromine for a long time and loved it....for 7 years, until the rash started coming.
    Today I mentioned the rash to my neighbor as we talked about this club and she said that she never
    understood why she got a rash from her hottub ...She had been using bromine.