Need help finding inexpensive kid's road bike

ccallana

Aug 14, 2010
My kid wants to give a go at a road bike - problem is, he's small, and young...

They just don't make many very small framed bikes anymore - those that do, are not cheap.

I've looked around craigslist and such and haven't found much in my area (Sacramento, CA).

I love the Felt F24 (I ride a Felt) - but too pricey new.

Trek made the KDR1000 a few years back, I don't see it any more, and haven't found any used ones around.

Fuji makes the ACE, again, not terribly cheap and I don't really like the stem mounted shifters.

Any suggestions from this crowd on a 43cm/650c or 24" road bike for a kid? :)

I've got a 22-year-old, very small Lotus Challenger SX in good condition which has been hanging untouched in the garage for about 20 years. Suntour, I think. 6- or 7-speed double. Downtube shifters. My son, then age 12, only rode it up and down our little dead-end street, plus a couple of trips on the road around a local reservoir. No wheels though--my son's GF is running them on her bike, a 70's era mixte; they were 700c, not 650c. The seat is a bit scuffed up; you'd want to get a new one. But the frame and components are in good shape. Needs a thorough cleaning & polishing up.

Not sure if you'd be interested; if you are, send me a note and I'll ask my son if he'd like to sell it, and if so, what he'd be asking.