Need help for a research paper...please help!!

epocker

Sep 15, 2009
I am a student at the University of Louisville and I am taking a writing that is requiring me to choose a subculture and investigate it. I chose cyclists as a subject since I am already somewhat involved with the Louisville Bike Club. There are a few things that I would like to get a women's perspective on. Any input on my questions would be much appreciated.

1. I know men greatly out number women in the groups that I ride with. Is it like that with your group or local club?

2. Why do you think there are so many more men than women?

3. What attracted you to the sport?

4. Do you have a regular group in or outside of a local club that you ride with on a regular basis? If so, what brought you all together?
progress.gif

epocker said:
I am a student at the University of Louisville and I am taking a writing that is requiring me to choose a subculture and investigate it. I chose cyclists as a subject since I am already somewhat involved with the Louisville Bike Club. There are a few things that I would like to get a women's perspective on. Any input on my questions would be much appreciated.

1. I know men greatly out number women in the groups that I ride with. Is it like that with your group or local club?

2. Why do you think there are so many more men than women?

4. Do you have a regular group in or outside of a local club that you ride with on a regular basis? If so, what brought you all together?
progress.gif
Why are bib shorts only made for men unless one spends $500. for a pair of women's shorts.
Time for equality from manufactures of bib shorts. Don't get me started on the riding shirts. I refuse to wear pink when I ride..pink is for my yoga class.

A cyclist needs good equipment when riding her bike = o )

1. The Toronto Bike Network is averaging 40 per cent attendance from women.
This is one of the popular cycling groups for both men and women in Toronto.

2. Why do you think there are so many more men than women? It's a sport that men can do without the interruption of giving birth and raising a family. Also, many women in Toronto, . Ontario are afraid to ride on the streets limiting their riding. It is not a bike friendly city. One has to have no fear to ride here. It is possible that more men have less fear of cycling in Toronto.
Men tend to make more money than women therefore spending more on there bikes and gear.
Women are label "Tom boys" if they ride. This may cause problem with self-esteem for young women. I know it may not be prevalent today, however, many women over 40 were brought up that way.
I have been riding a bike since I was 7 or 8. I have always had a bike however my former boyfriend introduced to long distance cycling. He is German.
I love the feeling of freedom and intimacy with the road. Control of my destiny when cycling on the country back roads. The fresh air. The no fear attitude when riding in the city. The level of exercise I get when I ride, weather permitting.

Yes, Toronto Bike Network last summer attended regularly. Summer 09 due to weather some of the rides were not so inviting did not keep my attendance up.
I was looking to socialize with others with the same common goal of cycling. Many options and different riding paces available in the club. :cool:

urbrangrrl said:
Why are bib shorts only made for men unless one spends $500. for a pair of women's shorts.
Time for equality from manufactures of bib shorts. Don't get me started on the riding shirts. I refuse to wear pink when I ride..pink is for my yoga class.

A cyclist needs good equipment when riding her bike = o )

Pearl Izumi sells bib shorts for the same price as the mens - $155. I can vouch for the fact that the mens version is really comfy, even after 17 hours in the saddle. The majority of their tops aren't in pink. They do a pink sleaveless number with pretty flowers on that I'm sure you'll appreciate though. ;)

Castelli don't do a bib short for the ladies but they do have the rather skimpy looking Niki Sexy Short... in white, with a rather fetching pink waist band. They'll probably look great with the afore mentioned top. You should buy them both and send the pics along. :p