Need help: helping a friend build a bike...

free_rideman

Mar 20, 2006
He is a heavier rider coming in at around 225 pounds. He badly needs a new bike, and I have agreed to help him build up one. The only thing, is I want to get him a frame that is long lasting, not too much too look after, but most importantly: comfortable! Our first option was the aluminum/carbon blends out there, but then, it still is aluminum, and I think something a bit more stronger (no fatiuge) would suit him better.

So I found this bike on GVH bikes:

http://www.gvhbikes.com/inventorynew.html

-> scroll down to the Gary V Titanium bike for $800

Is this too good to be true? Real titanium? Wouldn't it be more expensive or something?

Also will it really be that much more comfortable than any other frame? Titanium is known to be very flexy, which is good. That should mean it will be comfy...

free_rideman said:
Is this too good to be true? Real titanium? Wouldn't it be more expensive or something?
The price is in line with some other Ti builders, like Habanero. I wouldn't suggest any frame for a rider that heavy without a test ride. Most of the flex that people talk about in Ti frames is lateral. While not a big deal for lighter riders, under someone heavy it can make the handling terrible.

Would you recommend my friend just go to a steel frame? Would it be more comfortable than a aluminum/carbo seat stays frame?

Obviously these aren't in depth questions, since there are so many variables. But I would like to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for the help so far. Appreciate it. :)

free_rideman said:
Would you recommend my friend just go to a steel frame? Would it be more comfortable than a aluminum/carbo seat stays frame?

Obviously these aren't in depth questions, since there are so many variables. But I would like to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for the help so far. Appreciate it. :)
I would put less emphasis on material and just look for a frame with the right geometry and a reputation for strength.

Good point! Do you have any recommendations?

What about Gary V? Ever heard of this company?

Thanks so much.