Need Help Identifying Vintage Schwinn Bicycle

Robert W. Neumann

Guest
I need some help identifying (and perhaps estimating value) of
an old vintage Schwinn bicycle that has been in my family for a long time.

I suspect it is from the late 1930's or early 1940's. On the front of the
bike "fork" just below the handlebars there is a "Schwinn" emblem and there is
a picture of a propeller-driven airplane just above the word "Schwinn".

The chain guard is all chrome without any name on the chain guard, the tires
are balloon tyres (black, probably were replaced), and the fenders are also
chrome. The bike frame is red and I suspect is original, not repainted.

Once I have and idea what this is I want to sell it but I need to know
some kind of area of pricing, as the bike is in really great shape, very little
rust or scratches, etc.

I tried doing some research on ebay and with Google but haven't found any bikes
with the namplate emblem with the airplane in front.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob Neumann
email:[email protected]

Phone: 630-257-6289

"Robert W. Neumann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I need some help identifying (and perhaps estimating value) of
> an old vintage Schwinn bicycle that has been in my family for a long time.
>
> I suspect it is from the late 1930's or early 1940's. On the front of the
> bike "fork" just below the handlebars there is a "Schwinn" emblem and
> there is
> a picture of a propeller-driven airplane just above the word "Schwinn".
>
> The chain guard is all chrome without any name on the chain guard, the
> tires
> are balloon tyres (black, probably were replaced), and the fenders are
> also
> chrome. The bike frame is red and I suspect is original, not repainted.
>
> Once I have and idea what this is I want to sell it but I need to know
> some kind of area of pricing, as the bike is in really great shape, very
> little
> rust or scratches, etc.
>
> I tried doing some research on ebay and with Google but haven't found any
> bikes
> with the namplate emblem with the airplane in front.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Neumann
> email:[email protected]
>
> Phone: 630-257-6289

Try alt.collecting.bicycles

Some of the regulars are Schwinn collectors and may be able to help you
identify and even possibly come up with a manf date for you...

Robert W. Neumann wrote:
> I need some help identifying (and perhaps estimating value) of
> an old vintage Schwinn bicycle that has been in my family for a long time.
>
> I suspect it is from the late 1930's or early 1940's. On the front of the
> bike "fork" just below the handlebars there is a "Schwinn" emblem and there is
> a picture of a propeller-driven airplane just above the word "Schwinn".
>
> The chain guard is all chrome without any name on the chain guard, the tires
> are balloon tyres (black, probably were replaced), and the fenders are also
> chrome. The bike frame is red and I suspect is original, not repainted.
>
> Once I have and idea what this is I want to sell it but I need to know
> some kind of area of pricing, as the bike is in really great shape, very little
> rust or scratches, etc.
>
> I tried doing some research on ebay and with Google but haven't found any bikes
> with the namplate emblem with the airplane in front.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Neumann
> email:[email protected]
>
> Phone: 630-257-6289

Possibly try the Canadian Museum of Science and Technology and they
even have a bicycle on their website logo :).
http://www.sciencetech.technomuses.ca/

They have a good bicycle collection, and have even published at least
one monograph on the topic of bicycles in Canada. The last time I spoke
to him the curator of that area was quite enthuiastic about bikes.
Unfortunately I don't have his name any more.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada