Need help ID'ing Vintage Guerciotti

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> Sorni wrote:
>> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

>>> What car was it?

>> A really yellow one.
>> Bill "S2K" S.

> Oooohhhhh. Before I got my own Honda, I wanted an S2000. Well, I
> still do. But I got a Honda with a higher redline (13k) than even the
> S2000. And it's 10 years older:
>
> http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/cbr4.jpg
>
> Okay so it's cheating...
>
> How is the S2k? Is it tuned like a motorcycle with a big kick in the
> pants at 7k? Or is it more like a regular car? Most importantly,
> how well does it carry the MTB?

Only got it yesterday; still need to get a feel for it before the fun
starts. (And no, I kept the Rav4 -- a /senior citizen/ SUV not a /chick/
SUV -- to haul bikes, groceries, etc.)

My beloved old 3000GT VR4 flunked smog inspection and had some other issues
(even only 67,000 miles and looked like new still), so had to decide whether
to fix it, replace it, or replace BOTH vehicles and get a "real" (nice) SUV.
By buying the S2000 I'm keeping a death grip on youth a while longer.
(Could have bought class with an SLK 350, virility with a 350Z, penile
enhancement with a Corvette, or...???)

Bill "and Greg's Xterra is a lesbo vehicle" S.

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

> A Paramount outfitted similarly got almost $4k recently.

I found this one in the COMPLETED AUCTIONS:
**********
1969 Schwinn Paramount w/ Campagnolo 1st Gen. Brakes
All Chrome 20" with Clement Campionato Del Mondo Seta!
Item number: 7219099201
*************

Sold on Feb 22 for $3650
No feedback yet on the sale from either party but they both seem to be
legit.

Also from the ad: **************
Vintage original 1969 all chrome Schwinn Paramount in pristine
condition, serial number L916, 20" center to top with a 21" top tube.
Full Campy Record and Nuovo Record throughout.
Includes original rare "PATENT" rear derailleur, and original rare
Campagnolo brakeset with no engraving on the caliper arms. The tires are
virtually new Clement Campionato Del Mondo Seta with Wienmann rims.
Campy bar end shifters. Old log Cinelli bars have been drilled for
internal routing of the cable housing. Campy seatpost has custom milled
fluting. Brooks Team Professional saddle has been custom cut,
"butchered". Bar tape is new, otherwise this bike is 100% correct and
original. This bike has the original owner's name on the top tube.
********************

So this bike is quite different from the Guerciotti. There's another
Guerciotti on eBay that's getting zero bids at half that number. Your
friend isn't being realistic about his asking price.

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 21:30:55 -0500, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Werehatrack wrote:
>> Immediate first impression: $2K as an opening bid? Dream on!

>A similar one outfitted identically went for $2.2k several months ago on
>eBay. If I hadn't seen it for myself I wouldn't have believed it.

That part we believe. The bike's worth every dime of it, looks like it fell out
of the old catalog:
http://www.classicrendezvous.com./Italy/Guerciotti/Guerc_sr_bike.htm

Auction psychology being what it is, an item that is worth and will often sell
for 3K might get no bids if the opening is 2K . OTOH, it could go for 3.5 if
you start it at 1 or less.

Then again, being gorgeous and spring starting to visit, it might go. But if it
doesn't, don't think that it won't get that kind of money, instead it might need
a lower opening bid to get people involved.

Ron

Sorni wrote:
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>
>>Sorni wrote:

>>>A really yellow one.
>>>Bill "S2K" S.

>>Oooohhhhh. Before I got my own Honda, I wanted an S2000. Well, I
>>still do. But I got a Honda with a higher redline (13k) than even the
>>S2000. And it's 10 years older:
>>
>>http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/cbr4.jpg
>>
>>Okay so it's cheating...
>>
>>How is the S2k? Is it tuned like a motorcycle with a big kick in the
>>pants at 7k? Or is it more like a regular car? Most importantly,
>>how well does it carry the MTB?

> Only got it yesterday; still need to get a feel for it before the fun
> starts. (And no, I kept the Rav4 -- a /senior citizen/ SUV not a /chick/
> SUV -- to haul bikes, groceries, etc.)
>
> My beloved old 3000GT VR4 flunked smog inspection and had some other issues

Bummer.

> (even only 67,000 miles and looked like new still), so had to decide whether
> to fix it, replace it, or replace BOTH vehicles and get a "real" (nice) SUV.
> By buying the S2000 I'm keeping a death grip on youth a while longer.
> (Could have bought class with an SLK 350, virility with a 350Z, penile
> enhancement with a Corvette, or...???)
>
> Bill "and Greg's Xterra is a lesbo vehicle" S.

Hahaha, it will be the Yin to my soon to arrive 350Z.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

In article <yf6Pf.479663$0l5.18144@dukeread06>,
[email protected] says...

>Werehatrack wrote:
>> Immediate first impression: $2K as an opening bid? Dream on!

>A similar one outfitted identically went for $2.2k several months ago on
>eBay. If I hadn't seen it for myself I wouldn't have believed it.

Nice bike, but not $2k nice. Lots of bits have rust that will detract from the
final selling price.
-------------
Alex

G.T. wrote:
> Sorni wrote:

>> {snip} By buying the S2000 I'm keeping a death grip on
>> youth a while longer. (Could have bought class with an SLK 350,
>> virility with a 350Z, penile enhancement with a Corvette, or...???)

>> Bill "and Greg's Xterra is a lesbo vehicle" S.

> Hahaha, it will be the Yin to my soon to arrive 350Z.

"Yin"? The MB dealership had a gorgeous '05 black convertible Z with only
9500 miles for a full $10K less than a new one, but A) I already owned a
black convertible (Mustang GT) once; and B) it had some right front end
damage to the plastic spoiler, and I realized I'd trash it further the way I
tend to corner (and park!). (Plus, the top operation seemed slow and
cumbersome to me -- overly complicated.)

Test drove the S2000 and it just felt right: quick, tight, nimble...next
best thing to {insert unobtainable actress' name here}.

Bill "the cup-holders suck though (in way of shifter!)" S.

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> In article <yf6Pf.479663$0l5.18144@dukeread06>,
> [email protected] says...
> >

> >Werehatrack wrote:
> >> Immediate first impression: $2K as an opening bid? Dream on!

> >A similar one outfitted identically went for $2.2k several months ago on
> >eBay. If I hadn't seen it for myself I wouldn't have believed it.

> Nice bike, but not $2k nice. Lots of bits have rust that will detract from the
> final selling price.

Agreed. A few hours spent detailing that bike could raise the selling
price significantly.

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> In article <yf6Pf.479663$0l5.18144@dukeread06>,
> [email protected] says...
> >

> >Werehatrack wrote:
> >> Immediate first impression: $2K as an opening bid? Dream on!

> >A similar one outfitted identically went for $2.2k several months ago on
> >eBay. If I hadn't seen it for myself I wouldn't have believed it.

> Nice bike, but not $2k nice. Lots of bits have rust that will detract from the
> final selling price.

Also looks like the drop-out adjuster screw caps are gone (not much to
replace, I'll sell the buyer my spares for $1K or less) and possibly
some rust under the paint on the down tube near the head lug.

These bikes were as common as fleas in the 70s/80s, along with sundry
Colnagos, Ciocc, Gios, etc.,etc. No particular cachet like De Rosa or
Masi. Once you strip the paint to cure the rust, it is just another SL
frame with crummy NR/SR components -- no sealed anything, cranks that
break (I broke three or four, who knows, I lost count), friction
shifting six-speed, 26.4 bars and what looks to be a Cinelli 1R,
perhaps the worst stem ever made (it uses a wedge that presses against
the bars -- or at least it is supposed to), 13mm box wrench needed for
seat angle adjustments -- not likely something you have in your seat
bag if you need to fine tune. And don't get me going on toe clips and
those SR pedals. I used those back in the metal cleat days and ate up
the cages, like everyone else. But, I guess, there are collectors who
like these things. -- Jay Beattie.