Need help in choosing a bike!

bikinggirl78

Apr 16, 2006
Hi all,
I am going to be doing the MS Bike Ride in June for the first time and I need some help on purchasing a bike. This is my first time doing a ride like this. I don't want to spend too much money on a bike though. I can only spend about $170. Do you think it will still be a decent bike to ride on a 100 mile trek? :eek:

bikinggirl78 said:
Hi all,
I am going to be doing the MS Bike Ride in June for the first time and I need some help on purchasing a bike. This is my first time doing a ride like this. I don't want to spend too much money on a bike though. I can only spend about $170. Do you think it will still be a decent bike to ride on a 100 mile trek? :eek:
Firstly you need to do quite a lot of riding before you attempt a ride like this and build your fitness by walking plenty, if you can, try some swimming.

Buy yourself a cheap mountain bike of reasonable quality (I think that Giant Upland is great value and has reasonable quality components, extremely durable-You probably have far more choice than we do in Australia), making sure it fits you (not just what some bike shops may say fits). Learn to ride the bike on cadence rather than power pedalling. Depending on the course you may want to change tyres to semi slicks or slicks as mountain bike tyres are harder to pedal and thus it is harder to gain good speeds.

You will find if you are serious about your approach and train sensibly, you will probably be hooked on bike riding and you will want to upgrade gears (for a very low price) to gain more speed. Then, who knows - I began 2 years ago in a similar manner and now have MTB for bad terrain with upgraded gearing and road bike for more serious riding on good terrain!:)

I agree with Little Jackie on recommendations given, but I think buying a used bike may be an even better idea. Since it seems as you have little experience in cycling, going to the local bike shop and asking if they have any used bikes in your price range would be a good idea. You could also buy used from the paper, ebay, etc., but these might need repair, while ones from your LBS will have been given proper attention. Good luck with your ride, and I hope this will be one of many for you.

Yes, if that's all you can spend, try to go used (but make sure it FITS you or you'll never want to ride again).

Geonz said:
Yes, if that's all you can spend, try to go used (but make sure it FITS you or you'll never want to ride again).
YES! Make sure it fits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Little Jackie said:
Firstly you need to do quite a lot of riding before you attempt a ride like this and build your fitness by walking plenty, if you can, try some swimming.

Buy yourself a cheap mountain bike of reasonable quality (I think that Giant Upland is great value and has reasonable quality components, extremely durable-You probably have far more choice than we do in Australia), making sure it fits you (not just what some bike shops may say fits). Learn to ride the bike on cadence rather than power pedalling. Depending on the course you may want to change tyres to semi slicks or slicks as mountain bike tyres are harder to pedal and thus it is harder to gain good speeds.

You will find if you are serious about your approach and train sensibly, you will probably be hooked on bike riding and you will want to upgrade gears (for a very low price) to gain more speed. Then, who knows - I began 2 years ago in a similar manner and now have MTB for bad terrain with upgraded gearing and road bike for more serious riding on good terrain!:)
Yea I've decided that I am going to do some small bike rides in the meantime. There's no way I will be ready for the MS Bike Ride.