need help in So. Florida

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Pbwaxman, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Pbwaxman

    Pbwaxman Guest

    My wife was told, as a result of her mamogram, to get a stereotactic core biopsy. One of our
    problems is we have no idea how to find out about surgeons and oncologists in our area (Coral
    Springs, South Florida). Does anyone know of a web site that can tell us about the several doctors
    who have been mentioned to us? The two web sites I found on my own charge a fee for any information
    about a doctor.

    Has anyone had experience dealing with breast surgeons and/or oncologists in the Coral Springs/Ft.
    Lauderdale general area?

    We can use any information we can get. Thank G-d, this is our first encounter with even the
    possibility of cancer. To say we're very nervous would be an understatement.

    Is there an Internet-based discussion group that "specializes" in the South Florida area?

    Thank you for any information/advice anyone can give us.

    Tags:

  2. J

    J Guest

    PBWaxman wrote:

    > My wife was told, as a result of her mamogram, to get a stereotactic core biopsy. One of our
    > problems is we have no idea how to find out about surgeons and oncologists in our area (Coral
    > Springs, South Florida). Does anyone know of a web site that can tell us about the several doctors
    > who have been mentioned to us? The two web sites I found on my own charge a fee for any
    > information about a doctor.
    >
    > Has anyone had experience dealing with breast surgeons and/or oncologists in the Coral Springs/Ft.
    > Lauderdale general area?
    >
    > We can use any information we can get. Thank G-d, this is our first encounter with even the
    > possibility of cancer. To say we're very nervous would be an understatement.
    >
    > Is there an Internet-based discussion group that "specializes" in the South Florida area?
    >
    > Thank you for any information/advice anyone can give us.

    Hello, the alt.support.cancer FAQ (Part One, I think) has "how to find a " sections there
    http://www.cancersupporters.com You may wish to join the news:alt.support.cancer.breast newsgroup
    Sometimes by just clicking on the above (if it's highlighted) would subscribe but maybe not if
    you're using Google. HTH and good luck J

  3. Larry

    Larry Guest

    You are very smart to be taking a breath and taking the time to research things.

    Check out breast cancer foundations and their web sites, such as

    http://www.komen.org/intradoc-cgi/idc_cgi_isapi.dll?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=577

    Find one with an 800 number where you can call and get a referral. The one above has a message board
    that you can subscribe to and ask questions of other patients who have more experience with this.

    Go to http://listserv.acor.org/archives/ and select the group "BRCA" (Breast Cancer Support Group).
    Subscribe to this list and ask your question there. I'm sure there is someone from south FL who has
    dealth with this and can give you a referral.

    Lastly, my advice is that if, G-d forbid, it goes beyond the biopsy ... stick with a major medical
    institution who has experience with this as opposed to a local hospital (like Univ. of Miami). I
    know it's less convenient. My folks live in Delray ... and when my Dad needed a bypass ... we took
    him to Northridge. It was 40 mins each way every day ... but you can't beat the care he got. You may
    also be well advised to get two refferals so you can get a 2nd opinion if necessary.

    Good Luck!

    Larry

    PBWaxman wrote:
    > My wife was told, as a result of her mamogram, to get a stereotactic core biopsy. One of our
    > problems is we have no idea how to find out about surgeons and oncologists in our area (Coral
    > Springs, South Florida). Does anyone know of a web site that can tell us about the several doctors
    > who have been mentioned to us? The two web sites I found on my own charge a fee for any
    > information about a doctor.
    >
    > Has anyone had experience dealing with breast surgeons and/or oncologists in the Coral Springs/Ft.
    > Lauderdale general area?
    >
    > We can use any information we can get. Thank G-d, this is our first encounter with even the
    > possibility of cancer. To say we're very nervous would be an understatement.
    >
    > Is there an Internet-based discussion group that "specializes" in the South Florida area?
    >
    > Thank you for any information/advice anyone can give us.

  4. Pbwaxman

    Pbwaxman Guest