Need help making a decision for a road tire

Briguy

Aug 25, 2004
So you have some back ground the bike is a 2005 Trek 2100. I want my bike to stand out so I am looking for a tire with either a red sidewall or red tread pattern. I ride as a recreation excersize and do not plan to race. If you select other please specify what else I should be looking at. Thanks!

Briguy said:
So you have some back ground the bike is a 2005 Trek 2100. I want my bike to stand out so I am looking for a tire with either a red sidewall or red tread pattern. I ride as a recreation excersize and do not plan to race. If you select other please specify what else I should be looking at. Thanks!

Michelin Pro Race2 now available in red, or, if you want a long lasting tire, Michelin Carbon (with red line).

Tufo and Continental do nothing but attract flat tires and problems.

Michelin is the way to go, or even Vittoria!!!

gpelpel said:
Michelin Pro Race2 now available in red, or, if you want a long lasting tire, Michelin Carbon (with red line).
Those look very nice. Thanks for the input everyone. Please keep it coming!

Another vote cast for Michelin Carbons. I commute 30 miles round trip a day on 'em: they last; they're pretty damned puncture resistant; they handle/stick well....and you can get 'em w/ a red stripe iffin' that tickles your fancy. They're not terribly expensive, either. I'm admittedly biased: ride on Michelin Carbons on me bike; raced motorcyles on Michelin rubber; and I have Michelin rubber on my Outback. They know their rubber.

Yep, michelins get my vote too.... been using pro race for a while now..... & have just ordered a set of pro race 2's

Lama said:
Yep, michelins get my vote too.... been using pro race for a while now..... & have just ordered a set of pro race 2's
i like continental GP, but i have found that several pairs have suffered from tyre seperation, not recommended when you have lots of cornering and fast descents to do, they did seem to have a very low rolling resistance but i must admit that the tyre seperation is a great concern.

Anyone familiar with Bike Tires Direct? They seem reasonable. Looks like I will be going with Michelins however now I need to decide on..

Carbons - $29.95
Pro Race - $32.95
Pro Race 2- $37.95 <-leaning towards. They look damn nice in red.

My bike comes with 700x25mm on it. Does the 23mm make much of a difference? Again thanks for all the input!

Briguy said:
Anyone familiar with Bike Tires Direct? They seem reasonable. Looks like I will be going with Michelins however now I need to decide on..

Carbons - $29.95
Pro Race - $32.95
Pro Race 2- $37.95 <-leaning towards. They look damn nice in red.

My bike comes with 700x25mm on it. Does the 23mm make much of a difference? Again thanks for all the input!
Performance has Hutchinson Carbon Comps in red 23mm on sale:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16215&subcategory_ID=5420#

Hmmmm..... that's a nice price. How good is Hutchinson when matched up against Michelin though?

Briguy said:
Michelin Pro Race

Alpha said:
Michelin Pro Race
Give the Vittoria Open Corsa CX a try, damn fine racing/training tyre. Good puncture protection, lightweight (230g) and more importantly available in Red......

I tried the Conti Attack/Force combo, they are a really good tyre but they just don't last long enough.

Don't like Michelin tyres, tried the Pro Race and Pro Axial and they aren't a patch on the Vittoria. Just my opinion though.

Vredestein are making a good name for themselves, never tried them but a lot of pro's now ride the Fortezza so they can't be all bad.

leegregory said:
Give the Vittoria Open Corsa CX a try, damn fine racing/training tyre. Good puncture protection, lightweight (230g) and more importantly available in Red......

I tried the Conti Attack/Force combo, they are a really good tyre but they just don't last long enough.

Don't like Michelin tyres, tried the Pro Race and Pro Axial and they aren't a patch on the Vittoria. Just my opinion though.

Vredestein are making a good name for themselves, never tried them but a lot of pro's now ride the Fortezza so they can't be all bad.
LEGRO Ain't it???

Everyone. I have decided to go with the Michelin Pro Race 2. I was able to go through a retailer on Ebay. $60 for the set is not too shabby. Thanks!

Briguy said:
Everyone. I have decided to go with the Michelin Pro Race 2. I was able to go through a retailer on Ebay. $60 for the set is not too shabby. Thanks!
You'll love them. I have had nothing but excellent luck with Michelins. They are very long lasting, and they corner extremely well in my weekly crit. The only complaint I have, is I have a very small drawbridge that is part of my daily training ride that has a metal grate for a surface. The Michelins are a little slippery when the grate is wet. Not a problem that too many cyclist have to deal with, but a little warning just in case. I still wouldn't change them.

:cool:

Sorry, a bit late to this one

The Pro Race 2 is a great tyre but I prpose the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX

It comes in red and its about the same money on ebay