Need help on chosing a hard tail

Quiksilver721

Mar 15, 2007
Hey all,
Okay well ive decided i want to buy a hard tail mountain bike. Im looking at a max budget for the bike of $900. I want disc brakes, id prefer a front suspension fork that is air based. Im looking to ride 10-20 miles a day on pavement and on the weekends do some trail riding. Ive test ridden three so far: Trek 6000 D, Gary Fisher Piranha, and the Gary Fisher Cobia(29er). The Cobia was nice but ive heard the components arent that great and the frame tends to crack at the seat post, but thats just by word of mouth. The 6000 D and the Piranha are basically exactly the same just ride a little differently. Any suggestions or opinions on some possible purchases would be appreciated. thanks guys

For less than $580 you can get a 2007 Cannondale F5 and then upgrade it over time till youve got a stiff and light bike thats got only the components on it you want. The frame of the F5 accepts standard shocks as well as Lefty's if you like them (need lefty shock, headset, stem, hub). Basically everything on the F5 works fine and every single thing is too heavy!! My bikes 32 or 33 pounds. Just changing the 7 lb fork alone will drop the bike 4lbs!!

if your not the upgrade type-than ignore my post!!

Ray

I actually just purchased an IBEX trophy comp x7. It was within my budget and the components were the best ive seen for the price. Cant wait to get out and ride it.

rayhuang said:
For less than $580 you can get a 2007 Cannondale F5 and then upgrade it over time till youve got a stiff and light bike thats got only the components on it you want. The frame of the F5 accepts standard shocks as well as Lefty's if you like them (need lefty shock, headset, stem, hub). Basically everything on the F5 works fine and every single thing is too heavy!! My bikes 32 or 33 pounds. Just changing the 7 lb fork alone will drop the bike 4lbs!!

if your not the upgrade type-than ignore my post!!

Ray