Need help on info/history of this bike....

Originally Posted by Davy Dee .

Hi,

I have a steel framed Pinarello ( ole ) in the Banisto color's, it is kitted out with Campagnola Mirage, the problem that I have is obtaining a bottom bracket. I have been told by a number of cycle shops that they cant match the threads on the bottom bracket, Italian and British are different.

Can you please advise what the bottom bracket threads could be on this model?
Hmm, i think you should start a thread about it and put on some pictures, coz it sounds a bit weird, as Pinarellos are usually Italian-threaded.
Is there a chance the threads are knackered, which is confusing the bike shop people?

Originally Posted by artemidorus .

It is pretty easy to tell Italian from English. Look at the right hand side thread to see if it is right handed (tightens clockwise) or left handed (tightens anticlockwise). If the thread is right-handed, then you need an Italian thread BB. A quick search on ebay reveals at least 123 italian thread bottom brackets for sale worldwide.
FWIW. Considering I can't tell what the threads on an unmarked FIXED cup might be until I try to remove it ([COLOR= #808080]if I don't already know[/COLOR]), and torquing it the "wrong" way will only tighten it further, an easier way to determine whether a frame has an ENGLISH threaded BB shell or an ITALIAN threaded BB shell is by the BB shell's width ...

An Italian threaded BB shell will be 70mm wide ([COLOR= #808080]at least, in theory presuming an overly ambitious shop didn't shave it down too far when facing the shell![/COLOR]) ...

An English ([COLOR= #0000ff]and, French[/COLOR]) threaded BB shell will be 68mm wide.

Originally Posted by alfeng .
FWIW. Considering I can't tell what the threads on an unmarked FIXED cup might be until I try to remove it ([COLOR= rgb(128, 128, 128)]if I don't already know[/COLOR]), and torquing it the "wrong" way will only tighten it further.
The OP didn't state that there was an existing BB in situ - I suppose that if I was seeking advice about removing an existing BB, I would ask the question in a different way - but I agree that simply turning a fitted cup in a random direction could lead to problems. I meant that he should look at the threads in the shell.

only a few pieces remain original like the head set, stem, and set post. it was a mid 90's top level pinarello, most likely made with columbus sl or slx
nice paint job, sadly it is out of the era to be called vintage, but it is a classci steel bike from one of the top italian manufacturers so great piece to have
carlos
www.bikingthings.com

I disagree, "mid 90's top level Pinarello" steel frames were more likely to be made from Columbus Neuron, EL, EL-OS and the like. By the mid 90's, SL and SLX had been religated to second tier in the Columbus steel hierarchy. Pro level Pinarellos would certainly not have been built of SL/SLX by the mid 90's. Also, a "top level" Pinarello would not have come with Campy's entry level Mirage groupset. DD's bike is a fine Pinarello, but it's more likely an entry level Pinarello painted in the Banesto colours as a way to capitalize on Indurain's rein to sell "team replicas".

For Davy Dee: I have two suggested sources for the bottom bracket and/or information on BB: Velo Orange, they import their own line, I think they have Italian, but you can check their website. Harris Cyclery: They have lots of parts and knowledge about vintage bikes.