caideN said:Hi everyone, I am new and need some help. I've been riding a lot lately with cheap mountain bikes and I hate how it was heavy and hard to ride. Bur now i am going to purchase a road bike that fits me, I'm 17 years old 5.8 in height and weigh about 135lb. I'm not sure what to get because i am completly new to road biking. I have a budget between $300 - $500 USD. I really dont mind if its new or used since I'm new. Can anyone please recommend some bikes or some good sites where I can purchase my first bike? 🙂
Thanks everyone.
Your budget is pretty low for a new "decent" road bike but is possible if you buy last years bikes (and now is a good time to get them as it is the end of the model year). A bike in your price range is the Giant OCR3.
However, a better idea is to get a midrange steel bike from the mid 1980s to early 1990s.These bikes go for AUD300-700 on Ebay and don't weigh much more than a new but low end Alu bike (about 8.5-10kg). When you are on the bike, you won't feel the difference in weight that much anyway.
If you want to go this route, you should look for frames with double butted or triple butted tubing made by the following tube manufacturers: Columbus, Reynolds, Tange, Ishiwata, True Temper. Generally, the majority of bikes from this era were made in Japan and of excellent quality. e.g. some of the National/Panasonic (Yes the Panasonic of the electronics manufacturer Matshushita) bikes with flawless welds, were made in large robot factories like those that make cars .
These older steel bikes will give a more comfy ride over the current Alu bikes and you have the option of upgrading the components when you get better.
The first stop would be to get an idea of the size of the bike you should buy.
The competitive cyclist's fit calculator is a good place to start:
competitivecyclist.comCCYOpen ↗