need help picking out a bike

>I can top out over 40 going down a long steep hill, pedalling hard in
>big gears on a recumbent with high quality high pressure tyres which
>almost certainly have lower rolling resistance than yours. 40 on a bike
>is fast and generally requires working at it unless you have a very low
>rolling and air resistance.

I don't get it, I managed my commuting run in 35 minutes. A distance
of about 7.5 miles. Isn't that an average of something like 13-14mph.
Now a lot of the time I was going up hills at a pitiful 6 mph meaning
to get an average of 14mph I must have been doing well over 20mph
sometimes. I did this run slower than the nighttime run as there was a
lot of traffic so I played safe I wouldn't allow the bike to coast
really fast. Previously I was told that even if I was completely unfit
I should be able to do the run in about 40 minutes. So if my bike can
go beyond 20mph easily and regularly the small increase to near 30mph
doesn't seem particularly amazing but I will check the computer to
make sure the wheel size is right (I'm almost positive its set at
mph). The 40mph is achieved going down a very steep long hill with no
pedalling assistance as theres no way I could assist in anyway as the
gearing isn't capable of it. I have Schwalbe City Jet tyres. 40mph was
frighteningly fast on the bike but there was no wobble. Perhaps some
sort of independant test is in order. I only claim peak speeds of 30
(near flat in my favour) or 40 (down long steep hills).

>> average. It took some nerve/stupidity to do as the brakes took a long
>> time to stop my mass at that speed.

>There's the difference between good and indifferent brakes. You weigh
>more than me, but my bike weighs more and even with 4 pannier loads of
>camping luggage it stops very well. But there again it damn well
>*should* do better, as each of my brakes cost more than your whole bike.

In fairness though its my weight which is causing the reduction in
braking. The brakes are very effective and far better than the old
style brakes on my Raleigh Royal even though I was probably only 13-14
stone when I rode that.

>> I think a normal relaxed cadence
>> will take the bike to about 24mph in its fastest gear

>Unlikely on MTB gearing, especially 6 speed. Not impossible, but I'd
>think unlikely. Maintaining over 20 is pretty hard work IME.

Once I put it in rear gear 6 and front gear 3 and look down I'm doing
20+ with a reasonable cadence. I must admit this is one element of the
gears that is disappointing. As you have to cycle like mad to get to
30mph and thats the bikes maximum speed with actual pedal input for me
anyway. I would like faster gearing so I could achieve 30mph without
my legs going ridiculously fast. At the other end of the gearing the
bike can go as slow as about 4mph with normal cadence and its a job to
stay upright. I looked at sheldon brown's site and it looks like many
bikes gears go well above 24mph at normal cadence in their fastest
gear using his gear calculator web page. My top front gear is 48 and
my top rear gear is 12 and according to sheldon broown this gives a
top speed of 30.6mph at 100rpm so lets say for 15 seconds I go flat
out as fast as possible on a surface which has a gradiant slightly in
my favour with my own momentum wanting to go faster why wouldn't my
bike being doing near 30mph? Even at 80rpm the bike should be doing
24.5mph. I'll try to time my cadence but I'm pretty sure its capable
of doing more than one revolution a second especially when gravity is
in my favour.

>It's certainly not slouching about. The UCI hour record, set in a
>velodrome on a pure track racing bike designed for the job by a
>professional cycle athlete (Chris Boardman) is 32.48 miles. Obviously
>keeping up that speed for an hour is /very/ different to keeping it up
>for a minute, but it's the fastest possible sustainable pace on the flat
>on an upright bike without a fairing, under the best possible conditions.

Thats an average and not a peak reading and its not with a slight
gradience in his favour its flat.

>They'll be very strong, but once you get up past 20 mph (or even near to
>20 mph!) then wind resistance is the real barrier to going faster, with
>the loss to air drag going up with the square of the speed. Which is
>why the UCI hour record is so much lower than the IHPVA record, where
>aerodynamic fairings on recumbent bikes are allowed. This doesn't show
>up on an exercise bike, for obvious reasons.
>
>Pete.

Well its pretty obvious you don't believe my speed claim. Its possible
I set the wheel size wrong but its very unlikely. Looking at the
sheldon brown site I'm reassured that the speed I obtained is geniune.

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

> Not any more than someone light. Heavier objects don't fall any faster.

Yes they do. At least, with similar wind-resisting properties they
get to the bottom faster, though they may initially accelerate at the
same rate.

I'm willing to bet you quite large sums of money that a bowling ball
will fall faster than a balloon of teh same diameter.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On 30/9/04 12:21 pm, in article [email protected], "Peter
Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Not any more than someone light. Heavier objects don't fall any faster.

Typical physicist response. As he is not in a vacuum it is weight/surface
area that is the key thing. This is why I descend like a rock (short and
overweight).

> Also, any bumps that require the bike to go up over them will lose you
> more energy than a light bike/rider (that's what suspension is for on a
> road).

Only if they require you to go up and down. If instead you can use the tyres
as suspension you will lose a smaller part of the momentum as a heavy rider.

theoretical example.

You have a tyre that takes x energy to deform to travel over a bump. This is
a fixed amount dependent on the tyre alone
The energy to lift a rider and bike up over a bump with no deformation in
the tyre is y and is proportional to the weight of bike plus rider.

When a rider hits a bump the least of these two values will be the energy
absorbed: x, or y.

If you weigh little enough then it will be y. If you weigh sufficient then
it will be x.

As kinetic energy is proportional to mvv, a fixed unit change in energy can
be more easily absorbed with less loss of speed by a heavier rider.

So a heavier rider does travel faster over the road if the tyres can absorb
the irregularities in the road.

So this weight advantage works great for downhill and flat but really sucks
on the uphills.

...d

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:49:41 +0100, David Martin
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On 30/9/04 12:21 pm, in article [email protected], "Peter
> Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Not any more than someone light. Heavier objects don't fall any faster.

> Typical physicist response. As he is not in a vacuum it is weight/surface
> area that is the key thing.

Indeed but Peter's line was in direct response to "Surely gravity is
working in my favour with any sort of downhill road?" It isn't gravity
that is in his favour, gravity favours no one.

Colin

Martin Wilson wrote:

> I don't get it, I managed my commuting run in 35 minutes. A distance
> of about 7.5 miles.

If you measured the 7.5 miles with the bike computer and it is
miscalibrated though, it won't be 7.5 miles... How did you measure it?

> In fairness though its my weight which is causing the reduction in
> braking. The brakes are very effective

These things are relative. Try some hydraulic brakes and see if you
still think yours are "very effective". Comparing them to old Weinman
sidepulls on steel rims is rather damning with faint praise!

> Once I put it in rear gear 6 and front gear 3 and look down I'm doing
> 20+ with a reasonable cadence. I must admit this is one element of the
> gears that is disappointing. As you have to cycle like mad to get to
> 30mph and thats the bikes maximum speed with actual pedal input for me
> anyway. I would like faster gearing so I could achieve 30mph without
> my legs going ridiculously fast.

This is unlikely on most MTBs because they're designed to go up mad
******* steep things on poor surfaces, so consequently the gearing is
aimed at doing that. You can change the gearing but frankly I'd be
inclined to change the bike. It is the case that mass production and
sourcing makes components on new bikes very much cheaper than buying
them separately, and since you're not really losing much of an
investment otherwise with a £60 bike it would actually be a very cost
effective way of upgrading the transmission.

> My top front gear is 48 and
> my top rear gear is 12 and according to sheldon broown this gives a
> top speed of 30.6mph at 100rpm so lets say for 15 seconds I go flat
> out as fast as possible on a surface which has a gradiant slightly in
> my favour with my own momentum wanting to go faster why wouldn't my
> bike being doing near 30mph? Even at 80rpm the bike should be doing
> 24.5mph. I'll try to time my cadence but I'm pretty sure its capable
> of doing more than one revolution a second especially when gravity is
> in my favour.

But that would only be 60 rpm at 1 rev a second, so you've got to do
quite a lot more than that. It's notoriously hard to guess your cadence
so I'd try and measure it properly to be sure.

> Thats an average and not a peak reading and its not with a slight
> gradience in his favour its flat.

Quite so, but it is the world's best on a bike on which no expense would
have been spared. 30 mph /is/ fast on a bike.

> Well its pretty obvious you don't believe my speed claim. Its possible
> I set the wheel size wrong but its very unlikely. Looking at the
> sheldon brown site I'm reassured that the speed I obtained is geniune.

It's quite possible you're right. I am doubtful because frankly it's
more likely it's miscalibrated than you're only really stopped from
hitting 30 by low gearing, but "doubtful" is not "certain". As I said
originally, one possibility is that you should look into competitive
cycling when you've slimmed down a bit more if you can really hit 30 mph
on more or less level on a cheap MTB, because that's a very respectable
speed.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On 30/9/04 1:53 pm, in article [email protected], "Colin
Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:49:41 +0100, David Martin
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On 30/9/04 12:21 pm, in article [email protected], "Peter
>> Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Not any more than someone light. Heavier objects don't fall any faster.

>> Typical physicist response. As he is not in a vacuum it is weight/surface
>> area that is the key thing.

> Indeed but Peter's line was in direct response to "Surely gravity is
> working in my favour with any sort of downhill road?" It isn't gravity
> that is in his favour, gravity favours no one.

If it's not gravity then it must be beer and sticky toffee puddings that
favour me (or do I favour them?)

gravity gives more to the heavy. Air resistance takes more from the large.
small and heavy = faster downhill.

large and light = slow downhill.

As air resistance is a minor issue going uphill, gravity sucks more the
heavier you are.

...d

> I'm willing to bet you quite large sums of money that a bowling ball
> will fall faster than a balloon of teh same diameter.

I'll take you up on that, for the price of two return trips to the moon
plus, oooh, 10%. ;-)

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:19:45 +0900, James Annan
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>Gawnsoft wrote:
>

>> The other factor re. Boardman is that, on a velodrome, you're spending
>> a very high proportion of your time going round hairpin bends. If
>> Boardman spent an hour on a straight flat road, he'd go faster.

>Would he? How much? Since his body is actually travelling slower than
>the bike wheels (leaning inside the curve) it seems plausible that a
>straight ride would be slower.

Intuitively, the amount of work done to provide the angular
acceleration round the bends strikes me as much greater than the
shortening of the path of the CoM relative to the measured track the
bike's tyre contact patches follow.

But now I can't stop thinking about it...

(As it'll be, at best, a path shorter by 2pi/(sqrt(2))th * about
three foot shorter, for that part of the 250m that's a bend and not a
straight, assuming he leans by about 45deg in the bends.

So he gets about a 13 foot advantage per lap from leaning in the
bends, which is just over 1 and a half % on a 250m track.

The figure for speed loss on ovals relative to straights I've heard
quoted is for car testing, and that's 2-3mph (IIRC). (And obviously
that depends on the tightness of the bends on the oval, and, I'd
assume, the speed achieved).

So the two effects are on a par, and depending on speed and relative
tightness of bend, one may be larger than the other.

--
Cheers,
Euan

Gawnsoft wrote:

> Intuitively, the amount of work done to provide the angular
> acceleration

What work done to provide the angular acceleration?

James
by treading on the toes of giants.

David Martin wrote:

> gravity gives more to the heavy. Air resistance takes more from the large.
> small and heavy = faster downhill.
>
> large and light = slow downhill.

But Martin will be large and heavy. Assuming he's big in all directions
he'll probably have a relatively better volume/surface are ratio which
would favour him slightly, but this wouldn't work out as well as a
tandem going downhill, because that has the same surface area as a
normal bike and normal rider rather than normal bike and big rider.
Also the case that the extra weight will spread his tyres more than is
typically the case, which will increase his rolling resistance to more
than a light rider. Colour me skeptical but I have a feeling his hubs
won't be the greatest rollers in the world either.

So the weight might help a bit, but we need to realise that "a bit" is
not a huge bit, and I'd think he won't be going /significantly/ faster
than someone skinny.

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch wrote:

> So the weight might help a bit, but we need to realise that "a bit" is
> not a huge bit, and I'd think he won't be going /significantly/ faster
> than someone skinny.

You said you had to pedal hard to make 40mph. I've freewheeled almost
that much (and may well have gone faster, except I put the brakes on as
I entered a village) You have a better bike. The only thing I have on
you is several stone. It has to be the weight.

"Load up on drugs, kill your friends"

Keith Willoughby <[email protected]> writes:

> Peter Clinch wrote:
>
> > So the weight might help a bit, but we need to realise that "a bit" is
> > not a huge bit, and I'd think he won't be going /significantly/ faster
> > than someone skinny.

> You said you had to pedal hard to make 40mph. I've freewheeled almost
> that much (and may well have gone faster, except I put the brakes on as
> I entered a village) You have a better bike. The only thing I have on
> you is several stone. It has to be the weight.

I think he's a bit pessimistic. I know of several hills where I reach
40mph, and I'm not light. There's not many, though.

James Annan wrote:

> Would he? How much? Since his body is actually travelling slower than
> the bike wheels (leaning inside the curve) it seems plausible that a
> straight ride would be slower.

One Robert Lafleur did some sums on this a few years ago

(digs into depths of babbage-box)

Right, 'ere we are, from BHPC Newsletter 52:

`"There are many peculiarities about a velodrome and here's one. The laps
are very short, only 250 metres, so you must absolutely follow the
black line at the bottom of the track which marks the exact spot when you
reach 250 metres. Every metre outside this line for one lap adds 2.51% to
the distance. I had noticed that at about 3m above the black line it was
comfortable riding at 66 km/h, but if you add the penalty of the extra
distance you do on every lap, this 66 km/h translates to 61.97 km/h. So at
62 km/h staying near the black line was still the best option". In the 1km
time-trial, Laurent Chapuis was hitting 76 km/h, but to maintain this speed
he was about 5m above the black line, which translates to a 67 km/h lap
speed."

Moreover, the additional effort required to turn bike and rider through 180
degrees has a significant effect; Robert calculates the extra effort
required knocks your average speed down from 63 km/h to 56. Thus the really
quick guys like Ymte Sybrandy and Laurent Chapuis were turning laps at 72
km/h, but would have been covering the ground at 77 km/h according to their
speedos, while the effort required would
have seen them at 81 km/h on level ground.'

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> You said you had to pedal hard to make 40mph. I've freewheeled almost
> that much (and may well have gone faster, except I put the brakes on as
> I entered a village) You have a better bike. The only thing I have on
> you is several stone. It has to be the weight.

It could be the gradient as well. I'm 76 Kg last time I weighed myself
(around 12 stone) and my bike is 20 Kg so I'm not exactly going for the
no-weight prize. Most of the 1 in 6 or steeper type hills of my
acquaintance that I like to cycle on have rather boring so-called
"corners" and "blind turns" where I have no interest in going as fast as
possible, so I freewheel and brake. Hills where I actually try and spin
the bike out (but have to date failed) are reasonably steep, but not
/very/ steep, and fairly long. For example, around Holyrood Park, where
Jon cruised past me at what his speedo said was 44. Most people
freewheeled it and felt they were doing a tidy speed. See
http://tinyurl.com/4ccn9 for the topography.

Or it could be that I'm pessimistic and/or bike speedos have a tendency
to be optimistic. Either or both are possible.

But whatever the downhill estimates, I still say 30 mph on the (almost)
flat on a cheap MTB without a gale behind is either very, very good
going (especially with platform pedals and standard gearing) or the
speedo is mis calibrated.

Pete.
--

Dave Larrington wrote:

> distance you do on every lap, this 66 km/h translates to 61.97 km/h. So at
> 62 km/h staying near the black line was still the best option". In the 1km
> time-trial, Laurent Chapuis was hitting 76 km/h, but to maintain this speed
> he was about 5m above the black line, which translates to a 67 km/h lap
> speed."

This is, of course, on Sensible Bikes over short distances. 1 hour on a
ludmobile would be less affected, I take it?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On 30/9/04 3:36 pm, in article [email protected], "Peter Clinch"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> David Martin wrote:
>
>> gravity gives more to the heavy. Air resistance takes more from the large.
>> small and heavy = faster downhill.
>>
>> large and light = slow downhill.

> But Martin will be large and heavy. Assuming he's big in all directions
> he'll probably have a relatively better volume/surface are ratio which
> would favour him slightly, but this wouldn't work out as well as a
> tandem going downhill, because that has the same surface area as a
> normal bike and normal rider rather than normal bike and big rider.
> Also the case that the extra weight will spread his tyres more than is
> typically the case, which will increase his rolling resistance to more
> than a light rider. Colour me skeptical but I have a feeling his hubs
> won't be the greatest rollers in the world either.
>
> So the weight might help a bit, but we need to realise that "a bit" is
> not a huge bit, and I'd think he won't be going /significantly/ faster
> than someone skinny.

How much is significantly faster to be significant? On the Dundee/Edi/Dundee
ride I'd get several mph on the others on the downhill. The difference being
that I'd be at the same pace on the hoods (with them tucked on the drops)
and then if I tucked I'd easily pull away (freewheeling). The only
significant difference is the weight, I weigh 90kg compared to the 60kg of
my companion.

If I freewheel down city road I can hit 40 by the bend at the bottom. (OK
that is on the rare occasion, usually I put the brakes on at around 35 and
slow down a lot for the bend). Likewise on the Law road. That is on an MTB
with slicks and sat up. Additional volume is a great bonus as the surface
area increase is much slower than volume increase.

In conclusion, a bit is actually quite a big bit, but yes, 30mph on the flat
(even briefly in a sprint) is good going on any bike in the absence of a
paceline.

...d

David Martin said:
On 30/9/04 1:53 pm, in article [email protected], "Colin
Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:49:41 +0100, David Martin
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On 30/9/04 12:21 pm, in article [email protected], "Peter
>> Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Not any more than someone light. Heavier objects don't fall any faster.

>> Typical physicist response. As he is not in a vacuum it is weight/surface
>> area that is the key thing.

> Indeed but Peter's line was in direct response to "Surely gravity is
> working in my favour with any sort of downhill road?" It isn't gravity
> that is in his favour, gravity favours no one.

If it's not gravity then it must be beer and sticky toffee puddings that
favour me (or do I favour them?)

gravity gives more to the heavy. Air resistance takes more from the large.
small and heavy = faster downhill.

large and light = slow downhill.

As air resistance is a minor issue going uphill, gravity sucks more the
heavier you are.

...d

Oh Help!!

A large body falling in a vacuum falls no faster than one falling outside a vacuum relative to another smaller body provided that the objects are of similar density IE not a canon ball and a feather.
Acceleration due to gravity is a constant, that's why ballistics work. Ie 32' p/ss as a terminal velocity beyond which you cannot go without an exterior force acting upon the body.
Heavy people gain no more or less than thin people when falling. All differences in speed as opposed to acceleration cannot be explained by variable gravity based on a persons weight/mass. Although it's a nice idea it just isn't true.
Now if you had said that the area you were cycling through was affected by distorted gravitational fields due to the proximity of another planet IE Warped Space Gravitational Effect I could have possibly believed you.
Sniper8052

Peter Clinch wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>
>> You said you had to pedal hard to make 40mph. I've freewheeled almost
>> that much (and may well have gone faster, except I put the brakes on as
>> I entered a village) You have a better bike. The only thing I have on
>> you is several stone. It has to be the weight.

> It could be the gradient as well. I'm 76 Kg last time I weighed
> myself (around 12 stone) and my bike is 20 Kg so I'm not exactly going
> for the no-weight prize.

I have 9 stone on you. It's a huge amount of difference, really.

[...]

> But whatever the downhill estimates, I still say 30 mph on the
> (almost) flat on a cheap MTB without a gale behind is either very,
> very good going (especially with platform pedals and standard gearing)
> or the speedo is mis calibrated.

I'll agree with this bit, though. I struggle to hit 20mph on the almost
flat.

Train whistle blowing, makes a sleepy noise

"Sniper8052" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Oh Help!!
>
> A large body falling in a vacuum falls no faster than one falling
> outside a vacuum relative to another smaller body provided that the
> objects are of similar density IE not a canon ball and a feather.

Yup. Except it's not density, it's air resistance you need to consider, ie
take size and shape into account too. Which will fall faster - a little ball
bearing or a big cannonball? The answer is in fact the latter, despite them
being the same density.

> Heavy people gain no more or less than thin people when falling.

And that isn't necessarily so. For example consider our two chaps on bikes,
one somewhat chubby and one verging on the anorexic. Air resistance of the
bikes for the two will be constant (did I mention they're riding the same
sort of bike?). Air resistance of the people is not going to be directly
related to their weight - the larger chap will probably have proportionately
less resistance than the skinny one.
Considering both these parts will show that the heavy chap doesn't have an
equivalent increase in air resistance, so will descend faster.

(Same argument goes for tandems of course).

Yes, it is good to realise that the acceleration due to gravity is
independent of mass. But it is also good to know the other factors which are
involved.

cheers,
clive

Nice troll.