Need help: polishing raw aluminum frame

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Vintage, Jun 21, 2003.

  1. Vintage

    Vintage Guest

    I heard there is a special compound sold on the market to high polish aluminum frame with a rag
    (almost like waxing a car). Anybody knows what kind of product and where to buy? Thanks for
    your time.

    Tags:

  2. "vintage" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I heard there is a special compound sold on the market to high polish aluminum frame with a rag
    > (almost like waxing a car). Anybody knows what kind of product and where to buy? Thanks for
    > your time.

    I wonder if you are referring to the product 'Never-Dull' http://www.nevrdull.com/ cotton wadding
    that polishes aluminum like nothing else I've seen. I used to use it when I was in the motorcycle
    business and 'restoring' British bikes from the '50's and '60's. We used it on the aluminum engine
    cases to bring them up to a high sheen. It also works very well on chrome.

  3. John Albergo

    John Albergo Guest

    vintage wrote:

    >I heard there is a special compound sold on the market to high polish aluminum frame with a rag
    >(almost like waxing a car). Anybody knows what kind of product and where to buy? Thanks for
    >your time.

    perhaps you're talking about "FLITZ"

  4. Marcus Coles

    Marcus Coles Guest

    vintage wrote:

    > I heard there is a special compound sold on the market to high polish aluminum frame with a rag
    > (almost like waxing a car). Anybody knows what kind of product and where to buy? Thanks for
    > your time.

    I've used Mothers Mag wheel polish with some success. It's available at auto supply stores.

    Marcus

  5. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    Never dull works wonders I polished a friends bike with it and it looked brand new got to try it .
    PS it work very easy to .

    --
    J/O Trailblazer At large !!

  6. I'm sure many have suggested this already, but there's a product that I learned about in the Air
    Farce called "Nevr-Dull" (correct spelling) that works wonders on just about any metal. It requires
    a bit of elbow grease, though.

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "vintage" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I heard there is a special compound sold on the market to high polish aluminum frame with a rag
    > (almost like waxing a car). Anybody knows what kind of product and where to buy?

    Simichrome, available at bicycle and motorcycle shops.

  8. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    [email protected] (vintage) wrote:

    > I heard there is a special compound sold on the market to high polish aluminum frame with a rag
    > (almost like waxing a car). Anybody knows what kind of product and where to buy? Thanks for
    > your time.

    The polishes mentioned by above posters are all efective on bare aluminum; however, most aluminum
    components are clear anodized aand this harder layer must be chemically removed before polishing
    will be effective. Furthermore, aluminum bike frames that have been removed from production before
    painting are likely to have been surface-prepared with an etchant. The resulting surface provides
    for good paint adhesion, but also must be removed before a polished surface can be exposed.

    Chalo Colina