Need help: polishing raw aluminum frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vintage

I heard there is a special compound sold on the market to high polish aluminum frame with a rag
(almost like waxing a car). Anybody knows what kind of product and where to buy? Thanks for
your time.

"vintage" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I heard there is a special compound sold on the market to high polish aluminum frame with a rag
> (almost like waxing a car). Anybody knows what kind of product and where to buy? Thanks for
> your time.

I wonder if you are referring to the product 'Never-Dull' http://www.nevrdull.com/ cotton wadding
that polishes aluminum like nothing else I've seen. I used to use it when I was in the motorcycle
business and 'restoring' British bikes from the '50's and '60's. We used it on the aluminum engine
cases to bring them up to a high sheen. It also works very well on chrome.

vintage wrote:

>I heard there is a special compound sold on the market to high polish aluminum frame with a rag
>(almost like waxing a car). Anybody knows what kind of product and where to buy? Thanks for
>your time.
>
>
perhaps you're talking about "FLITZ"

vintage wrote:

> I heard there is a special compound sold on the market to high polish aluminum frame with a rag
> (almost like waxing a car). Anybody knows what kind of product and where to buy? Thanks for
> your time.

I've used Mothers Mag wheel polish with some success. It's available at auto supply stores.

Marcus

Never dull works wonders I polished a friends bike with it and it looked brand new got to try it .
PS it work very easy to .

--
J/O Trailblazer At large !!

I'm sure many have suggested this already, but there's a product that I learned about in the Air
Farce called "Nevr-Dull" (correct spelling) that works wonders on just about any metal. It requires
a bit of elbow grease, though.

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

[email protected] (vintage) wrote:

> your time.

The polishes mentioned by above posters are all efective on bare aluminum; however, most aluminum
components are clear anodized aand this harder layer must be chemically removed before polishing
will be effective. Furthermore, aluminum bike frames that have been removed from production before
painting are likely to have been surface-prepared with an etchant. The resulting surface provides
for good paint adhesion, but also must be removed before a polished surface can be exposed.

Chalo Colina

Status
Not open for further replies.