Need help! Purchasing rear wheel

Cusp

Sep 17, 2006
Hello all!

I would love to purchase a rear wheel + cassette and use it for my indoor trainer. I have the conti indoor trainer tire (orange color) and can't keep popping the tire on and off.

NOW - the problem ... I can't seem to find a cheap rear wheel anywhere. Ebay is selling ... but shipping is killing me - the 'out the door' prices are reaching $60+ for a POS rear wheel. Maybe $80+ 'out the door' for a decent, used named brand wheel.

I can easily purchase a Ultegra tub/Mavic rim at performancebike.com for $130. haha. And for $220 I can purchase a set. Or even the Fulcrum 7s for $200 something. Hell - even Neuvation wheels. The list goes on for wheels in that price range. AND - if I get luck ... like on Nashbar.com - shipping is free.

Should I just replace my STOCK rims (Alex Aclass 298) for the Ultegra/Mavic combo at performancebike (or even another wheel) and use my Alex rim on the trainer?

Granted I'm not looking right now to replace my wheels. If a rear wheel pops up on craigslist for $40 ... DONE! BUT - I know it's stupid for me to pay $80 or so for a POS rear wheel when $120 more gets me a set that's better than my road wheels I'm using. I just don't want to throw money away and STILL may replace my road wheels in the future. Hell - at least now - if my road wheels break or are damaged I can replace them.

What are you opinions? If voted for new set ... and good recommendations for wheels in the $200-$250 price that's DURABLE?

Thanks!