need help: rattling

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by douggie77, May 4, 2003.

1. douggie77

douggie77 New Member

When I pick up speed my back wheel produces a rattling sound. I took it into a bike shop but go it back without the problem fixed.

If anyone can give me advice I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    doug

Tags:

2. MtnBikerChk

MtnBikerChk New Member

hhhmmm. need more info. Are you on the road or on dirt? where does it seem to be coming from? does it go away when you brake? does anything FEEL loose? Can you have someone ride with you to listen too?

3. douggie77

douggie77 New Member

it's like a rattling, or rubbing sound when i ride on the pavement really fast. it goes away when i brake and it doens't feel loose.

i had to wait 2 weeks to get it back from the bike shop because they're really busy this time of the year. i'd send it back but don't want to be without it for so long. i guess i'll have to.

thanks for your reply!

4. jwilmot

jwilmot New Member

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Seems some genious (that would be me) Left a washer off of the brakes when I replaced the brake pads. It would vibrate when gaining speed and anytime I would hit a decent sized bump.

5. Ginzu

Ginzu New Member

Jwilmot could be right. Does the sound come back right away after braking or does it gradually come back? Assuming the braking thing is a coincidence it could be the plastice spoke protecter between the cassette and the spokes is broken and rattling around, it would oscillate quietly or rattle depending how its broken and your speed. Could be a sticking brake, maybe? What did you tell the bike shop to do? What did they say they did?