Need help replacing BB for Shimano 600

Buffalo Dude

Jun 5, 2006
Bike is of unknown age (probably around 12 years old) and uses Shimano 600. Started making a clicking/popping while pedaling, so I want to replace it. Pictures:

IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

Will this work as a replacement?
1143355.jpg

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...olor=NONE&img=/media/o/1143355.jpg&view=large

What size? I'm assuming I measure from end to end (115 mm)?

Sheldon Brown maintains that the 600 crankset goes with a 113mm or 115mm spindle. (I'd go for the shorter spindle as long as your chainrings aren't already quite close to the chainstay; this keeps q-factor small- getting the 115mm, however, guarantees that there will be no disasters). You probably have a 68mm BB shell with English thread (I'm not sure that Shimano ever made BB cups for other thread types).
So, provided that you get spindle length, shell width and thread type right, the one that you have depicted will be fine.
If it were me, I'd get the UN-73 rather than the UN-54 -the bearings ought to last a bit longer.

artemidorus said:
Sheldon Brown maintains that the 600 crankset goes with a 113mm or 115mm spindle. (I'd go for the shorter spindle as long as your chainrings aren't already quite close to the chainstay; this keeps q-factor small- getting the 115mm, however, guarantees that there will be no disasters). You probably have a 68mm BB shell with English thread (I'm not sure that Shimano ever made BB cups for other thread types).
So, provided that you get spindle length, shell width and thread type right, the one that you have depicted will be fine.
If it were me, I'd get the UN-73 rather than the UN-54 -the bearings ought to last a bit longer.
I can't find anyone that sells them anymore :(

Maybe I should buy a couple to stock up because everything else is in excellent condition.

Are you looking in Aus or USA? I have the full range threaded and un-threaded in one of my trade catalogues. :cool:

gclark8 said:
Are you looking in Aus or USA? I have the full range threaded and un-threaded in one of my trade catalogues. :cool:
I'm in USA. Got a couple leads from my LBS that I'll check out tomorrow about NOS parts.