Need HELP - sliding saddle!!

bc1021

Jun 10, 2006
Anyone had any issues w/the Easton EC-90 seatpost (specifically, the mount that secures the saddle)??! Every bloody time I ride, without fail, the saddle slides backwards in the bracket. Obviously, the more climbing I do, the worse it gets. Spun around for a couple of hours today and the stupid thing was a solid inch out of position. I'm definitely at the outer limits with respect to how tightly I can secure the bolt. Any suggestions??

bc1021 said:
Anyone had any issues w/the Easton EC-90 seatpost (specifically, the mount that secures the saddle)??! Every bloody time I ride, without fail, the saddle slides backwards in the bracket. Obviously, the more climbing I do, the worse it gets. Spun around for a couple of hours today and the stupid thing was a solid inch out of position. I'm definitely at the outer limits with respect to how tightly I can secure the bolt. Any suggestions??
Maybe wrap a bit of tin foil around the rail to shim it and give the mounting brackets a bit more to grip?

bc1021 said:
Which one do you have ? What saddle are you using.
Its almost impossible to have the slipping problems unless the clamp is broken some where and or the saddle rails are very small in diameter.
I had a syncors zero set back post with a similiar 2 bolt clamp that cracked when I tightened it to much, you could'nt really see the problem without closer inspection but it wouldn't tighten up enough.

PSTEAS_ec90.jpg

PSTEAS_ec90_zero.jpg

bc1021 said:
You might think this is crazy but beeswax just might do the trick for you. It's got a nice sticky quality to it that keeps things from slipping. It's actually a very nice threadlocker and it works great for mirror pivots (to keep the mirror in position when you hit a bump). Available at farm stores and coops. Cheap. Smells nice, too ;-)

I'd just rub some on the saddle rails and the channels in the seatpost clamp. It also might be a good idea to clean the rails and clamp with alcohol. Maybe something slippery got in there.

Thanks for the suggestion! I've got the offset post shown in the top photgraph and a super-swank, cheapo Forte Pro SLX saddle. Maybe it's the saddle?? Anyway, I checked theclamp and didn't see any fractures at all (I checked for hairline splits, etc...). I'll try the beeswax suggestion that was thrown out there. I also thought about roughing up the rails on the saddle w/some heavy grit sand paper in the hopes that it might bite a little better. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll switch saddles (which probably isn't a bad idea anyway).

I do have to say that I'm a little disappointed in the design of the seatpost (regardless of whether this problem is attributable to the seatpost). I've already exchanged the post once because the nut that is embedded/epoxied in the bracket (the one that receives the bolt on the seatpost clamp) broke loose and was spinning. This one has not done that yet but I'm totally perplexed as to why in the he!! Easton would make that nut round. Why not make it square, or at least put a flat edge on it so the thing won't spin. It's being torqued on so I can't see the benefit behind the round design.

kleng said:
Which one do you have ? What saddle are you using.
Its almost impossible to have the slipping problems unless the clamp is broken some where and or the saddle rails are very small in diameter.
I had a syncors zero set back post with a similiar 2 bolt clamp that cracked when I tightened it to much, you could'nt really see the problem without closer inspection but it wouldn't tighten up enough.

PSTEAS_ec90.jpg

PSTEAS_ec90_zero.jpg

I'll try anything at this point! Thanks for the sugggestion - I'll let you know how it goes. Unless I slide off the back of the bike alltogether and render myself unconscious...

fish156 said:
You might think this is crazy but beeswax just might do the trick for you. It's got a nice sticky quality to it that keeps things from slipping. It's actually a very nice threadlocker and it works great for mirror pivots (to keep the mirror in position when you hit a bump). Available at farm stores and coops. Cheap. Smells nice, too ;-)

I'd just rub some on the saddle rails and the channels in the seatpost clamp. It also might be a good idea to clean the rails and clamp with alcohol. Maybe something slippery got in there.

Thanks for the help - I'll give it a shot.

2 old 2 go slow said:
Maybe wrap a bit of tin foil around the rail to shim it and give the mounting brackets a bit more to grip?