Need help: Specialized Langster foot brake

AndreasJensen

Jun 20, 2012
Hallo single speed geniuses

I have a Specialized Langster 2012 and would like to have foot brake (used fixie for a while but dosn't feel save in the city). My local cycle mechanic told me that it was impossible because of the frame. But I believe nothing is impossible. Does any one know a possible solution??

Thank you in advance and I love the forum.

Regards
Andreas

You CAN have a rear wheel laced up with a COASTER BRAKE hub ...

But, there is more [COLOR= #ff0000]internal resistance[/COLOR] in a Coaster Brake hub than in a regular hub which is properly adjusted AND a Coaster Brake hub will feel as though it [COLOR= #ff0000]weighs-a-ton[/COLOR].

Of course, you can add a rear brake to most frames if you want a rear brake ...

• Since the Specialized Langster is not a "true" Track bike ([COLOR= #808080]AFAIK, that is[/COLOR]), it probably has a brake mounting hole ... if there isn't a brake mounting "hole" then you can drill one ... just measure carefully for the brake's reach since you will need to MOVE the pads up-or-down when the wheel is mounted in a different place ([COLOR= #ff8c00]this is true for all horizontal Track "dropouts"[/COLOR]) if-and-when you change the cog's tooth count + you will ([COLOR= #808080]probably[/COLOR]) want to enlarge the forward facing portion of the hole to allow a recessed nut to nest properly.

BTW. I haven't seen any 32h Coaster Brake hubs, but I haven't really looked.

You can lace a 36h hub with only 32 spokes, but I think you will not be able to use a spoke calculator + you may need two-or-three different length spokes ... it won't be as tedious as that sounds ...

Of course, you can just use a rim with the same number of holes as the hub has.

Dear alfeng

Thank you for the quick respons. I am sorry but I was a little imprecise in my question above. My cycle mechanic says that a coaster brake is not possible on this particular bike frame, because the brake arm cannot easily be attached to the frame. The frame has a special design, so the arm must have a wider angle outwards and that will destroy the coaster brake (and maybe the frame).

Fortunately the cycle already has a back brake, so it is possible for me stop at the moment, but I want to get rid of the hand brakes :)

FWIW. If I understand the "problem" ...

Either YOU or your mechanic simply needs to add a SPACER ([COLOR= #808080]e.g., an axle "spacer" with whatever the appropriate offset is OR a "block" of aluminum-or-wood-or-whatever with an appropriate diameter hole drilled in it, etc.[/COLOR]) which will be sandwiched by the Coaster Brake's "arm" & the P-clamp band ([COLOR= #808080]a semi-custom P-clamp band if the stay's diameter is too large for an out-of-the-package P-clamp[/COLOR]) ... secure with an appropriate length bolt + star washer + nut ...

• OR, you can just bend a semi-custom band which [COLOR= #ff0000]dog-legs[/COLOR] over to where the Coaster Brake's arm is located -- you can make the band from whatever width ([COLOR= #008000]3/8"?, or wider ... wider will be better because it will distribute any stress on the stay across a greater amount of the stay[/COLOR]) BRASS sheet ([COLOR= #008000]¿1/32" thick?[/COLOR]) OR cut a band from a tin can ([COLOR= #808080]remember to finish the edges with a file + emery cloth TO PROTECT YOURSELF & THE FRAME'S STAY!![/COLOR]) ... use a piece of inner tube between the band & stay ([COLOR= #808080]to further protect the stay[/COLOR]) ... make a template from some cardboad, first.

I hope that makes sense.

If not, then I can cobble up an example ... but, I don't know when I can get around to doing it.

Thanks for the respons. I told my mechanic - what you wrote - and he reluctantly began to accept that it was possible. I am no mechanic my self so he needs to do it. But he will give it a shot.

Thank you again for your time and help.

:)

Andreas