Need help storing bikes outdoors

porkchop_d_clow

Jun 14, 2004
My 12 year old son wants me to buy him a fairly expensive bike (Specialized MTB).

I don't mind the cost so much but we don't have a garage and the climate is fairly wet where I live (Pennsylvania). Despite keeping his previous bike under a tarp his handlebars went from chrome to solid rust in only 2 years. Similarly, my Trek has picked up a fair amount of surface rust in the bolt heads.

So, any suggestions for a better way to store these bikes? I really don't want to drop $500 USD on a bike and have it rust out in a few years.

Originally posted by porkchop_d_clow
My 12 year old son wants me to buy him a fairly expensive bike (Specialized MTB).

I don't mind the cost so much but we don't have a garage and the climate is fairly wet where I live (Pennsylvania). Despite keeping his previous bike under a tarp his handlebars went from chrome to solid rust in only 2 years. Similarly, my Trek has picked up a fair amount of surface rust in the bolt heads.

So, any suggestions for a better way to store these bikes? I really don't want to drop $500 USD on a bike and have it rust out in a few years.
That's the drill.The tarp will keep moisture off it,but will also trap moisture which will condense on the bikes with temperature changes. A 12 year old probaably does not need an expensive bike he will outgrow anyway.

How about an inexpensive storage shed? You could put a few of those tubs of moisture absorbing gell inside with the bikes.

I keep my bike in the basement, and run a dehumidifier in the damp months. Sounds like that may not be an option for you.

Unfortunately, that's a non-starter. I live in a townhome with a yard the size of a postage-stamp.

Would a fitted cover keep the moisture out better than a loose tarp?

Don't most townhomes have an attached garage? The bottom line is if you want to prevent rust, you have to store the bikes indoors (in a building of some kind, with a floor). A bike stored outdoors under a cover (of any kind) is eventually going rust. Period.

How about those small storage options provided by "rubbermade"? I believe they make a model that can old a couple of bikes are inexpensive andwon't take up very much room.

Originally posted by meehs
Don't most townhomes have an attached garage?

tell you what, meehs - I'll check when I get home and see if my house has an extra room I never noticed before.

Originally posted by zapper
How about those small storage options provided by "rubbermade"? I believe they make a model that can old a couple of bikes are inexpensive andwon't take up very much room.

believe it or not, they're banned by our home owners' association. I have no idea why, since you'd think they'd look a lot better than a loose cover, which is what I'm using now.

tell you what, meehs - I'll check when I get home and see if my house has an extra room I never noticed before.

Okay porkchop. While your at it, see if you can find that anger management medication that you evidently forgot to take today.

Okay porkchop. While your at it, see if you can find that anger management medication that you evidently forgot to take today.
He did say up front he DID NOT have a garage.

Who's angry? I mean, I admit I'm annoyed that the forum software truncated my user name, but that's hardly your fault.

I guess I should have read the original post better. I stand down!

It's just that where I live they're building new townhomes at the rate of about a hundred per day. They all look identical and have the exact same attached garage. I'm sure this isn't true in all cases.

What's the complete username?

You need to keep the bike somewhere that the air is dry. Outdoors is ok but it needs to be under cover and well-aired - the tarp option probably traps damp air under it and lets rust develop.

From what you are saying I suspect that the best you can do is:

- try to arrange the cover so that air can circulate under it (but not so that rain can blow in).
- do not put the bike away wet - spend a couple of minutes wiping it over with an old towel.
- Have a pretty regular and rigorous maintenance and oiling routine.

This sounds like a lot for a 12 yr old so decide now: get the expensive bike and resign yourself to the fact that it will look grotty quickly, or get a cheaper one (and resign yourself to the fact that it will look grotty quickly). Just do not puy the expensive one and then get upset when the 12yr old acts his age.

believe it or not, they're banned by our home owners' association. I have no idea why, since you'd think they'd look a lot better than a loose cover, which is what I'm using now.

Home owners association...Do more harm than good..but that's my opinion...Good luck in your endeavor...