Need help to decide on HRM

Lazy legs

Feb 27, 2002
I've decided to get myself a HRM for my birthday, my mother-in-law is going to the States (Chicago) in July and I convinced her to bring me a HRM when she comes back.
I've never used one before and am totally clueless as to what to get and what features to opt for. The only thing I know for sure is that it must be a Polar! (They have good backing in South Africa)
I'm a social rider and basically only cycle to stay fit and for the fun off it. I had a heart operation about 3 years ago so I need to keep an eye on it.
I just need something that's not to expensive and maybe being able to get it in the States I can get it a bit cheaper than over here.
If there are members in the States that can help with prices and shops in the Chicago area please help, I tried the Polar site in the USA but it doesn't give prices?

get one of the polar monitors with integrated cycling functions

S150, S510 or S710 if you can stretch to it!

all the polar monitors are good but the top end ones are fantastic, you can download your graphs and keep a diary of training zones, calories distance etc

If you don't need the PC connectivity, interval training etc. type things of the S-series the M-series monitors are pretty good.

Keep in mind though there's a bit of a price overlap between the upper end of the M-series and the lower end of the S.

Hi Lazy Legs

Polar S series definitely the way to go. I would however try and check the prices in the states compared to here. Polar are pretty strict on controls and I remember checking out a S210 in Austria a few years back which turned out to be the same price back home in SA. Just thought you needed to know.

See Ya in the dirt sometime.

Hi there, I'm using a Polar S610 which I find works wonders for me. I did not get the Polar HRM for cycling like that of the 710 etc, due to the fact that these do the extra stuff like speed, distance, cadence etc, but because I've got a Cateye that all does this, I did not really bother, so I bought the S610. It also had the infrared window to transfer data, graphs, etc etc.

I've got the S610 too but i'm going to sell it to buy the 710, i reckon for the extra few bucks its worth it to be able tio check altitude and cadence versus HR and distance etc

the top models are around $300 US . Personally I use the Supergo one which costs $35 and includes a bike computer and mounts on the bar over the stem. Cheap and works well. If I break it or lose it, it costs me less to replace also.

I use to own a 610 and sold it and bought a 710.
The 710 was my fourth HRM and I started out with buying the basic model and upgraded over time.

My advise, go for the 710 straight away. It really is a great tool and I find all information available helps a lot with motivation.

Leon

Tx for all the replies, sorry I took so long to get back to you, but I was in Durban for a week. (No I didn't do the tour D'urban :eek: :eek: . It was a last minute decision to go down and I completely forgot that it was the same weekend, I didn't even have my bike there :( )
Leon, how much did the 710 set you back, you said you got the basic model and upgraded it, how much were the upgrades or is it better to just go for the full house from the start?
climbo, what features have you got on the Supergo? I must admit I've never heard of it here in S/africa, will do some research!

Perhaps I should be a bit clearer on my terminology. By upgrading I mean that I sold my older watch and bought a better model. A very expensive way to get to the 710. Hence my advise to go for the 710 directly.

710 + cadence sensor set me back 3700 last year in May. With the current exchange rate it should be much cheaper.

Leon

Tx Leon, I'll have a look around here and see what the prices are currently and then decide. I also asked the sport shops here and it seems that there will be complications with regards to the warranty if I get one directly from the States so I might just as well get one locally and save some troubles.
How does the 710 work with regards to downloading info on a PC?

try try try and spend up... me being a student i have a limited budget and have had TWO (2) dud m range polar heart rate monitors and am starting to regret the whole experience... damb useful things and make training a lot more precise.. riding without one now just seems plain weird

bomber, wtf do you mean "dud" monitors? I'can't afford to go down that route. Was it just the backup service or the actual equipment?

I've got a ciclosport hac4 plus they have all the functions that you need check the out at www.ciclosport.de they are sponsoring Lance and the rest at Team USPS.

Originally posted by Lazy legs
bomber, wtf do you mean "dud" monitors? Was it just the backup service or the actual equipment?

well i just got a call and they repaired the second monitor for free so service good but its the second monitor i bought but the same problem. i cant vouch for the high end stuff but the M52 seems to have a display problem as both mine have jammed and not come right. the first time they said it was usage (misusage) and refused to fix it however this time they fixed it FREE so i am not sure what that all means but judging by some of the posts here the high end stuff seems a little more robust!! thats why i recommend spending up.... the 2nd M52 was bought this january and failed early last month.

Originally posted by bomber
the 2nd M52 was bought this january and failed early last month.

Tx bomber, my brother had a M52 for about 3 years and it also died on him early this year, he's still waiting for feedback to find out whats going to happen.

I'll see if I can afford the higher end models???

I use the S720i. Worth EVERY cent. Before the 720 I had the M52 (old model, no problems) and a S510. LL, if you do have the bucks, buy the S720, it is worth every cent. PM me if you need more info.

Originally posted by waki
I've got a ciclosport hac4 plus they have all the functions that you need

I looked at the HAC4 very closely before I finally opted to buy a Polar S720i. But I was very interested in the fact that Lance will be using one this year, and also the gradient features. It also semeed to be made for/by cyclists, whereas the S710/720 are plainly not.

But the HAC4 software is pretty terrible (and old), and the manual is almost unreadable. The Polar software is excellent, and that is what finally decided me.

I would be VERY interested in hearing your thoughts on the HAC4 though - how you are finding it in actual practice?

Perhaps in a new thread though....