Need help to ID old Shimano Hubs

spamsux

Guest
I have an old set of Shimano hubs (around 1980-85 I think)
that I need some help to identify. They say on the hub
Shimano, with the Shimano logo right above. Below is
stamped "F" and then "0". They have an oiling hole and a
black clip that covers the hole. I was told they were Dura
Ace, any ideas?

Kristopher

"Kristopher" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have an old set of Shimano hubs (around 1980-85 I think)
> that I need some help to identify. They say on the hub
> Shimano, with the Shimano logo right above. Below is
> stamped "F" and then "0". They have an oiling hole and a
> black clip that covers the hole.
>
> I was told they were Dura Ace, any ideas?

Your description corresponds to a pair of early Shimano 600
Uniglide hubs I once owned, but there were Dura Ace hubs of
similar design. You'll find a picture somewhere here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/

James Thomson

I saw some of the pictures on that site that look just like
these hubs, but there are no details.

Kristopher "James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

<[email protected]> wrote:

> I saw some of the pictures on that site that look just
> like these hubs, but there are no details.

When you said you wanted to ID the hubs, I assumed that you
meant you wanted to identify them, particularly as you
wondered whether they might belong to an old Dura Ace group.
It seems I'm stating the obvious, but if you find the
pictures that best correspond to the hubs that you have, the
group name in the upper part of the page will correspond to
the name of the group to which your hubs belong, and the
details on that page will be those of the hubs belonging to
that group. For example:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/24.html

Shimano 600 EX Road Ensemble

SHIMANO-600 EX small Flange Freehub Model FH-6261 FH-6251
(Silver/6-speed) (Silver/5-speed)

Material . Light Alloy Sprocket . Silver Finish

etc.

Are we on the same page?

James Thomson

It would appear that simple, but the 600EX hub pictures look
just like the Dura Ace hub pictures. I didn't see anything
that would distinguish one from the other.

Kristopher "James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I saw some of the pictures on that site that look just
> > like these hubs, but there are no details.
>
> When you said you wanted to ID the hubs, I assumed that
> you meant you wanted to identify them, particularly as you
> wondered whether they might belong to an old Dura Ace
> group. It seems I'm stating the obvious, but if you find
> the pictures that best correspond to the hubs that you
> have, the group name in the upper part of the page will
> correspond to the name of
the
> group to which your hubs belong, and the details on that
> page will be
those
> of the hubs belonging to that group. For example:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/24.html
>
> Shimano 600 EX Road Ensemble
>
> SHIMANO-600 EX small Flange Freehub Model FH-6261 FH-6251
> (Silver/6-speed) (Silver/5-speed)
>
> Material . Light Alloy Sprocket . Silver Finish
>
> etc.
>
> Are we on the same page?
>
> James Thomson

" Kristopher" <[email protected]> wrote:

> It would appear that simple, but the 600EX hub pictures
> look just like the Dura Ace hub pictures. I didn't see
> anything that would distinguish one from the other.

If you compare:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/30.html

with

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/28.html

you can see that the Dura Ace hubs have chromed locknuts,
and stainless oiler covers, while the 600 hubs have black
steel in both cases.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=36657241-
58 [or got to http://www.ebay.com and enter 3665724158 as a
search term] shows the stainless oiler clip more clearly,
and the second picture appears to show the bright chromed
dust shields embossed with script.

James Thomson

Many thanks, that cleared it up.