Need help to ID old Shimano Hubs

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by spamsux, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. spamsux

    spamsux Guest

    I have an old set of Shimano hubs (around 1980-85 I think)
    that I need some help to identify. They say on the hub
    Shimano, with the Shimano logo right above. Below is
    stamped "F" and then "0". They have an oiling hole and a
    black clip that covers the hole. I was told they were Dura
    Ace, any ideas?

    Kristopher

    Tags:

  2. "Kristopher" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have an old set of Shimano hubs (around 1980-85 I think)
    > that I need some help to identify. They say on the hub
    > Shimano, with the Shimano logo right above. Below is
    > stamped "F" and then "0". They have an oiling hole and a
    > black clip that covers the hole.
    >
    > I was told they were Dura Ace, any ideas?

    Your description corresponds to a pair of early Shimano 600
    Uniglide hubs I once owned, but there were Dura Ace hubs of
    similar design. You'll find a picture somewhere here:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/

    James Thomson

  3. spamsux

    spamsux Guest

    I saw some of the pictures on that site that look just like
    these hubs, but there are no details.

    Kristopher "James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I saw some of the pictures on that site that look just
    > like these hubs, but there are no details.

    When you said you wanted to ID the hubs, I assumed that you
    meant you wanted to identify them, particularly as you
    wondered whether they might belong to an old Dura Ace group.
    It seems I'm stating the obvious, but if you find the
    pictures that best correspond to the hubs that you have, the
    group name in the upper part of the page will correspond to
    the name of the group to which your hubs belong, and the
    details on that page will be those of the hubs belonging to
    that group. For example:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/24.html

    Shimano 600 EX Road Ensemble

    SHIMANO-600 EX small Flange Freehub Model FH-6261 FH-6251
    (Silver/6-speed) (Silver/5-speed)

    Material . Light Alloy Sprocket . Silver Finish

    etc.

    Are we on the same page?

    James Thomson

  5. spamsux

    spamsux Guest

    It would appear that simple, but the 600EX hub pictures look
    just like the Dura Ace hub pictures. I didn't see anything
    that would distinguish one from the other.

  6. " Kristopher" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It would appear that simple, but the 600EX hub pictures
    > look just like the Dura Ace hub pictures. I didn't see
    > anything that would distinguish one from the other.

    If you compare:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/30.html

    with

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/28.html

    you can see that the Dura Ace hubs have chromed locknuts,
    and stainless oiler covers, while the 600 hubs have black
    steel in both cases.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=36657241-
    58 [or got to http://www.ebay.com and enter 3665724158 as a
    search term] shows the stainless oiler clip more clearly,
    and the second picture appears to show the bright chromed
    dust shields embossed with script.

    James Thomson

  7. spamsux

    spamsux Guest